playing PS3 in 1080p via PC possible?

Brett Favre

Feb 4, 2008
I've been trying to find a hardware that support HDMI input to my pc,
anybody know?

How about ATI videocard, do they provide HDMI in ?

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
get a hdmi to dvi cable....plug the hdmi into the ps3 and the dvi into the monitor. make sure the monitor is hdcp compatible though!

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
You should look at it like this: PS3 itself is a complete system. (like a computer) And your computer is, well, a computer. So basically what you're asking is - can I connect computer A to computer B, and have the computer B to output the video/audio of computer A to the monitor that's hooked up to computer B?

Answer: In theory, yes. In practice - meaningless hassle. All you have to do is to find a way to directly connect the computer A (which is PS3) to the monitor (which mainly serves computer B) like secretanchitman suggested. Now, if you're looking to intercept the audio/video signal, that's a whole different story and you will probably need to read a lot about it.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I'm playing PS3 on my BenQ FP241 monitor right now through the HDMI port. I have the PS3 connected to the HDMI port and my computer connected to the DVI port...all's good.

I haven't seen many cards with Video IN lately unless it's a video capture card...and I don't think I've ever seen one with HDMI IN...only HDMI OUT.

Brett Favre

Feb 4, 2008
Thank you so much bros for ur prompt replies.

I'm using Dell 30" display 3007WFP resolution 2560x1600,
not sure whether this can connect directly to PS3 even with hdmi to dvi adapter.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
If there's an HDMI input on the monitor I think it will probably work...at least for games.

Brett Favre

Feb 4, 2008
Originally posted by: thilan29
If there's an HDMI input on the monitor I think it will probably work...at least for games.

Bro Thilan29, I appreciate that,
in my case it a bit different, the LCD I'm using now doesn't provide HDMI in,
so I need to find an adapter that convert HDMI to DVI, can I find this?
coz what I know is DVI to HDMI adaptor that common in stores.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Brett Favre
Originally posted by: thilan29

Bro Thilan29, I appreciate that,
in my case it a bit different, the LCD I'm using now doesn't provide HDMI in,
so I need to find an adapter that convert HDMI to DVI, can I find this?
coz what I know is DVI to HDMI adaptor that common in stores.

What are you attaching the adapter to? Your vid card or your monitor? The Dell 30" really doesn't have a HDMI input ?!!! That sucks!!!
There's a whole host of adapters you can get. I've seen HDMI male-DVI male, HDMI female-DVI male, HDMI male-DVI female, I'm not sure if I've seen a female-female connector though.

I think you're gonna have a tough time finding a video card with HDMI INPUT. The only thing I can think of is to have a DVI switch so you can connect 2 sources (comp and PS3) on one end and have the 1 output to your monitor, then all you have to do is flip the switch to go between the 2.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Yup.. Just realized that Dell 3007 only has one dual-link DVD-D. Also I'm afraid that the monitor may not have a proper scaling capapbility? Meaning you may have a huge letterbox around the movie, or no signal at all even it you connect to it.

You can find a DVI-to-HDMI (or vice verce) from MCM.com. Not too expensive but the bigger issue is that the monitor has only one input source, which kinda limits the choices. I don't even know if there are dual-link DVI splitter existing, and if it does exist, be prepared to pay through nose. ;) Oh and make sure those dual-link DVI splitter supports HDCP, too!