playing Heretic is hard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
got heretic and hexen series on steam. with the exception of Hexen 2, i have to say its extremely hard to play input wise.
no mouse, getting full screen is pretty funky if not impossible. no gamepad. So using keyboard alone to move around efficiently is some funky monkey s** now i'm telln ya.
So maybe there is some way to force mouse input so i can use it to look instead of move forward and back?

gameplay wise, kinda hard to see where i'm supposed to go, usually seems to involve pushing a difficult to see switch where a hidden wall somewhere opens...assuming i can even accurately get from one end to the other smoothly without jittering all over the place due to these funky monkey control schemes.
Can't remember which one, Heretic i think. i see these doors open and close, i time it so i can go through but i get stuck and cant seem to move anywhere. weird. its different not having to look up or down either, though its not really 3d i suppose.

Hexen 2 is much better input wise, but its odd how you again find these switches that opens doors in other rooms. i wasted quite a bit of time wondering back n forth. then i watched the youtube video but lost interest after seeing it.

Remembering back reading all those COD vs old games threads, so many speak so highly of games like this, how their not linear or something...how is this series not linear? its one boxy room to another and another and another. Only difference is i have to wonder around forever finding magic switches.:\

that's the way we used to role back in the day. And people complain about clunky controls now a day? If only they knew.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
LOL looks like I struck a cord. Someone's incredibly insecure about this. :)

o_O LOL.

insecure with controls? sure. i would say its my modern preference and its nice that we have alternatives to play older games in different ways. but you can call it what you want, though its obvious you were never in this thread to actually help though were you. ^_^

There was a "start" and an "end" but you were wide open in your method to get there.
Though I admit I prefer the puzzled in Dark Forces.

Not sure i agree, i mean in many of these types of games, you pretty much start in room, shoot bad guys, exit room. rinse and repeat.
I'm sure in some there may be alternative paths to get somewhere, but you pretty much gotta follow a pretty linear pattern. However linearity doesn't make a game bad.

that's the way we used to role back in the day. And people complain about clunky controls now a day? If only they knew.

lol, because there was no other way to roll back then. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
There was a "start" and an "end" but you were wide open in your method to get there.
Though I admit I prefer the puzzled in Dark Forces.

I can't think of a single puzzle in Doom 1 or 2 that had more than one solution. The correct solution was definitely linear, but unlike current games, you didn't have anything guiding you to the solution.