Playing HD 1080p stuff

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Why is it using so much cpu? Using mplayer or VLC, seems mplayer works a bit better. But i thought that alot of the decoding was done by the video card? I have 8800gt is there anything i need to do to make video card do the work?

Should i use codecs instead of all in one players like vlc and mplayer?

IndieSnob

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2001
Your GPU won't do the decoding if it's in a MKV wrapper. Either remove the wrapper, or get CoreAVC.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Hmmm...just checking but are you in linux? Asking cuz you're using mplayer. I've never had the best experience trying to play HD video in Linux. VLC was the best for playing HD in Linux though. MPlayer/SMPlayer would always go out of sync.

Now as for Windows, I'm not sure how much the video card will go into playing HD video. In general, I would think you should have a dual core processor to play 1080p video, or otherwise its not going to go so well.

UPDATE: Yeah, its like what IndieSnob said. Video cards won't decode HD video unless you have a codec that decodes it for you. You'll need CoreAVC, or perhaps NVidia released some kind of codec/driver for video?

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: IndieSnob
Your GPU won't do the decoding if it's in a MKV wrapper. Either remove the wrapper, or get CoreAVC.

yeah it is a MKV. So your saying if its in a different format coreAVC it will be decoded by the video card?

I see coreAVC is just a codec. MKV is sucky i guess lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoreAVC

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: quadomatic
Hmmm...just checking but are you in linux? Asking cuz you're using mplayer. I've never had the best experience trying to play HD video in Linux. VLC was the best for playing HD in Linux though. MPlayer/SMPlayer would always go out of sync.

Now as for Windows, I'm not sure how much the video card will go into playing HD video. In general, I would think you should have a dual core processor to play 1080p video, or otherwise its not going to go so well.

UPDATE: Yeah, its like what IndieSnob said. Video cards won't decode HD video unless you have a codec that decodes it for you. You'll need CoreAVC, or perhaps NVidia released some kind of codec/driver for video?

No I am using vista 64 with 3ghz c2d, 4GB ram and 8800gt. I switched to MPC and a codec pack and it played perfect... I think my problem was with mplacer and vlc. But it still used quite a bit of processor time, using mpc.

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
VLC doesn't support GPU hardware decoding period. As far as .MKV issues, there are plenty of posts on how to get GPU acceleration to work on programs that support it.