Playing Games on Steam shuts my PC down/off?

areohdee

Feb 4, 2015
Playing a Steam Game will shut down my PC, under a Heavy Load like Metro LL, and under Light Loads like Outlast or Burnout. ANY other games Heavy or Light for my are fine as long as they are NOT Steam games i.e., Crysis 3, Child of Light, Dead Space 3, etc... I can play for hours without a problem... BUT WHEN ON STEAM, they only play for about 10-30 Minutes before it Shuts Down ?!? I have had this happen before, and REPLACED EVERYTHING (Mobo, Ram, PSU, GPU, HDD, and SSD) as it was time anyways.

Specs: 16gb (2-8gb) G skill ripjaw Ram, AMD FX 6300, 128SSD, 2TB HDD, 650 Watt Kingwin PSU, MSI 970A-G46, Power Color R9-280

Any help/thing you guys can think of would be awesome ;-)

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I very much doubt this has to do with your PSU, considering that you can play other games without incident. Perhaps the "Computer help," "PC gaming" or "Software for Windows" forums would be a better fit?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Hello areohdee, I saw your other post and glad you re-posted. When you say "power down" are you talking about a shut-down sequence, blue screen, or immediate (hard) power down, going to the BIOS screen?

Some blue screens can be missed, so it would be a good idea to go to the Windows folder and look for a Minidump folder. If there isn't one there, then you don't have any memory dumps.

I think it would be a good idea to have some temperature monitoring software active what you are gaming. If you don't already have one, CPUID HWMonitor is a good one. Play a game and let us know what your CPU and GPU temperatures get up to.

I will go ahead and say this: if your CPU and video card are not getting too hot, and there are no dumps (you just get hard reboots), the power supply could very well be the culprit here. Not necessarily that the power supply has gone bad, it is just might be a little low on power for an R9-280.

Last edited: