Playing games like Assassin Creed on the PC.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
With a mouse and keyboard...

Not going to lie but it was pretty hard. I feel like playing the Assassin Creed series on the PC with a controller felt the best.

twinto23

Jun 6, 2014
well, it just like I feel hard to play diablo 3 on ps3 with controller
and I cant play FPS game with controller, but good with mouse and keyboard!

all base on which style you feel comfortable

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
all base on which style you feel comfortable

This is true. However, it's also true that there are some games which are simply designed for a particular control scheme more than another. Assassin's Creed is a game that's arguably designed around a gamepad first and foremost.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
I didn't find it awkward at all. Loved steering the ship with the mouse.

Scroll wheel up, full sail. Argh!

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
It wasn't bad, but it certainly doesn't add any extra utility over the controller.

Aug 11, 2008
How about BF3? I got it cheap on a humble bundle and am playing the single player. Seems like flying and especially the tank driving parts are awful with a KB/mouse. I don't play on console or use a controller with my PC, but it seems in every game I have played, driving/flying levels are terrible with a KB/m. Or maybe its just me.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
3rd person....controller
Racers...wheel
Flying...stick

Just use what's obvious. But a keyboard with any game is ergonomically terrible and uncomfortable imo. It's also one of the few peripherals thats not that great using an htpc on the couch. I have a Nostromo if I have to use digital movements.

Feb 6, 2007
Fortunately modern game controllers work with PCs and most games offer native controller support, so you don't have to be stuck with a mouse and keyboard if it doesn't feel right to you. I mean, let's face it, if you're willing to spend hundreds or thousands on a gaming PC, you can shell out $40 for a controller. I don't understand the point of threads like this because the option to use a controller exists without any workarounds; you just have to buy the thing. If PC games didn't support controllers, ok, that would suck, but they do, so what exactly is the complaint?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I played Assassin's Creed II with a controller, which was just fine... until I got to the DaVinci Gatling gun segment. It was like playing a third-person shooter on a console! D:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
How about BF3? I got it cheap on a humble bundle and am playing the single player. Seems like flying and especially the tank driving parts are awful with a KB/mouse. I don't play on console or use a controller with my PC, but it seems in every game I have played, driving/flying levels are terrible with a KB/m. Or maybe its just me.

IMO those parts are terrible anyway.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Oubadah is right, I think all the Assassins Creed games possibly since AC2 have diabolically bad mouse acceleration which makes the otherwise superior mouse control really awkward and hard to use. You cannot turn it off in the menu.

I don't know what it is about developers these days, how do they NOT GET IT YET? Forced mouse acceleration is hated by just about every PC gamer who knows how to move a mouse, it's not in the least bit excusable on the PC release yet we constantly see it, god it's irritating. Watch dogs released with it for the PC with no menu option to disable either, it's like the people porting it to the PC are completely out of touch with PC gamers.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Assassin's Creed plays infinitely better on M&K. However they ruined mouse input for the second game with acceleration, and I honestly can't decide which is worse; the broken mouse input or the general controller handicap. I'm not sure if they ever corrected the acceleration in any game beyond AC2.

I disagree totally here. How can a game on a 3D plane where you can move faster or slower depending on how far you press an analog stick over play better on a keyboard that is either on or off? There is no way to vary your movement speed with a WASD config outside of a dedicated button for walk vs run.

You aren't always free running in assassins creed either and often times need to walk slowly to avoid guards. Analog sticks help tremendously.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Whether a game feels more comfortable with a KBM or controller is generally based where the camera is positioned and whether you have independent control of it imo.

In general, a game that restricts your control of the camera will play better with a gamepad because WASD is very directionally limited on it's own. Playing Bastion on KBM was annoying (but workable) because most of the longer, narrow paths in the game weren't a 45 degree angle so you couldn't simply walk along them with "WD" or "SD" for example, you had to basically take long zigzag routes across them.