Playing around with my Canon 30D this morning

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I wanted to capture a 1 second shot of my watch to show the movement of the second hand and you can just make it out in this pic. I had to mount the camera on a tripod with the lens about 10 inches away from the subject to get this shot. No flash or other external lighting used.

Lens is a 50mm f1.8 and I have it on a 12mm extension tube.

Took an even better one this morning using a 20mm extension tube.

2mfk5l2.jpg

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Not sure if you're trying to show off the watch or the camera, but you get a thumbs up for both.

More the photography than anything. I saw someone posted a similar picture of a watch on a watch forum I frequent that captured the movement of the second hand and I wanted to try to capture the same thing. It was surprisingly difficult to get the lighting and the exposure right along with the close up I wanted.

The camera I've had for probably a decade or more. It is pretty old in camera years.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I demand to know what was in the reflection at the bottom of the watch face bezel. You covered it up in both pictures with little dots (first blue, then grey)

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
I demand to know what was in the reflection at the bottom of the watch face bezel. You covered it up in both pictures with little dots (first blue, then grey)
I didn't notice this until you pointed it out. OP, we demand you show us the unaltered pictures.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

This is the equivalent of blotting out the license plate on car pics posted online. In this case it is the serial number of the watch.

Last edited:

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
why would the serial matter?
the license plate can lead to a house address.
your rolex serial number can be traced to your home address too?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

There are a couple different theories floating around the interwebs.

Apparently, some people report their watch as stolen using a legit serial # which can be verified as legit. I guess their insurance co pays out without requiring an appraisal (and hence someone else verifying possession by insured of that particular piece). Some folks have reported that Rolex service centers will hold their watch if their database shows the piece as having been reported as stolen, even though the owner who sent it in has all the paperwork.

The issue has to do with counterfeiting watches. Several dealers I have spoken with have told me that replica watch makers search the internet for serial numbers for expensive watches. A counterfeiter is not interested in manufacturing a watch that retails for $50. A serial number that has been used for a while can compromise the marketability of a fake watch. Manufacturers of higher end watches track serial numbers reported on fakes of their watches. If a dealer of pre owned watches is in doubt, they call in the serial # to a manufacturer to find out if that number has been reported on a fake watch. It is a continuous cat and mouse game. One dealer said to me he makes numerous such calls a year and that if a manufacturer has no report on a particular serial #, that would usually be good enough for him, and that he has caught a few by making such calls.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
That watch is MUCH better looking than that garish gold one you posted about the other day.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That is a pretty cool shot, very clear. Should do a 1 minute exposure, might need to use a ND filter or something.

Any product serial number can eventually lead to your address as there is a record of purchase somewhere so they'll get a name and credit card number. Credit card can then easily lead to your address. If it's an online purchase then it's even easier as they go by delivery address.

Considering practically every corporation's database has been hacked in the past years even someone with no authority could probably find the info if they really wanted to.

That said I have posted the odd pic that may have my address. I have a security system and a vicious cat, bring it on. :p

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
That is a pretty cool shot, very clear. Should do a 1 minute exposure, might need to use a ND filter or something.

Any product serial number can eventually lead to your address as there is a record of purchase somewhere so they'll get a name and credit card number. Credit card can then easily lead to your address. If it's an online purchase then it's even easier as they go by delivery address.

Considering practically every corporation's database has been hacked in the past years even someone with no authority could probably find the info if they really wanted to.

That said I have posted the odd pic that may have my address. I have a security system and a vicious cat, bring it on. :p

Thanks man. I might play around with it a bit more tomorrow. Trying to fix photoshop elements right now so I can play around with sharpening and other settings. For some reason Elements hasn't worked on this system in a while due probably to a windows update.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Yeah yeah... whatever.

I would have posted this in the digital camera subforum but there hasn't been a post in there since Wednesday. I thought some here might think the pic was kind of cool. It wasn't easy to setup as I haven't really been playing around with the camera much lately. I had the day off so it was kind of fun to dust off the photography gear and play around with it this morning.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Yeah yeah... whatever.

I would have posted this in the digital camera subforum but there hasn't been a post in there since Wednesday. I thought some here might think the pic was kind of cool. It wasn't easy to setup as I haven't really been playing around with the camera much lately. I had the day off so it was kind of fun to dust off the photography gear and play around with it this morning.

There is really way to many sub forums. No idea why they don't merge several of them into off topic.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah yeah... whatever.

They've been waiting all week for you to post there.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
There is really way to many sub forums. No idea why they don't merge several of them into off topic.

I've been saying that since they split the forums. The garage barely has any activity lately. It was stupid to make so many subforums IMO.

OT used to be epic with hundreds of people viewing and posting at any given time.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
grab yourself a macro lens they are a ton of fun and often double as great portrait lenses too as they are often at around a 105mm length