Played Nintendo Wii for the first time yesterday.....

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Weak.

That about sums up the Wii. That can only be fun for so long....even the owner said, and I quote, "Yeah, I'll probably play it for a couple weeks and then it will sit there collecting dust"

I will, however, try it again when they release a hockey game...as long as the graphics aren't as cheesy as the sports games I played last night.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Anyone judging the Wii, judge it when it's running with the component cables and not the crappy composite cables. Progressive scan makes so much of a difference it isn't even funny, even in ancient GC games, like SSBM, which wasn't even progressive scan to begin with (AFAIK, it just outputs 480i in that case).

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Anyone judging the Wii, judge it when it's running with the component cables and not the crappy composite cables. Progressive scan makes so much of a difference it isn't even funny, even in ancient GC games, like SSBM, which wasn't even progressive scan to begin with (AFAIK, it just outputs 480i in that case).

I am judging the gameplay and the actual cheesy graphics...not the quality of the picture. Hi-Def will not make it anymore/less enjoyable. Typical Nintendo style graphics.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DaTT

I am judging the gameplay and the actual cheesy graphics...not the quality of the picture. Hi-Def will not make it anymore/less enjoyable. Typical Nintendo style graphics.

Are you criticizing the system or the games? :confused: What games did you play? The graphics in Madden 07 aren't cheesy, they're just lower resolution.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: DaTT

Are you criticizing the system or the games? :confused: What games did you play? The graphics in Madden 07 aren't cheesy, they're just lower resolution.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Wii Sports, different strokes for different folks, having crazy Wii Tennis tournaments with 8 people is pretty fun if you ask me.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
What a thorough and detailed analysis. You clearly put careful consideration into the review of the wii and backed up everything you said with examples.

Wait, no you didn't. Your post was... what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah, weak.

Killerme33

Jan 17, 2006
Gotta agree w/ the OP. I have a Wii and for the most part its collecting dust. Wii sports is a fun party game but gets old fast.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Well I don't completely disagree with the OP. I played Wii sports several times and it does get old fast. Zelda was pretty cool but not ground breaking or anything.

Feb 19, 2001
Too many of the games are like 1-at-a-time gameplay. You don't relaly use all 4 controllers at the same time unless you're playing Wii Tennis or something...

Graphics suck compared to an xbox360 but hey... Gears of War looked incredibly jagged yesterday on my friend's HD set. I know there are computer games with far better graphics when you turn eye-candy up... but hey... since when were game consoles the leaders in graphics? =P

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I bought a DS a couple weeks ago. I've played it more than the Wii I've had since launch day. It was fun for a couple weeks.

I finally sold the Wii on eBay a couple days ago. Good thing b/c it appears that the supply is finally catching up.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

SSBM, and all Nintendo made or published Gamecube games except wario ware, supported Progressive Scan, even if the back of the box didn't say it for most. About 1/3rd of all 3rd party games did as well.
Nothing changed going to Wii, the Gamecube games that could play in pscan on the cube still do, those that didn't don't.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
make sure you play Zelda for the Wii before you make such a bold statement about the whole platform. you played Wii Sports which is intended to be a cheesy game. it is a fun game not mean to provide good graphics or hours of immersive game play. go play Zelda for the Wii and then tell us what you think. that game has awesome graphics. not 1080p graphics, but awesome graphics relative to what the platform can offer.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Odd. I played it for the first time too as well. It was fun but I know i would need a special game to get me to really want it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
the one bigt thing they are missing is another hit. Zelda was great. but they need something else.

i havent played my wii much. but i know darn well they are going to have more great games.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I disagree. I think it looks better with slightly blended edges than with crisp sharp jagged edges on everything. 480i tp 480p is a super small difference, especially at the same resolution.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Well you played a game that came FREE with the system. It is fun especially with friends but obviously not hardcore. Zelda really is the only good game on the system right now. I have 6 Wii games and Zelda really is the only good one but of course the others are fun too.