Played a good joke on my girlfriend

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Well I'm at work the other day and my girlfriend signs on and apparently she's over at her grandmother's house on her computer. Now just a little history on that, her grandmother had been wanting a computer for the longest time, doesn't know much about them though so was afraid to buy one. She kept talking about it to her son hoping he'd go get her one(he's not too computer savvy either, but a lot betetr than her). So when my grilfriend's brother moved back home they gave her grandmother the computer since he wasn't using it anymore. Needless to say she dove right into it but had trouble learning how to use it because she'd never used anything like it before. I went over to help her but I mean she was so bad she couldn't use the mouse yet. The point and click you and I take for granted just wasn't coming easy to her. I set her up playing solitaire a lot and that helped a bunch. Well anyway she was always asking her family questions and after a while they would laugh at her because she used to call the mouse "the rat" and other funny things like that. I felt bad for her cause she was trying so hard to learn. So when my girlfriend told me her grandmother was there and that she had gotten an error message with a blue screen saying something about "synth" and she was wondering what it was, I decided I was going to make her look really dumb in front of her grandmother to get back at her for teasing her granny so much, hahaha.
The first thing that popped into my mind when I heard "synth" was sound card, or something related. So I had her go around the back of the computer and find the sound card. Then I told her to unplug the speakers because they were plugged in. So she does that. Then I told her to tap on the jack where the speakers plugged into the sound card while holding her ear next to the monitor and listening for strange noises, lol. She tells me "I didn't hear anything", so I'm like "Uh oh this could be bad!". Then I tell her to check for burn marks on the card by the jack. By this time I'm cracking up in my cubicle at work. Of course she doesn't find any burn marks. While she was checking that I uploaded a web page to my site and I told her that she should go to the page, that it was a diagnostic that would check her card for her. So she does. On the page I put something to the effect of, "If you're reading this message, there has been a catastrophic failure in your sound card. You need to unplug your speakers from it immediately, grab one speaker in each hand,(scroll down)..
and yell out "Frank made me look stupid in front of my grandmother!"

She said her grandmother was laughing her ass off at her for like 10 minutes, hahaha. So now I don't think she feel discouraged if they make fun of her anymore cause she knows that they aren't exactly rocket scientists either.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
lol.. that's a pretty good idea. I mean, it's annoying to get laughed at by people discouraging you from taking up their hobby. Nice to see you preventing that and exposing the real noob...

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
thats funny! i remember the day i used to laugh at my parents for being so non-computer-savvy, but now if i'm home i'd have to fight for the computer with them. my mum couldn't even power it on once upon a time, now she sends me emails regularly and tells me cool websites to visit!

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
That's pretty funny! :)

btw, ever hear of a paragraph?

Yeah I never know where to break up into paragraphs. I've always thought you used them to kind of delineate your thoughts so I did one on the history behind her grandmother's computer use and one on the joke I played. Didn't think it was that bad. I guess if you're not running 1024x768 it could look a little long.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
That's great! And a :beer: for your gf for not kicking your @ss. Well, maybe she did anyway;):p

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
So this is what u do at work...i wonder if ill be able to do that if they hire me?

lancestorm

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: z0mb13
paragraphs are ur friend..

and cliff notes please

Paragraphs are nice, but I was able to read and comprehend. You should try that sometime too.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
and tonight is when you scream, "damn! I'm not getting any this weekend because of a stupid joke!"

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
and tonight is when you scream, "damn! I'm not getting any this weekend because of a stupid joke!"

She got a little mad, but she thought it was funny too that she fell for it. She also liked that I was making her grandma feel good, so I did alright ;)