Play local media across to smart Tv ?

Nov 26, 2005
Is it possible to play local content from a PC to a smart tv on a LAN ?

EDIT: And how does one do this?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2005
Depends, what protocols does your Smart TV support?

Just so you know I might be coming back for help on this with the new TV I recently bought.. I'm just waiting to find the right TV stand but currently the device I am using for connectivity is an LG BP620C Blu-Ray player that has both ethernet and Wifi capabilities. Then I connect that to a 37" Dumb TV (haha) via HDMI.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
http://www.lg.com/us/blu-ray-players/lg-BP620C-blu-ray-dvd-player

That's the product page. So start by seeing what video files are supported:

MPEG2
MPEG4 AVC (H.264)
MKV
AVC Rec
AVCHD
M4V
WMV
3GP
FLV
VOB

So the player supports those file types, which is good. And the player also support DLNA, also good.

Then you have to look at delivery method:

Network - DLNA server. Tversity, PS3 Media server, Plex, PlayOn. All of these, plus others.

USB - The player will play natively supported files off a USB drive as well.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is a lot easier if you have a computer play the files over the network and connect the computer to the TV over HDMI. Just go the HDTV manufacturer's website and look for the instructions. There may be a menu option to connect to a server in the HDTV menu. Might need the IP address of the computer and it probably has to be in a shared location to access it. The tv manufacturer might have some software you can download to help with this. There is no one size fits all answer for this that will work with every HDTV. I use a Samsung 40" HDTV and they have their own software.

Often the Manufacturer has a forum on their website for stuff like this.

Nov 26, 2005
This is a lot easier if you have a computer play the files over the network and connect the computer to the TV over HDMI. Just go the HDTV manufacturer's website and look for the instructions. There may be a menu option to connect to a server in the HDTV menu. Might need the IP address of the computer and it probably has to be in a shared location to access it. The tv manufacturer might have some software you can download to help with this. There is no one size fits all answer for this that will work with every HDTV. I use a Samsung 40" HDTV and they have their own software.

Often the Manufacturer has a forum on their website for stuff like this.

Thanks, man. I see there is some new "all share" advertisement on the newer TV I have. That's probably somewhat along the lines of what I am trying to do with this other setup.

Thanks, again

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
http://www.lg.com/us/blu-ray-players/lg-BP620C-blu-ray-dvd-player

That's the product page. So start by seeing what video files are supported:

So the player supports those file types, which is good. And the player also support DLNA, also good.

Then you have to look at delivery method:

Network - DLNA server. Tversity, PS3 Media server, Plex, PlayOn. All of these, plus others.

USB - The player will play natively supported files off a USB drive as well.

:thumbsup: Good answer. I use Plex myself and it works pretty well.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just copy the files to a thumb drive and my TV plays them. Only tried .avi, xvid, mpeg, and divx but all worked great.