Plastic garbage patch the size of half of Australia in the Pacific

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Somethings gotta give.

Just like our economy, the planet Earth needs a "correction" every now and then to wipe the slate clean.

The next 50 years will be a fun ride.

You don't understand time as it relates to the planet, do you?

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Socio
No clean-up efforts are under way, according to the NOAA and researchers. Moore and Eriksen said such an endeavor wouldn't be feasible because of the distance from land.

Why could they not take those huge barges out there and some boats outfitted with tight mesh nets and troll for this crap and load it on the barges?

Or better yet use something in the areas like the substance they use on oil slicks that makes the oil dissolve.

I would guess that the logistical challenge of moving hundreds of miles off-shore, and then filtering millions of cubic kilometers of water with a net, and then returning to land to unload, all while fast-moving currents continuously deposit new material into the vortex would be a little much.

Heck, I would wager that the amount of energy that would have to be expended in such an effort would more than offset any positive results of such an effort by at least 3 fold.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
Yawn........

I guess I will go out on a limb here and assume like bush you are religious person? I mean ... if over 80% are like bush and believe in the same way...... You align you views with him since they voted him in for this reason... He hasn't really done much for the environment... Personally we could have banned cars a long time ago that get piss poor gas millage.... We could be doing a LOT of stuff to clean up our environment but you choose not too. If our leader wanted to pass a cleaner bill or to make a plastic that maybe cost more but only took 3 years to break down or put more money into trash burning power plants to get rid of waste and turn it back into energy. We could be doing lot's but he chooses not too. Don't know what the problem is; Maybe it has something to do with religion ... Maybe not...

But I will group it all together ... Tie it all in and say that it all goes hand in hand... From what I read in the papers about religion (maybe they are the extreme type) but a lot of religion topics these days revolve around that they could really care less what happens to the planet, the rapture will save them no matter what.... Bunch of BS to me. Doesn't mean you can't ignore the problems around you. If you are in power to change the world then do it. If you read the bible then supposedly god put all the animals and resources for us to consume and do with any way we wanted to.... Show some respect!

Don't like my logic? Then piss off....

Actually, my care for the environment is due to my "religious" beliefs. I agree that more laws need to be put in place to protect the environment.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
bbdub333-

The only way to filter it properly is to use the natural ocean current eddy to concentrate the debris.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
It is the fault of religion, the new religion based consumerism, selfishness and greed all in reverence to the god called the Almighty dollar,euro,etc.

That old religion with beliefs such as "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself (or commonly known as treat others the way you want to be treated)" need not apply anymore since it gets in the way during the pursuit of profits and pleasure.

agibby5

Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: yllus
The ecosystem isn't going to break down. It will adjust, change and/or preserve itself. Whether or not it will change to something we find comfortably livable is another matter.

If we don't find it comfortable (Earth, our natural habitat), wouldn't that mean that it's breaking down?

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: 1prophet
It is the fault of religion, the new religion based consumerism, selfishness and greed all in reverence to the god called the Almighty dollar,euro,etc.

That old religion with beliefs such as "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself (or commonly known as treat others the way you want to be treated)" need not apply anymore since it gets in the way during the pursuit of profits and pleasure.

I don't see any difference between how greedy/self centered/uncaring people are now compared to the last few thousand years. We have been deforesting, whipping species off the face of the earth and clubbing our neighbor for quite some time now. North America being a prime example of before and after when the first natives arrived.

As for this mass of plastic, does it really matter at all? Are there algae blooms or other organisms on the surface that form the base of the food chain that far out?

But if it gets into the food chain then yea, we have a problem.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
IMO this topic has nothing to do with religion so it should have no part in the discussion. All that does is derail the main point.

I have to ask though, does this really surprise anyone? We live in a society where most smokers toss their butts out the car window or outside the stores when there's a container right up front. Done with your soda bottle? Toss it out the window. Next time you're at an intersection look at the median or take a walk alongside a highway and look on the ground. You can't see it at 70mph but if you slow down you'll see there's a lot of garbage there. I live directly across the street from our neighborhood pool parking area. Not a day goes by where some tool doesn't leave their fast food bag, bottle, coffee, etc in the parking area. The truth is there's a lot of people who just don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Robor
IMO this topic has nothing to do with religion so it should have no part in the discussion. All that does is derail the main point.

I have to ask though, does this really surprise anyone?

We live in a society where most smokers toss their butts out the car window or outside the stores when there's a container right up front.

Done with your soda bottle? Toss it out the window.

Next time you're at an intersection look at the median or take a walk alongside a highway and look on the ground. You can't see it at 70mph but if you slow down you'll see there's a lot of garbage there. I live directly across the street from our neighborhood pool parking area. Not a day goes by where some tool doesn't leave their fast food bag, bottle, coffee, etc in the parking area.

The truth is there's a lot of people who just don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.

Hey hey hey, that's the best attribute of Americans

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: yllus
The ecosystem isn't going to break down.

It will adjust, change and/or preserve itself.

Whether or not it will change to something we find comfortably livable is another matter.

Actually it sounds like an opportunity.

With the ice sheets melting and losing tourism ground someone can take tourists to see the great giant sheet of garbage.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: ericlp

Don't like my logic? Then piss off....

It's not that I don't like your logic, It's just that I can't find your logic.

Also, could you please post some links backing up your claim that 80% of the world doesn't care about pollution because they are religious? TIA.

Try this on for size... The native americans didn't have a problem keeping the planet clean... Maybe we should all go back to the teachings of that religion?

Proof, links, blah...blah.... Try google....