Plasti-Dip on wheels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I'm making this thread before I even purchase the car that I'm getting, but the plan is to drive down and get it this weekend so I'll make a post anyways. The plan is to get the '02 SOM WS6 I posted about before, pictures below. However, the car needs new tires this summer. Cheapest 275/40R17 tires hover around $125-$150 each, meaning I would have to spend around $600 after mounting/balancing for new tires. A local Camaro owner said he would sell me his C6 Z06 deep dish wheels for $750, with (cheap) tires at around 70% tread left. I have never seen the wheels in person, but I'm assuming they have minimal wear and look like new. They are gunmetal, with chrome lips. Sizes are 17x9.5 front (275/40R17) and 18x10.5 rear (285/35R18). Picture of his car included below. Here is his reason for selling...

That picture was from 3 years ago before the car was lowered too. I like the way they look but I want stickier tires and I'd like to go with 18's all the way around so that I can use Kore3 brackets and swap in C6 Z06 monoblock calipers all the way around. I would just buy two front 18's but they only make that style in 18x8.5 or 18x10.5

I'm not too fond of the chrome lip, so I was thinking about getting some orange Plasti-Dip and making the lip orange if I get them. I'm hoping it would look something like the Z06 Vette below, which is also SOM. I think this lip will be a bit larger than that, but it kinda gives me an idea of what it would look like. What are your thoughts? Even if I keep the C6 Z06 wheels the way they are now, would that be a good deal to get those and use those wheels/tires rather than getting brand new tires at almost the same price? I really like the WS6 Speedlines, but it just seems like I might as well take the other wheels/tires for around the same price.

Here are the pictures...

Car I'm getting:

tafront.jpg

tarear.jpg

taside.jpg

C6 Z06 deep dish wheels:

marowheels.jpg

SOM Vette with orange lip:

vettewheels.jpg

Sep 7, 2009
Personal preference, but I'm not a huge fan of black wheels. If it were me, I'd pull the tires off and have them refinished in whatever color you want.

Plastidip seems to work ok for stuff that isn't scrubbed on, I'm not so sure about on wheels.

Hecubus28

Jan 29, 2005
I plasti dipped my wheels over the winter and it held up fine. It didn't peel at all even when power washed.

Just pulled the plasti dip off last week with no problems. The stuff is cheap so it wouldn't hurt to try it if that's what you like.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
The black on the rear bumper is actually plasti-dip too. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot, if I do get the wheels. Now I have to decide if I want to spend $600 on just tires, or $750 on the wheels and tires. Wouldn't mind having a spare set of wheels to put slicks on if I take it to the track...

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Maybe you should just get a Camaro. Look how much cleaner it looks

Lol naaahhh... I like the look of the LT1 Camaros more than the LS1 Camaros, but I like the LS1 motor a lot more than the LT1. So, in the end, I went with a Trans Am. :D

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
First off: DAMN! Nice car dude, I really like WS6 Trans Am's.

So, I like to pick wheels that compliment the car's main lines. The TA's have bold, curvy lines with some sharp accents. The Z06 wheels are too square and sharp to really go with the car imo. Adding an orange accent to wheels wouldn't be a terrible thing, but I would go with something like a line along the edge where the dish of the wheel meets the spokes. I think that preserving the polished/chromed appearance of dishes always looks better.

If you're thinking about DR's in the future, I would say that it's better to get two lightweight rims which are wide enough to mount some serious rubber than to get a relatively heavy C6 rim which may not fit a wider tire than you have now. This would net you at least better grip for launch, and maybe a lower moment of inertia (depending on tire weights).

Let us know how the new ride works out for you! I'm really happy to see someone picking up such a nice car.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Picked up the car Saturday, long day but worth it. Talked the guy down from $12.5k to $11k, car is not perfect but drives great and sounds mean. Registering it in NYS today, then I need to take care of a few issues, get it inspected, and then I'll be on to enjoying the car for the short summer here in upstate NY. May or may not cam it this winter...

The guy is still debating whether he wants to sell his wheels/tires, but I told him I need to know soon because the tires that are on it now are beyond bald. Want to know if I should order tires before I need to get the car inspected.

Here are some pics from the ride home...

img20120331132643.jpg

resampled95201203319515.jpg

resampled95201203319515.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.