Plasma TV experts...what do you think of this TV?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Text

I'm thinking of picking this up at my local Circuit City. They have a pretty good deal on them right now (pretty close to the price on this site). Got any other recommendations?

What are the concerns with plasma TVs? What should I look out for?

Opinions wanted!!!

AMDMaddness

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2003
I have spent the last two months looking at plasma tv's Im buying one next week and decided on the Samsung HP-S5053. The picture quality is above any panasonic out there. I'd recommend the Samsung HP-S5053 so far after looking at them all in person.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Panasonic makes an excellent plasma.

Honestly, my only concern is the lack of 1080p. I am in the market for a new TV and was looking at that exact model. I have decided to wait it out or go with the 47" 1080p Vizio that Costco has about the same price.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: binister

Honestly, my only concern is the lack of 1080p. I am in the market for a new TV and was looking at that exact model. I have decided to wait it out or go with the 47" 1080p Vizio that Costco has about the same price.

I didn't see any plasma tvs on their website that weren't 720p.

Fiat1

Dec 27, 2003
Panasonic is the best bang for the buck.
II have this set and it rocks..
Review
If you get it remember to update the firmware to the latest ver.

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Fiat1
Review

Fiat, can you advise where this unit is made in, since you have it, thanks.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

They don't have any in the 50" range yet. Those come out this summer...

Link

They do in fact have a 65" and a 103" 1080p model that is available now but they are very expensive.

Fiat1

Dec 27, 2003
Originally posted by: abc
Originally posted by: Fiat1
Review

Fiat, can you advise where this unit is made in, since you have it, thanks.

Yes I will check when I get home.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Text

I'm thinking of picking this up at my local Circuit City. They have a pretty good deal on them right now (pretty close to the price on this site). Got any other recommendations?

Opinions wanted!!!

I am thinking of buying the same TV from Best Buy because they have it at the same price but their PSP is 4 years (instead of 3 at CC) and about $200 cheaper (yes, I buy PSP on big-ticket items :eek: ). Also, for some reason, my cart on CC shows a $54 shipping charge even though the item page shows free shipping :confused: ). Last night BB had a free massage chair with the TV at the same price - I'm kicking myself for not getting it :p

According to avsforum it is the best bang for the buck (unless you don't care about the connectors and would rather go with the professional version). I checked it out myself and it was comparable to the more expensive Pioneer 5070HD as long as you don't leave the panny on Vivid mode (I spoke with a Panasonic Rep at BB who insisted that it be changed back to Vivid mode even though the picture looked like crap).

Whatever you do, don't buy it at tvauthority.com - if you've seen their resellerratings and the recent comments on avsforum, you would know. I was one click away from completing checkout when I decided to research that site a little more - they are an avsforum sponsor and you'd think that should count for something, but apparently doesn't. avsforum mods also seem to restrict negative comments about their sponsors (which makes them lose their own credibility a little with me :| )

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
Originally posted by: AMDMaddness
I have spent the last two months looking at plasma tv's Im buying one next week and decided on the Samsung HP-S5053. The picture quality is above any panasonic out there. I'd recommend the Samsung HP-S5053 so far after looking at them all in person.

really? where are you buying it from? do you know where this unit is manufacturered btw?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Link

Would there really be a huge difference between the image quality? I'm sure the new sets will be expensive...

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Text

Opinions wanted!!!

I have the 42" version and it's an excellent TV. The PQ is great on both SD and HD content.

This white paper (PDF) has some good information on plasmas and the proper way to care for them after you purchase one.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005

Link

Would there really be a huge difference between the image quality? I'm sure the new sets will be expensive...

Yes, there will likely be a large price difference. I am guessing the 50" 1080p set will be about $2800-3200. That is the reason these sets are so cheap, people are trying to clear out their inventory of last year's sets.

In terms of PQ, if you are watching 1080p content you will definitely see a difference from 720p content. The difference between 1080i and 1080p is debatable. In any case I plan on using my XBox360/HD-DVD with it so 1080p is important to me.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: athithi
Text

Opinions wanted!!!

I am thinking of buying the same TV from Best Buy because they have it at the same price but their PSP is 4 years (instead of 3 at CC) and about $200 cheaper (yes, I buy PSP on big-ticket items :eek: ). Also, for some reason, my cart on CC shows a $54 shipping charge even though the item page shows free shipping :confused: ). Last night BB had a free massage chair with the TV at the same price - I'm kicking myself for not getting it :p

According to avsforum it is the best bang for the buck (unless you don't care about the connectors and would rather go with the professional version). I checked it out myself and it was comparable to the more expensive Pioneer 5070HD as long as you don't leave the panny on Vivid mode (I spoke with a Panasonic Rep at BB who insisted that it be changed back to Vivid mode even though the picture looked like crap).

Whatever you do, don't buy it at tvauthority.com - if you've seen their resellerratings and the recent comments on avsforum, you would know. I was one click away from completing checkout when I decided to research that site a little more - they are an avsforum sponsor and you'd think that should count for something, but apparently doesn't. avsforum mods also seem to restrict negative comments about their sponsors (which makes them lose their own credibility a little with me :| )

No, I wasn't going to buy it there. I was just trying to find out what the dimensions were and they had them listed on their site. That's why I linked to it...it was convenient is all.

AMDMaddness

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2003
Originally posted by: abc
Originally posted by: AMDMaddness

really? where are you buying it from? do you know where this unit is manufacturered btw?

Im down to two online stores which ever is cheeper the day I buy it they are the winner. I have been to bestbuy/CC/HHgregg/sears and looked at every TV even projection other than the SONY LCD HD's the samsung was much more crisp and had a cleaner picture. I was tempted to get the 50" hitatchi J&R has for $1800 but it just wasnt as clear as the samsung. I had them try it on blueray and dvd plus there instore broadcast. The samsung hands down takes the cake for the money. Newegg sells the samsung BTW the online prices are in flux for some reason as much as $200 in a day. Im waiting it out for a week or so. if you grab the 5073 it has the cable card slot and SD slot etc.

Pete

Fiat1

Dec 27, 2003
I have mine hooked up to my computer via 9800 pro AIW card and Component video and it looks great....

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
My dad has one. Looks very good. Great quality. Granted it is only 720p but the 1080p plasmas are about 2.5x so they are not cheap!

Koing

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Sorry, but I have to say it: any plasma TV is an over-priced piece of crap. What do you get for your $1,500 price premium over and above a DLP TV? A little more brightness? Yeah, sure, that's worth it. :roll:

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Ilmater
Sorry, but I have to say it: any plasma TV is an over-priced piece of crap. What do you get for your $1,500 price premium over and above a DLP TV? A little more brightness? Yeah, sure, that's worth it. :roll:

1. Your price premium is vastly overstated.
2. Plasmas have contrast ratios and viewing angles second only to CRT-based displays.
3. Plasmas have the flexibility of being mounted on the wall.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChad

2. Plasmas have contrast ratios and viewing angles second only to CRT-based displays.

Let's not forget better color.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

Now we know what Ilmater owns. ;)

Caesar

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07

Let's not forget better color.

and blacks and viewing angle

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

That and a tv not the size of a small car in my house.