Plantronics Discovery 925 review

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Sometime late last year I lost my beloved Nokia BH-800 Bluetooth Headset, I wanted to replace it but noticed they're still going for around $100 bucks. Mwave right now has the Plantronics 925 for $68 which is a very good price. Here is my mini review of it...

It's different looking, I don't know if I love it, but I do like it, and it definitely doesn't look like any other headset out there. It's light and it fits wonderfully in my ear - and it has no loop! It has rubber covers that expand a bit in your hear, very comfortable and even thought sometimes when I put it in I think it's going to fall out, it doesn't. Comes with 3 sizes which is nice. I can wear it for hours and will forget I have it in and when I take it out my ear doesn't feel sore at all. It's stylish, something most headsets aren't, it's growing on me more. I love how comfortable it is and no ear loop rocks. It only took me a few tries and I was able to pop it in my ear in a few seconds.

Volume is good, it's an in your ear one so it sounds louder than most of the others I've tried, this is about the 8th BT headset I've used. My BH-800 might have been a tab bit louder but this is loud enough I can hear on the freeway going 75 with my sunroof.

Clarity is great, I've asked everyone I call how I sound, no complaints even when I'm on the freeway, a few have noticed a bit of wind noise but not enough to bother them or be unable to hear me.

It comes with a carrying case that doubles as a charger, if you charge the case, take it with you when you go out and pop your headset in it and BOOM it'll charge while in it. It fits nicely in my pocket. The 925 reversion has a quick release button to pop the headset out of the case, the original wasn't really hard, but this makes it that much easier.

Voice Dialing works good with my Blackberry Pearl 8100, for some reason it doesn't seem to understand the word "yes" well, but it has no problem dialing a person with the most confusing name you could imagine. Interesting technology here lol. battery life is decent, 5 hours, 7 days standby. Whenever I leave I take the charging case with me so I'm good for around 10 hours if I need it.

Retail is $129, online it's around $80 typically, Mwave has it for 68 right now - which is a STEAL! I ordered it and got it the next day (in So Cal) I love Mwaves processing and shipping speed they're as fast, or faster than Newegg typically :)

This is the best headset I've used, far and away blows any Motorola unit out of the water, I don't like the look or fit of the Jawbone too much. This doesn't have the noise cancellation of a Jawbone, but it seems to be pretty good. And it's not butt ugly like I find the Jawbones.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
Thats the model thats got the clear plastic on the mic boom, isnt it? Ive heard good stuff about that model.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
uli2000 no clear plastic not sure which model you're referring to. Had it over a month now and still love it. It's so comfortable I was talking while in bed and ended up falling asleep with it in my ear. Seems to stay in the ear wonderfully even without a loop.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
I like my jawbone 2 much better, fits better for me as well. The 925 doesn't have noise cancellation like the jawbone, it just beeps at you to alert you when there is wind noise. I would never be able to get used to hearing myself talk thru it either

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
the 925 has noise cancellation, it's not as good as the Jawbone, but I can drive on the freeway with my window down and have no problem having a conversation. You sure the 925 beeps when there's wind noise? I've read nothing of this, and mine has never beeped, even when driving on the freeway going 65mph with my window all the way down. The manual also says nothing about this feature, odd.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: QueBert
the 925 has noise cancellation, it's not as good as the Jawbone, but I can drive on the freeway with my window down and have no problem having a conversation. You sure the 925 beeps when there's wind noise? I've read nothing of this, and mine has never beeped, even when driving on the freeway going 65mph with my window all the way down. The manual also says nothing about this feature, odd.

It might of been a coincidence. I work at AT&T so I got one to test as well as my manager and we both experienced this. Using my jawbone now, much more enjoyable to use.