Planning on using a holesaw. What kind of power drill should I use?

Punjab

Jun 21, 2001
Hello all! I'm planning on doing my first case mod and was thinking of using a holesaw to cut my holes for me. So here's a question for those who have used Holesaws: What kind of specs should a power drill have in order to cut through cases effectively. I'm hoping to spend $50-$75 on a new drill. Any suggestions?

Thanks

GunNut

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
i recommend something cordless with variabe speed, 12 volts or greater i have a black and decker firestorm , and i like it but sometimes the battery dies when i need it, Skil has a dual power source (battery and a/c).

Buffaloman57

May 27, 2000
Well, I use a hole saw also to cut my holes in the case 3" and 4". Make sure you use a Bi-metal hole saw as the case and frames are hard metal. As for a drill is must be a 1/2 drive drill of any kind because hole saw arbor size. Sear drills will work and if you can find it on sale there you can save alot of money. The drill doesn't have to be super duty.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
At that price, you'll want a variable speed 3/8" chuck cord-type drill. Make sure the hole saw mandrel will fit in the drill, otherwise rent a 1/2" chuck drill. The less expensive cordless drills don't develop enough torque to handle hole saws, particularly at low rpm's.

Use a backer board, clamp it down tight, use lots of oil. Real easy to hurt yourself or end up with fubar'd parts.

NEWKILLA

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
is jhhnn the only one using oil? get good cutting oil
get the 1/2 inch drill and hold on tight, clamp your work tight
and most of all have some fun,
killa

Punjab

Jun 21, 2001
Thanks for the tips! I'm now thinking of getting a Skil 1/2" 4 amp 800rpm corded drill. That should work right?

GunNut

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
no mat what you buy, make sure it is one you can use for other projects. I bought a cheap one speed 3/8 drill several years ago. It is grat for drilling, but if i want to use it for screws forget about it, it is too fast for screws, i hate it now.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
if you are going to cut metal, as long as the drill works it's fine. what you need is torque. anyway, metal cutting with a holesaw is a SLOW and tedious job. run it at a low RPM, and press down firm, but not too hard. $50 to $75 is a good price to start at. as long as you are getting a corded drill, double that if you want cordless.

a good holesaw for a 120mm fan (4.6 inches or so) would cost $20. i bought a 2.25" holesaw and cut a clover for my 120mm fans. months later when i got my hands on a jigsaw, i finished the cutting =P

don't forget to get cutting oil. libricate that saw and cutting material =)

--

4 amps is good =)

Punjab

Jun 21, 2001
Just want to update (aka brag) everyone interested in this thread about my new power drill acquisition. I just got me a Skill 5.0 amp 800rpm corded for $50! Not bad as I was shooting for 4.0amps for that price. :) Now all I need is some more cash for holesaws, arbors, oil, and clamps. :D Can't wait to get to work!