Planning on going on a cruise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Which cruise line do you like?
Some of the carribean lines only do tipping at the end of the cruise, usually when you are about to leave the boat, you set your gratiuty amount...

Just curious,
Thanks!

I like Holland America - relatively tiny boat, mostly oldies, nice, quiet and best food. Celebrity also good.

That gratuity is for the whole crews, if you tip the dinning room and room fixer you get things done a lot quicker. Remember it will always be the same 2 room fixers and same waiters service your room and table.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Which Baltic itinerary did you do? I haven't run into too many other people who have done one

Stockholm, finland, St Pete, Estonia, Latvia, Stockholm. Don't make the same mistake, go for the route from Stockholm to Copenhagen. Copenhagen worth your visit.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Baller! That's pretty darn sweet! I just looked up the prices and it's not as expensive as I thought. It's expensive but not "holy hell that's expensive." Definitely an option going forward as a splurge.

Our kids are still relatively young, and we've managed to book both of the last 2 cruises during their promotion/sale where kids sail free. So the cabin we're staying in, while expensive, is only about $8,300 for the week. That's a small price to pay for my sanity. Booking at the right time of year (during the right promo) can make a big difference. I think if we booked 2 weeks later, the cruise would have been $12k.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Stockholm, finland, St Pete, Estonia, Latvia, Stockholm. Don't make the same mistake, go for the route from Stockholm to Copenhagen. Copenhagen worth your visit.

Heh - that's actually what we did. We couldn't make the timing work for a cruise that went to Copenhagen and spent two days in St Petersburg

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I like Holland America - relatively tiny boat, mostly oldies, nice, quiet and best food. Celebrity also good.

That gratuity is for the whole crews, if you tip the dinning room and room fixer you get things done a lot quicker. Remember it will always be the same 2 room fixers and same waiters service your room and table.
Ahh, ok, I've been only once on Holland America with my grandparents in 1998. It was to visit Alaska and it was fantastic. I was the only 18 year old on the whole boat, hahaha.

Nov 8, 2012
Our kids are still relatively young, and we've managed to book both of the last 2 cruises during their promotion/sale where kids sail free. So the cabin we're staying in, while expensive, is only about $8,300 for the week. That's a small price to pay for my sanity. Booking at the right time of year (during the right promo) can make a big difference. I think if we booked 2 weeks later, the cruise would have been $12k.

WAit WUT ?!

I thought all cruise lines ticket the same way in that everyone is deemed to be a "soul" and they ticket by the soul... That means, whether a 1 year old comes on and drinks only breast milk or not - each pays the same as the parent as if they scarf down 20 steaks at every meal.

Tell me what fucking cruise line that is so I can book them instead of royal Caribbean.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
WAit WUT ?!

I thought all cruise lines ticket the same way in that everyone is deemed to be a "soul" and they ticket by the soul... That means, whether a 1 year old comes on and drinks only breast milk or not - each pays the same as the parent as if they scarf down 20 steaks at every meal.

Tell me what fucking cruise line that is so I can book them instead of royal Caribbean.

I had a link to Norwegian showing "kids eat free" promo
But, Jeebus actually saw that deal with Royal Carribean (a better cruise line!)

EDIT: I was wrong :)

Last edited:

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
WAit WUT ?!

It was and is Royal Caribbean. Booked same promo last year on Harmony of the Seas as this year on Symphony of the Seas. I think it was 30% off second guest and kids sail free. They probably do it 2-3 times/ year.

P.S. Norwegian kinda sucks. Not as clean/organized and the food was awful.