Question Planning an upgrade...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So...I've been dismantling my ancient 1156 rig tonight. Most of it will probably get taken to the e-waste disposal. Sad because the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro motherboard, i5-760 CPU, and Corsair DDR3-1600 (4x2GB) Are all in excellent condition. Only overclocked to play with it when it was new...always reverted back to stock.
Anyway...I want to keep my Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler. It's still more than good enough for quite a few CPU's, just not the i5-13600K that I bought. When I went to dismount it from the CPU...it was stuck...the TIM had hardened and was like cement. (Cleaned right off with 91% IPA) Oddly enough, temps NEVER got over about 60C...ever, so inspite of drying out, the TIM and cooler did their job...for more than 10 years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

In2Photos

Mar 21, 2007
So...I've been dismantling my ancient 1156 rig tonight. Most of it will probably get taken to the e-waste disposal. Sad because the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro motherboard, i5-760 CPU, and Corsair DDR3-1600 (4x2GB) Are all in excellent condition. Only overclocked to play with it when it was new...always reverted back to stock.
Anyway...I want to keep my Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler. It's still more than good enough for quite a few CPU's, just not the i5-13600K that I bought. When I went to dismount it from the CPU...it was stuck...the TIM had hardened and was like cement. (Cleaned right off with 91% IPA) Oddly enough, temps NEVER got over about 60C...ever, so inspite of drying out, the TIM and cooler did their job...for more than 10 years.
Same here with my i7-920 and Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler. I redid the paste a few years ago when I added more RAM, bought a GTX 1060 6GB and decided to overclock the CPU. First application of TIM lasted at least 10 years. I'm thinking about keeping most of my rig and maybe putting the parts out on display in my office for a little nostalgia.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Paste is a right-of-passage. You've never really built a computer until you have used paste.
Some of us still go the extra mile and lap the contact surface of our heat sinks! In the early days, I even lapped the processor lid to eek out that last little bit of performance. At least I don't do that anymore.

ASK THE COMMUNITY