Planning a new build, looking for feedback

FalconHorse

Jul 22, 2011
My Xmas gift to myself is probably going to be a new PC (I try to just get cash from family/friends too ^_^). Currently, I'm running:

• Athlon II x3 Rana 450 unlocked @ "Phenom II x4 B50" @ stock 3.2 GHz (can't get a stable overclock out of it on 4 cores)
  • ASRock 870 extreme3
  • HIS 5770 (mild overclock @ 900/1300, about all it can handle)
  • 8GB (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600
These are the things I'm thinking about upgrading. I also have, but probably won't upgrade:

• Corsair C300 64GB (OS and some apps)
  • Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
  • M2762D LG TV/monitor
  • Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus
I use my PC for entertainment. Watching movies, playing games, surfing the web, mild photo editing, etc. Nothing that interesting. I do like playing the latest games, from time to time, though. I'm looking to spend <~$600, the cheaper the better. And want to overclock the CPU some (for fun as much as anything else).

I guess this is the time to make the jump to Sandy Bridge? I've been an AMD guy for quite a while, since it always seemed to be the better bang for buck brand (not right now though?). It's either SB or an x6 Phenom II, since BD is suck, right? Since I think I would need a new mobo for overclocking an x6, might as well go SB. I live in San Diego, and there in a Micro Center about an 1.5 hrs away in Irvine. Not sure if the drive would be worth it, are they still doing the SB+mobo promos? I don't know much about Intel chipsets, some help here would be appreciated. BTW, if the AMD route (x6 @~4Ghz) can be had for >$100 less than a 2500k setup, that could work.

For the GPU, I will wait to see what the 7xxx series brings (and Kepler if it comes in Q1 2012). I might splurge for a 7950 b/c I figure I should have the bleeding edge in gfx once in my life :biggrin:. If not, the current GPUs should drop in price when the next gen comes out, I think.

The RAM is probably fine, but it's pretty finicky, have to overvolt it to get 1600 stable (still not 100% its stable). Bought it b/c it was cheap, but I've had some issues with G.Skill before. Meh. If I have $ left after the CPU/mobo/GPU, I want to get low profile 16GB @ 1866. Or would that just be a waste of money?

Would like to have a 120Hz monitor/TV and bigger SSD (for all my MP games) but those will have to wait. PSU I think will be fine for now.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a new case for all this. I've been using a Lian-Li PC60 for 10 years (lol). It's super solid, but I just want a new case with modern features for this build. A normal-looking mid tower with good airflow that's fairly quiet. Some options:

Antec Three Hundred
NZXT Source 210 Elite
LIAN LI PC-7B plus II
Fractal Design Core 3000
Fractal Design Arc Midi (my favorite, but a bit pricey)

Suggestions/feedback on all aspects is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

P.S. old components will go to a build for my brother, so no resale $.

Edit: I plan to use a Hyper 212+ for cooling.

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
From what I can see you need a mobo, heatsink and a 2500k. That isn't going to come to $600. Pair them up with a 7000 series GPU once they drop and you are set for a couple of years without touching anything

Try your existing RAM on the new board and if it still gives you problems buy 8gb of 1.5v 1600mhz RAM, be aware that spending mega money for uber fast/tight timings is going to gain you relativly small performance upgrades on a SB rig.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Could you please post the five specific case models by name and number rather than simply posting links which take us away from this thread?

FalconHorse

Jul 22, 2011
Blain, I edited the cases in.

Thanks for the feedback Puppies04. You don't think there is much benefit in going to higher clocked RAM for SB? Would any Z68 mobo work for the 2500k? I like my current ASRock board. Thinking about sticking with that brand.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Unless you want the onboard graphics or/and the SSD caching of Z68 you could also save money with a P67 motherboard. You loose quicksync functionality as well but if you don't video re encode all that often it might not be something you miss all that much. But the $30 saved might allow a better component else where.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I wouldn't go out and buy new RAM, especially not if you're upgrading to Sandy Bridge. SB doesn't really care at all about RAM speeds, so even if you have to knock it back to DDR3 1333 to get it stable at 1.5V 9-9-9-15, then you are only talking about a 1&#37; performance difference.

Of the cases you listed, the Arc Midi ($85) or PC-7B ($90) are the best. The Arc Midi is a more up-to-date design than the PC-7B, so I would probably go with that.

Finally, for the mobo/CPU/cooler, I recommend:

i5 2500K $225
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 $115 AR
Scythe Mugen 3 $50

That'll get you a decent overclock and low noise to go along with it.

FalconHorse

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks all!

What do you all think of BrightCandle's suggestion to go with a P67 board? I don't care about the onboard gfx or SSD caching (based on what I read here).

mfenn, is the Mugen 3 worth twice the cost of the 212+?

Blain, could you tell me why you prefer the Lian-Li to, say, the Arc Midi that mfenn describes as more up-to-date?

Cheers!

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Blain, could you tell me why you prefer the Lian-Li to, say, the Arc Midi that mfenn describes as more up-to-date?
Of the cases you listed, the Arc Midi ($85) or PC-7B ($90) are the best.
The Arc Midi is a more up-to-date design than the PC-7B, so I would probably go with that.
:colbert: Michael is a sucker for those little video reviews.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Thanks all!

What do you all think of BrightCandle's suggestion to go with a P67 board? I don't care about the onboard gfx or SSD caching (based on what I read here).!

It is fine if you want, I wouldn't squawk either way. Z68 boards are more likely to get BIOS updates and $100 is a good price for a solid board IMHO.

mfenn, is the Mugen 3 worth twice the cost of the 212+?

I recommended it because you mentioned overclocking and quiet. The Hyper 212+ will get you one or the other, not both. Whether that is worth it or not is your call though.

FalconHorse

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for all the help guys. Right now my plan is to drive the 90 miles to Micro Center to get the 2500k and a solid p67/z68 mobo if they still have the $60 off promotion going (still trying to decide on which board). Everything else I'll get online, probably. If the promo is dead later this month, I'll save the gas.

Since the 79xx cards are looking to be more expensive than I had hoped, I'll probably get a 78xx when they come out. I'll just see what happens with the pricing of all the various high end cards in a month or so.

If I save enough by going to MC, I'm thinking about jumping past the 212+ or Mugen and getting a Noctua NH-C14 instead. I figure it would be the last HSF I'll ever need to buy. Anyone have experience with/thoughts on this unusual HSF?

I think I will go with the Arc Midi as I also like those little video reviews.

BTW, any benefit to 16GB RAM over 8GB with a windows 7/8 PC on a 2500k?

Cheers!

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Seems fine except that I would not get a top-down cooler like the C14. A 140mm fan has quite a bit of overhang around the CPU socket, which can lead to clearance issues. Stick to a tower cooler.

Also, 16GB of RAM is pretty much useless unless you have a very specific use case in mind. Generally speaking, if you cannot name the memory usage of such a task off the top of your head, you don't need 16GB.

Last edited:

FalconHorse

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks mfenn!

I'm going to start ordering this thing piecemeal. I'm going with the Noctua NH-U12P SE2, and ordering the Arc Midi today, since it's the last day of the promo code (-$15). Thoughts on that HSF? At ~$13 more than a Mugen 3, I feel like it's a good buy. Plus I want to be able to tell myself that I own a Noctua when I look in the mirror.

Looks like MC still has the 2500k/mobo deal going, though it's only $50 off the mobo now. I'll check the reviews of the various boards to see if the NH-U12 has any issues with fitting.

Another question for you knowledgeable fellows: any reason to go for lower voltage RAM (1.35v)?

Thanks again!

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Yeah, the U12P is fine. You won't have an issue with RAM clearance as long as you don't get a kit with tall heatspreaders.

As for the RAM, no not really. You will save maybe 3-5W total, which is not significant. 1.35V RAM was originally made for servers with 32-64 DIMMs, where the power savings really do add up.