Planned Parenthood T-Shirt: I Had An Abortion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: tallest1
Originally posted by: busmaster11
For once I agree with you, Rip. However... most conservatives are hypocrites if they are pro-life and support capital punishment.

To save the breathe of some conservatives here, don't even bother going with that argument. ("wah wah wah! You're pro-life and for-deathpenalties!" "Wah wah wah! You're anti-life and anti-deathpentalties!") That approach as been done for eons now.

Anyway, I'm a liberal and a "I had an abortion" t-shirt is very very tasteless. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed those... :Q

I concur, that approach as described above is invalid, BUT using the "You're pro-life, but don't give a crap about the child once it's born" approach IS more valid.

And I agree, those t-shirts are in bad taste, but they have a right to wear them.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: InfectedMushroom
Originally posted by: Amused
My only complaint is that they don't make these for men. :(

When I heard about these shirts, I looked them up, and they only sell girly style T-shirts.

I wanted one so bad. :(

heh. me too.

so i could go to a church wearing it.

Hey, I think it would be as cool as my "Proud to be a Lesbian" T-shirt. :)

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
For once I agree with you, Rip. However... most conservatives are hypocrites if they are pro-life and support capital punishment.

It is either the right of man to determine when another human being can die... or it isn't.

It is most certainly NOT hypocritical to be pro-life and for capital punishment. In an abortion, an innocent life is being extinguished. With capital punishment, a person has done SERIOUS wrong and the only fitting punishment is death.

Abortion = Killing the innocent
Capital Punishment = Killing people who have done serious wrong.
Big difference...

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
heh. me too.

to prove what? your classlessness?

to see the priceless look on some hypocryt as$holes face

so....yes.

you'd cry "fire!" in a crowded theatre, too, wouldn't you?

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: Kibbo
First of all, I think that these shirts lack class, taste and sensitivity.

However, I see nothing wrong with a woman exercising her right (which is how she would view it, regardless of your opinion on the validity of that position), communicating that fact openly and refusing to feel shame for it. Take your slippery-slope, downfall of civilization arguments elsewhere.

Im sorry but any woman, that wasnt raped, who has had an abortion should feel ashamed by their irresponsibility and poor choices.

Just out of curiosity, Digital, why is it okay to have an abortion due to rape than any other reason? Last I checked children of rape victims are still human beings too.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

It is either the right of man to determine when another human being can die... or it isn't.

There is a difference, capital punishment requires the court of law and conviction amonst your peers.

So as long as 12 people say a person should die it is ok to kill them but if only one person says a person should die its wrong?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
He we go again... Back to Abortion. At least one thing is certain... no aborted fetus will become a homosexual.

I think it is a woman issue and should be decided by women. The woman seeking the abortion, that is.

The argument has to be defined... when is a fetus a person? I think when it has reached viability. When it can survive apart from the woman it is no longer 'part' of the woman. Until that time it is dependent on the woman and part of the woman...

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Wait, on second thought.....The more woman that kill their babies as a form of birth control = less kids growing up liberal..... I like it!

InfectedMushroom

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
heh. me too.

to prove what? your classlessness?

for them to see the priceless look on some hypocryt as$holes face

Fixed that for you

i never claimed i wasn't an as$hole. but not a hypocryt. i don't claim to offer salvation (only for my followers or big donors). i just fvcking hate organized religion.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
I said "To save the breathe of some conservatives here..." for a reason. Now we're gonna have a 200 post thread if the discussion continues to shift like this

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison

There is a difference, capital punishment requires the court of law and conviction amonst your peers.

What difference does it make whether its one man or woman, or a group of men or women, who decides to play God? This is coming from a strictly Christian perspective, mind you, so if you are not, then nevermind.

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
Can we try to keep it on the topic of the shirt, please?

This argument has been done to death, I don't think anyone will learn anything from it here today.

Edit: Here's an idea, if this sums up your position, just cut and paste:

I beleve that : A Feotus Is A Human Being, Therefore Abortion Is Murder, Therefore This Shirt Is Advocating Murder.

Or, AFIAHB TAIM TTSIAM.

For the other side, I beleive that A Woman Should Have Absolute Sovereignty Over Her Body, Therefore This Shirt Is Demonstrating Justifyable Pride In Exercising Her Rights.

Or, AWSHSOHB TTSIDJPIEHR.

I gotta say, the right has a better acronym.

Anyone with an opinion more nuanced or original than these, please post your ideas.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

This argument has been done to death, I don't think anyone will learn anything from it here today.

I beleve that : A Feotus Is A Human Being, Therefore Abortion Is Murder, Therefore This Shirt Is Advocating Murder.

Or, AFIAHB TAIM TTSIAM.

For the other side, I beleive that A Woman Should Have Absolute Sovereignty Over Her Body, Therefore This Shirt Is Demonstrating Justifyable Pride In Exercising Her Rights.

Anyone with an opinion more nuanced or original than these, please post your ideas.

People have a right to wear whatever shirt they way. However, you must accept the consequenses of your decision. So if I ever see someone wearing a shirt like that, I will ask if it is ok for me to kill them just because they are inconveniencing me just like they killed their child because the child was an inconvenience.

gUEv

Oct 11, 2000
im a guy, and i am going to buy and wear that shirt...thanks anandtech! :)

of course, it does help that i live in west hollywood

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: XZeroII

Or, AFIAHB TAIM TTSIAM.

People have a right to wear whatever shirt they way. However, you must accept the consequenses of your decision. So if I ever see someone wearing a shirt like that, I will ask if it is ok for me to kill them just because they are inconveniencing me just like they killed their child because the child was an inconvenience.

Because people only get abortions to avoid an inconvience... :disgust:

I agree the shirt is tasteless but I don't really think it's advocating abortion.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Why has there been NO discussion whatsoever as to WHY Planned Parenthood put out these shirts? WHY women would choose to wear them. What the message THE WOMEN intend to send. Why aren't those points being raised?

Instead, it seems in this thread that we have a religious conservative sausagefest.

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Why has there been NO discussion whatsoever as to WHY Planned Parenthood put out these shirts? WHY women would choose to wear them. What the message THE WOMEN intend to send. Why aren't those points being raised?

Instead, it seems in this thread that we have a religious conservative sausagefest.

OK how about this..........

Planned parenthood is putting out this shirt because they, like the left wing wacko's want to see this country tail spin in immorality!

Women choose to wear them because they are so washed by the left that they think being a careless slut is cool, thank you liberals, Madonna, and MTV

Women are sending a clear message, I AM A MURDERING HOOCHIE AND IT IS SO COOL. Come and join my immoral lifestyle.

How was that?

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
The shirt is not a blanket "being proud" of abortion. On the contrary, it can put a face on these "immoral", "evil" women going through with abortions. Hell yes, it must be traumatic.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: gUEv
im a guy, and i am going to buy and wear that shirt...thanks anandtech! :)

of course, it does help that i live in west hollywood

I was going to do the same, but they only sell the girly style T-shirts. They do not sell standard style Ts.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Hossenfeffer
The shirt is not a blanket "being proud" of abortion. On the contrary, it can put a face on these "immoral", "evil" women going through with abortions. Hell yes, it must be traumatic.

i agree. i mentioned in another thread that, although i dont think abortion is the best solution, i wish that the shame of having one would somehow be lessened in our society.
i doubt the vast majority of women are proud but i dont think that is the point of the t-shirt. your take, hoss, seems to be exactly what the purpose of the shirts are. giving this demonized, intangible action human identity.

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Im sorry but any woman, that wasnt raped, who has had an abortion should feel ashamed by their irresponsibility and poor choices.

I'm sorry but white guys such as yourself should not be making the decision.
Moreover, what about the responsibility of the male? What about his irresponsibility and poor choices. You should feel ashamed for having such a retarded opinion. ;)

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: arsbanned
Moreover, what about the responsibility of the male? What about his irresponsibility and poor choices. You should feel ashamed for having such a retarded opinion. ;)

Who is to say the father even knows? most of the girls I know who have had abortions never even told the "father" they were pregnant in the first place....also how are you sure this guy is white?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: arsbanned

What the fsck does race have to do with it?