Planned Parenthood T-Shirt: I Had An Abortion

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

By Bobby Eberle
Talon News
July 30, 2004

For a $15 credit card charge, any woman or teenaged girl can order a T-shirt online from Planned Parenthood emblazoned with the words, "I Had An Abortion."

Jim Sedlak, executive director of American Life League's STOPP International said, "Planned Parenthood's new t-shirt confirms that the abortion chain lacks any sense of integrity, tact, and compassion. This shirt's message celebrates an act of violence that is traumatic for women, and worst of all, kills an innocent child."

Pro-life groups believe that this is just the latest attempt by Planned Parenthood to push its pro-abortion agenda.

"This latest stunt goes right along with the philosophies which have produced such items as a 'Choice On Earth' holiday card and a Florida advertisement which said, "Give the gift that stops giving ... a gift certificate for a holiday vasectomy at Planned Parenthood,'" said Sedlak.

News of the sale of the shirts brought widespread outrage from religious and pro-life groups.

"The day women are proud of killing their children is the day we wonder where we are as a society," says Kim Gordon, director of Iowa Right to Life.

"The callousness and insensitivity of Planned Parenthood provides another example of just how out of touch they are with the reality of abortion and the impact it has on women," said Olivia Gans, director of American Victims of Abortion.

The shirt's outspoken message has even brought condemnation from some pro-abortion advocates including Planned Parenthood organizations in Idaho, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

"I think the issue to focus on here is the effort that Planned Parenthood goes to, to prevent unwanted pregnancy. I think this is just a poor decision and we are just not supportive of it," Executive Director of Planned Parenthood of Idaho, Rebecca Poedy said in an interview with KBCI-TV.

"Having an abortion is a heartbreaking experience. It is not something to boast about," said Olivia Gans, director of American Victims of Abortion in an interview with LifeNews.

But Gloria Feldt, president of Planned Parenthood, sees it differently, saying the shirts give women a way to "stand up for choice."

"It's a heart-wrenching decision, but women don't need to be ashamed of it," said Feldt.

Martha Nolan of Crossroads, a Pro-Life organization that has sponsored walks across America for the last 10 years, said, "Planned Parenthood, America's largest abortion provider, claims to net tens of millions of dollars annually through abortion."

"It's difficult to understand how Planned Parenthood can say that abortion is always a difficult choice, and then encourage women to wear their 'choice' on their shirt. How about a line of shirts for men that says, 'My ex-girlfriend got an abortion because I made her?'" Nolan continued.

The shirts appear online (web site) with the advertising slogan "They have finally arrived! Planned Parenthood is proud to offer yet another t-shirt in our new social fashion line: "I Had an Abortion" fitted T-shirts are now available. These soft and comfortable fitted tees assert a powerful message in support of women's rights."

Link

It's seems to be quite a popular item - Planned Parenthood is sold out of all inventory:

Link

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
First of all, I think that these shirts lack class, taste and sensitivity.

However, I see nothing wrong with a woman exercising her right (which is how she would view it, regardless of your opinion on the validity of that position), communicating that fact openly and refusing to feel shame for it. Take your slippery-slope, downfall of civilization arguments elsewhere.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Kibbo

However, I see nothing wrong with a woman exercising her right (which is how she would view it, regardless of your opinion on the validity of that position), communicating that fact openly and refusing to feel shame for it. Take your slippery-slope, downfall of civilization arguments elsewhere.

Im sorry but any woman, that wasnt raped, who has had an abortion should feel ashamed by their irresponsibility and poor choices.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
For once I agree with you, Rip. However... most conservatives are hypocrites if they are pro-life and support capital punishment.

It is either the right of man to determine when another human being can die... or it isn't.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Riprorin
"The day women are proud of killing their children is the day we wonder where we are as a society"

"It's seems to be quite a popular item - Planned Parenthood is sold out of all inventory"

That should tell you "where we are as a Society".

What's the matter, don't like being in the minority, don't like not having the power to force your beliefs on women and others? Awwwwwww.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Without turning this into an abortion debate (I'm not touching THAT with a 10 foot pole), I agree with Rip that this is kind of "odd", but I can understand why they are doing this. Pro-choice people see a constant attack on their rights, as they view them. Whether or not they are "right", if someone was attacking my position I would want to fight back.

That being said, this is pretty stupid, it just fans the flames and makes the pro-choice crowd look even more callous and uncaring than some people see them now. Being militant about your position is not a good way to convince people to agree with you.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: digitalsm

Im sorry but any woman, that wasnt raped, who has had an abortion should feel ashamed by their irresponsibility and poor choices.

As should the guy who knocked her up?

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
"The day women are proud of killing their children is the day we wonder where we are as a society"

"It's seems to be quite a popular item - Planned Parenthood is sold out of all inventory"

What - that George Soros bought them all to cover a "soft money" donation? Could've happened.

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004

That is a valid opinion, but it rests on an implied premise: that her irresponsability led to a negative consequence. If she feels that the being in her womb had less ethical "value" then a rat, which is a supportable position if it was an undifferentiated mass of cells, then the ethical consequence is almost negligable. I'm not saying that I agree with that view, I'm just saying that it is rational to hold it.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
I am pro-choice...but do not advocate abortions...but i feel this shirt seriously lacks taste...as it does advocate abortions.

I would however have just as much distaste for a person walking around in a bush/cheney04 t-shirt...just to put things in perspective ;)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
My only complaint is that they don't make these for men. :(

When I heard about these shirts, I looked them up, and they only sell girly style T-shirts.

I wanted one so bad. :(

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Stunt
I am pro-choice...but do not advocate abortions...but i feel this shirt seriously lacks taste...as it does advocate abortions.

I would however have just as much distaste for a person walking around in a bush/cheney04 t-shirt...just to put things in perspective ;)

There is a big difference between being opposed to abortion legislation and being in favor of abortion.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

That's what I love about living in Northern California...almost no Bush/Cheney anything. No shirts, no bumper stickers, no NADA. :D

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: daveshel

There is a big difference between being opposed to abortion legislation and being in favor of abortion.

Not their stance on abortion, just morals and legislation in general.
Morally they are on no better ground...:)

InfectedMushroom

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
My only complaint is that they don't make these for men. :(

When I heard about these shirts, I looked them up, and they only sell girly style T-shirts.

I wanted one so bad. :(

heh. me too.

so i could go to a church wearing it.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: busmaster11
For once I agree with you, Rip. However... most conservatives are hypocrites if they are pro-life and support capital punishment.

It is either the right of man to determine when another human being can die... or it isn't.

There is a difference, capital punishment requires the court of law and conviction amonst your peers.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison

There is a difference, capital punishment requires the court of law and conviction amonst your peers.

a point which will be ignored.

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

What's the matter, don't like being in the minority, don't like not having the power to force your beliefs on women and others? Awwwwwww.

I was a fetus and I am very happy my mother decided not to kill me. Thanks Mom!

Since a fetus is actually a living person, it is murder. Funny how we have leftist wacko people opposed to the death penalty but support abortion, and some are more concerned with the treatment of chickens then they are with the treatment of an unborn child!

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000

I agree. It's almost like they are gloating that they "got passed" the responsibilty of dealing with their poor behaivor and choices.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001

To save the breathe of some conservatives here, don't even bother going with that argument. ("wah wah wah! You're pro-life and for-deathpenalties!" "Wah wah wah! You're anti-life and anti-deathpentalties!") That approach as been done for eons now.

Anyway, I'm a liberal and a "I had an abortion" t-shirt is very very tasteless. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed those... :Q

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000

Hmmmm a totally innocent fetus, a cold blooded ruthless killer...... yep, I see no difference! :confused: