Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
CPU drain? Unless you are running something VERY old its a non-issue.

I been streaming this game, i had 10 viewers the other night. I forgot I had it on and was kind of being a dick and camping a sunnder spawn for a hour. lol

My game can drop to 3 fps in large tank columns. Looking at Steam, it doesn't even come to 1% in CPU usage so I guess it's not a big deal. Odd thing is PS2 never goes to 100% cpu usage but says I'm limited by CPU.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I would disagree that everything is running well.

25fps on a 5ghz i7 with a 7850 with some settings turned down and 1680x1050 is not "well"

Overclocking can cause instability. Just sayin....my 3570k runs it stock without a single issue. I also play at 1680x1050 on my TV with my gtx660 without any issues.

I used to overclock my old computer, lots of nagging issues with games. Now I don't overclock at all and everything is smooth as silk.

This includes SWTOR, PS2, Company of Heroes, Diablo 3, etc. Not a problem with any of them running stock with lesser gear. Are you on Windows 8?

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Overclocking can cause instability. Just sayin....my 3570k runs it stock without a single issue. I also play at 1680x1050 on my TV with my gtx660 without any issues.

I used to overclock my old computer, lots of nagging issues with games. Now I don't overclock at all and everything is smooth as silk.

This includes SWTOR, PS2, Company of Heroes, Diablo 3, etc. Not a problem with any of them running stock with lesser gear. Are you on Windows 8?

No issues in any other title. It is not the CPU. Windows 7.

"without any issues" -- perhaps you aren't as sensitive to low fps?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
My game can drop to 3 fps in large tank columns. Looking at Steam, it doesn't even come to 1% in CPU usage so I guess it's not a big deal. Odd thing is PS2 never goes to 100% cpu usage but says I'm limited by CPU.

Try doing a cache verification in steam and then a file verification from the launcher if steam doesn't find anything.

I had major issues like that to the point where it would almost lock up (like 1 frame per minute, but I could alt-tab out) when in huge tank columns and stuff, and I got to the point where I was getting random crashes after a few weeks.

A steam cache check caused PS2 to pretty much redownload, and I haven't had a single problem since, even in huge tank convoys.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
No issues in any other title. It is not the CPU. Windows 7.

"without any issues" -- perhaps you aren't as sensitive to low fps?

lol The game is near flawless on my machine, but I'm on windows 8 so maybe that has something to do with it. I doubt sensitivity has anything to do with, I mean I am sure that you're an uber game god or whatever but I rarely see an teleporting and my bullets hit like they should. Maybe you should ask around the PS2 forums to see if anyone else is having problems with ATi cards, overclocking, or using outdated operating systems.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Patching coming in which they are going to take away non-lock on firing for the G2A and G2V rockets. Much QQ inbound, including me. Not sure I want the Hawk if it can't hit tanks or inf.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...g-adjustments-to-air-vs-ground-balance.60507/
Lock on Rocket Launchers (AV and AA):
- Range Increase
- Faster reload time (to compensate for lock on time)
- Now require lock on to fire

Flak:
- Minor damage increase
- Projectile speed increase

A30 Walker:
- Buffed Damage
- Faster Projectile

Rocket Pods:
- Decrease to the inner explosion radius: 3m to 1.5m. This is the center of the rocket explosion where the maximum damage occurs, so this will not affect direct hits. Effectively this makes the damage falloff at the center of the rocket pod explosion start closer to the center.

Flak Armor:
- Increase maximum explosion resistance for certed Flak armor from 25% to 50%. This makes Flak armor a more viable choice over Nanoweave for soldiers being attacked with explosives.

Decimator:
- New Heavy Assault common pool rocket launcher. High-damage anti-vehicle weapon, has a slow projectile speed and no lock on, but does massive damage to vehicles and other armored targets.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
WTF? That's incredibly stupid. Never mind the people who use it to shoot other INF, you don't always need to lock on to hit a tank that's sitting right in front of you.

Oct 25, 2006
WTF? That's incredibly stupid. Never mind the people who use it to shoot other INF, you don't always need to lock on to hit a tank that's sitting right in front of you.

Thats the balance.

You can be extremely skilled and so use a non lockonable launcher and do tons of damage and be able to quickly fire, or you use the handholding launcher and be limited in your ability to snap fire.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Thats the balance.

You can be extremely skilled and so use a non lockonable launcher and do tons of damage and be able to quickly fire, or you use the handholding launcher and be limited in your ability to snap fire.

Then they better buff the damage up to compensate. It had lower damage to offset its ability to lock.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Wow... rocket pods now go from useful to pretty much useless unless you have really damn good aim. I assume this change is really mostly in response to infantry whining.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Nope. Lock is a MASSIVE advantage. Its lock vs dmg/snap fire. Thats how most games do the balance.

Having to spend an inordinate amount or cert/SC isn't a balancing factor as well?

They'd better reduce the cost of these down to at least half of what they currently are. I can't see them being 1000CP/700SC cost items anymore with that restriction in place. Even 500CP seems excessive for a "specialty" item.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
any tutorials for this game ?

Planetside 2 Basic Training video clips gave me a running start.

From there, if you have experience in various multiplayer FPS games, especially class-based games with different games modes, specifically capture-the-flag style play, you'll have a good understanding of most of the basic conventions and mechanics of the gameplay.

Can't say that will take you all the way, I learned a fair bit just messing around or getting puzzled and googling some things. Other things just take a little time staring at a screen, taking in all the detail, and really trying to understand the menus and whatnot.

And when you're new, try and squad up, especially try and find platoons. The latter can be a bit difficult, seems to be a guessing game; you can only specifically join squads, and while some squads will have a name that states they are in a platoon, others don't and you just stumble into a platoon. I'll join squads then exit, rinse and repeat until I see I am in a platoon.

That'll give you a quick lesson in marching across territory from capture point to capture point, let you see some large-scale tactics (for better or worse, depending on leadership, waypoints set, etc), and probably see large vehicle convoys (with flyers in the group).

Read the tutorial prompts for the sections of the UI that have them. There's some good info about what different things on the map mean, what's going on in the cert page, and I think the map page might cover the best logic behind capture point strategy (you want them linked together, and certain types of territory in that link provide better boons across the entire territory - like types of vehicles that can spawn where, resource gain, etc).

I definitely don't have it mastered either. I played the first Planetside for all of a week, had a hell of a time getting acquainted, felt boring/slow, and gave up quick. That was a) before I really got into competitive FPS play, and b) the wrong approach. I didn't reach out to learn what the hell I was supposed to do.

It was also the same time frame when I just never really got into, and was overwhelmed by, games like Battlefield.

Now, I just can't give up Battlefield 3, and PS2 is right up my alley. :)

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Try doing a cache verification in steam and then a file verification from the launcher if steam doesn't find anything.

I had major issues like that to the point where it would almost lock up (like 1 frame per minute, but I could alt-tab out) when in huge tank columns and stuff, and I got to the point where I was getting random crashes after a few weeks.

A steam cache check caused PS2 to pretty much redownload, and I haven't had a single problem since, even in huge tank convoys.

tried it and it redownloaded the whole file. let's see if it helps.

Double XP is pretty sweet. Gained 120 certs yesterday. Of course I'm playing a bit more than usual due to double XP. Went to bed at 1AM and had my daughter wake up at 4:30 D:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Double XP, thank you. I now have A2A missiles on my reaver. Though I think they dropped the cert cost on them.

IMHO they're practically worthless. Flares are easy to get and you can no longer dumb fire the A2A missile to hit ground/air targets without waiting for lock.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
First hackers I saw in game last night. At least Sony is actively after them, he was banned pretty quick. A pleasant surprise considering its one of many reasons i left Guild Wars 2 because they never cracked down hard.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
IMHO they're practically worthless. Flares are easy to get and you can no longer dumb fire the A2A missile to hit ground/air targets without waiting for lock.

Uh... I wanted something for air superiority. I would never be firing them at ground targets/dumbfiring them anyway, otherwise I'd be loading rockets.

Besides, you run into so many idiots the pop their flares right as you start locking on them. Just pull behind and follow for that 5 seconds, then you have 3 missiles up their ass while their flares are on cooldown.

Now SAMs on the other hand... that change is indeed idiotic.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Uh... I wanted something for air superiority. I would never be firing them at ground targets/dumbfiring them anyway, otherwise I'd be loading rockets.

Besides, you run into so many idiots the pop their flares right as you start locking on them. Just pull behind and follow for that 5 seconds, then you have 3 missiles up their ass while their flares are on cooldown.

Now SAMs on the other hand... that change is indeed idiotic.

I don't do it a lot, very rarely actually but it was nice to be able to fire a rocket at ground targets when needed. I did however make a habit of sneaking up behind other ESFs and dumb firing the A2A for sneak attacks.

True there are a lot of idiots out there, but I'm just saying I would take the rocket pods over the A2A missiles even for a dog fight in the sky.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I don't do it a lot, very rarely actually but it was nice to be able to fire a rocket at ground targets when needed. I did however make a habit of sneaking up behind other ESFs and dumb firing the A2A for sneak attacks.

True there are a lot of idiots out there, but I'm just saying I would take the rocket pods over the A2A missiles even for a dog fight in the sky.

Biggest thing I'm noticing is A2A missiles need to be faster. A lot faster.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Biggest thing I'm noticing is A2A missiles need to be faster. A lot faster.

Yeah definitely, though at the same time I want dog fights to be won with guns, not fire and forget missiles. Maybe make them faster and stronger but require keeping lock until they actually hit?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Yeah definitely, though at the same time I want dog fights to be won with guns, not fire and forget missiles. Maybe make them faster and stronger but require keeping lock until they actually hit?

I'm not so sure. The only problem I have with missiles is the fact that they "hug" the flight path of the target ridiculously well. There's so many terrain obstacles on Indar, for example, that you should be able to shake a missile that's on you. Yet I can graze those canyon loops and pull off maneuvers that will take out pursuing pilots, but I can carry a tailing missile all the way back to my warp gate.

I have no problem with passive lock and tracking once launched. Faster time to target but less maneuverability might be a good compromise.

Also, missiles do have their use in dogfights. A missile basically forces the person being attacked to flee, meaning the attacker has trailing position to have a free run at the defender's rear end with guns.