Planet Coaster

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Didn't see a thread for this in the search, and I'm a bit surprised. It is developed by Frontier Developments, the guys that brought you Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and quite a few other games.

A few days before RCT World went open beta it launched it's early access alpha build.

Now, I'm against payed betas and early access games, but after trying it at a friends I have to say it looks amazing. It may be an alpha build, but it is actually really polished. Much more so than I've heard about RCT World (and the beta for that was pretty bad).

This is certainly something to keep on your radar if you like simulations and park builders, especially at $30 for the full game (but, certainly not $75 for the beta access).

www.planetcoaster.com

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
looks interesting and fun from what i have seen, but wondering if it would hold my attention.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Got the most basic package so added it to Steam and awaiting my ability to play.

Meanwhile Parkitect is the greatest fun in the genre I have had in years, maybe even the last decade and a half.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I just found out about this game and ordered it off Steam! Hope it is good if not there always the refund option! This may be a single player game that renews my interest!

Parkitect looks interesting as well. Thanks

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ended up pe-ordering the thrillseeker edition to play early (starts today some time). hoping it's as fun as it looks. if not, I can always get a refund.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
ended up pe-ordering the thrillseeker edition to play early (starts today some time). hoping it's as fun as it looks. if not, I can always get a refund.

Exactly!

Playing it right now! So far I like the GUI at the beginning but game play will be the true test!

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Game seems to be pretty good but worried about map sizes and this turning into another Simcity 5 :( I may get a refund if that is the case.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ok, i have no idea what i am supposed to do or how to do it. there's no tutorial. there's a section for tutorial videos but it says coming soon (i guess full release?).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
This game will have the same faint as Simcity 5. I refunded my purchase.
what do you mean?

Thinking about refunding mine too as it seems really complex and time consuming to learn everything and I just don't have the patience for that any more. its weird, i'm finding lately that I watch people play a game and it looks cool and fun, then when I get it, I don't like it.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The beta released isn't the full version, so some things may be missing. It is just a sandbox mode at the moment.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I was going to buy in but not until I see some much larger maps. I don't care if it turns my comp into a potato if 5 years from now I will be able to play with the biggest size.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
So I wrote a nice detailed review then fat fingered the back button erasing it. Now that is demotivating.

In short, I really like it. Customization is a bit insane in what you can do. Map size is not an issue for me and a patch today increased map size by 2.5 times. Now it really isn't a concern. Performance was fine on a medium sized park but it was pushing my system to run ~48fps. (4790k, 970GTX) Needs more stuff because I cannot get enough not because it is lacking. I am about 13 hrs into it so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Here is a link to some pics I took.

http://imgur.com/a/kh925

Reactions: tdawg

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
what do you mean?

Thinking about refunding mine too as it seems really complex and time consuming to learn everything and I just don't have the patience for that any more. its weird, i'm finding lately that I watch people play a game and it looks cool and fun, then when I get it, I don't like it.

It's called "aging" man... it happens to all of us

That's why I've loved Lego Dimensions since I've picked it up. I've played that for hours just because it's simple, childish fun. I want to play Watch Dogs 2 but I'm worried I won't like it because it's more complicated than what I generally play anymore.

sad =(

Reactions: paperfist

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
So I wrote a nice detailed review then fat fingered the back button erasing it. Now that is demotivating.

In short, I really like it. Customization is a bit insane in what you can do. Map size is not an issue for me and a patch today increased map size by 2.5 times. Now it really isn't a concern. Performance was fine on a medium sized park but it was pushing my system to run ~48fps. (4790k, 970GTX) Needs more stuff because I cannot get enough not because it is lacking. I am about 13 hrs into it so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Here is a link to some pics I took.

http://imgur.com/a/kh925

Yeah I changed my mind and didn't refund sense the maps are bigger now! This game will keep my interest for a while! Yeah for a single player game finally catching my attention!

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Planet Coaster is great. If you were a big RCT3 fan, then you should be satisfied. To whomever compared Planet Coaster to SimCity 5 in regards to map size, it really isn't a fair comparison. There is enough space on the maps to build a theme park 3-4 times larger than some of the largest that exist in the real world. I'm just glad they didn't hold anything back for DLC. There is a ton of included content as well as full user mod support. The ability to create anything is pretty overwhelming to someone like me who in reality isn't overly creative with scratch built stuff, so I like that I have access to tons of designs. For it to be closer to perfect, I would like a fireworks module (like RCT3), marine attractions (will probably be DLC), and more precise terrain modification tools. Unlike in RCT3, it is a PITA to stage coaster loading platforms at ground level in order to avoid using stairs.

I just hope people won't confuse this to Atari's Roller Coaster Tycoon World, which is the real RCT3 successor yet not near as good. With Cities Skylines and Planet Coaster, it's nice to see innovation happen from the ground up. It just goes to show you don't need an expensive EA or Atari to publish titles with good production value.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I refunded the other day

I bought it after it was officially released so not sure what they limited on your version.

It's a pretty awesome, time sink kind of game. If you like to build stuff, tinker and waste endless amounts of time without any real goals then it's perfect for you.

You can get started just plopping down already built rides and then setup a entrance and exit. Then you have to dress up the entrance a bit with scenery to increase the rides ratings.

You can also get crazy and build coasters of all types by hand. The controls are pretty straight forward but it takes time to build something they'll ride again and again.

The level of detail in this game is insane. There's people over on reddit that have spent 20 hours just putting together an entrance.

Here's a 20 hour entrance: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlanetCoas..._20_hours_on_my_entrance_save_me_d_still_not/

This person built Jurassic Park: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlanetCoas...k_peek_a_park_entrance_65000000_years_in_the/

Here's someone building an Elite Dangerous Sidewinder model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQCJOTqv8w

francisbaud

Oct 8, 2016
Not exactly my kind of game since I'm more a MMO fan but I've watched a video of this game and it looks awesome. Lot of customization to build a park, some great graphics and the frame rate seemed fluid even with all the objects and characters on the map.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
This looks really cool. Wish I had the kind of time to build some of the neat things I've been seeing online. I'll probably get it anyway.

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
I have it for Steam and like it. It is very much more different than RCT and takes more time as well as patience. It's a good time wasting game on rainy days :)