Plain black non-pimp-my-ride headunit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Throckmorton, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

2. jtvang125

jtvang125 Diamond Member

Stay away from pyle! They're literally a pyle of ****.

3. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

I ordered a that 2nd Pyle from Adorama but then cancelled because they're backordered.

Why is Pyle the only maker of non ugly head units?

4. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43930_Clarion-FZ502.html

[​IMG]

paint the knob black. it probably just pulls off with a good tug. lightly sand with 220 grit paper, spray with plastic primer, then high gloss enamel black with 3 or 4 coats of clear enamel and let it dry for about a month. you can use it during that time, but just remember it will be susceptible to scratches for a few weeks as the enamel emulsifies and dries. after awhile, it will become hard as glass and probably the most durable finish on the radio at that point...

and use an sd-usb adapter if you want to use cards too. you wouldnt like a sd slot radio when the sd slot falls apart and doesnt work anymore. generic usb ports last a lot longer then generic sd card slots. and generic parts are what in sub $200 headunits, period.

#29 wirednuts, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. rommelrommel

rommelrommel Platinum Member

Pioneer 800/880PRS is most of the stage 4 for a fraction of the price if you can find one. 80PRS is not bad looking. Some of the Eclipse headunits are nice, if you can find old stock again. Blaupunkt is probably the plainest looking thing current that doesn't cost a damn fortune.

6. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Can you still get 880PRS's? Damn, that's a blast from the past. I thought I remembered them going out of production and the prices shooting up to 400-500 bucks or so.

While I think it's a decent-looking unit, and it has the best feature set on the market, especially for the ~300 bucks they used to go for (or 500, even...16 band EQ, time alignment, active crossover control...)- the OP is obviously not looking for those features. And probably finds it ugly.

And I can tell you why no one makes decent, factory-ish looking headunits. No demand. They either want something that looks like a children's toy, or is cheap crap. Sucks, I know.

7. rommelrommel

The older PRS units pop up here and there but mostly in private hands, I think a lot of people knew that was the end of that era and saved a couple.

A lot of the double DIN full screen units are pretty decent looking and less flashy but yeah... no demand. Japan has some really classy stuff but it never sells well in NA. Sound Monitor is really nice looking but expensive, japanese tuner, and no features :(

8. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

Yes the old ones are expensive and have no USB ports

9. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

I hadn't really thought too much about the touchscreen thing...should've figured that out.

The single DIN headunit (without a motorized screen that will break in three months) market is dead because you're not cool unless you have an iTampon stuck in your dash.

10. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

11. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

You seem to have an orange fetish. I don't get liking that but objecting to gloss black or matte silver.

Is there orange in your car?

12. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

Yes all my gauges and displays are orange and that's the best color anyway. But how do you know that since I didn't post about wanting orange lighting? The Pioneer is has variable color.

13. rommelrommel

I'm gonna guess because the two pictures you embedded in the thread were both orangeish which really stands out and is uncommon.

14. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

It's only uncommon because aftermarket head units usually have nasty blue lighting. Orange is the best color for gauges because it's the same color as fire which our eyes have adapted to viewing at night without messing up dark vision. It also gives the interior a warm feel. Red isn't as good because it appears dimmer than it is to the human eye

15. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Too bad you don't have a double din slot.

[​IMG]

16. Albert Brady

Albert Brady Junior Member

What about this one:
    It's a little cheaper, with less of a brand name but it's got
    a USB on it, no CD and its flat black, and cheap.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/ZNU-Player-Rec...o+receiver+usb

ZNU AUDIO Radio/WMA/MP3/USB/SD AUX In Dash Car MP3 Player AM/FM Receiver Stereo System

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. Prior to your post, the most recent post in this thread was two years ago. Replying to a thread that has been dead for so long is considered to be bad forum etiquette as it only clutters up the front page and distracts from active threads.

I encourage you to continue contributing to the forum, but in the future please check the dates on the most recent replies to the thread. If they're more than a month or so old, it's best to leave the thread alone.

Zenmervolt - AnandTech Moderator

#41 Albert Brady, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  17. Albert Brady

Albert Brady Junior Member

If you still don't like what you see at the
    store and are so stubborn to resist anything
    new like me because you will have to upgrade
    everything, just go to the dealership to order
    the stock parts. Get a line in Jack or a USB
    and run everything off your iphone.

I have a honda and my local honda dealer has