places to go/things to see in/around Denver? UPDATE:

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
I'm going to Denver for business tomorrow and I'm thinking of staying an extra day and maybe doing some sight-seeing. I'm into photography, and I'm more interested in seeing things than doing things (like skiing, for example).

I'll probably be able to do some city stuff (I hear the breweries are good), though suggestions there would be good also.

I was thinking of visiting a park of some kind, like Red Rocks or the Rocky Mountain National Park. How accessible are they during the winter? Can people... hike through them? I'd be willing to go on a gentle hike if it's not too rough or cold or rainy or snowy. (I'm not very experienced, and I'd probably be going alone)

Is it snowing there right now (for those that live there). Is there a lot of snow just lying around? Could driving through parks or wherever be difficult? I don't have any experience driving with snow.

Thanks

UPDATE

I've finally finished with Denver pics (it's been busy the last month). I ended up going to the Denver Aquarium because it was open late on Friday the 18th. I didn't have time to go anywhere else because work spilled over into Friday. I spent Saturday at Red Rocks. It was really nice there, especially with the fresh powdered snow. It was a gorgeous day.

I'm sort of a work in progress (with a long way to go), but here are the pics I took:
Denver Aquarium
Red Rocks

Everything was taken on a Nikon D50 with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. A couple of them are a little too soft/slightly out of focus :(. Most of the aquarium pics were taken at ISO1600, so they're a tad noisy. I was a little panorama happy.

Thanks again to everybody.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
drive into the moutains, Red Rocks Ampitheater, Eisenhower Tunnell.

For dinner, Brooks Steakhouse or get a really cool experience at "The Fort"

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Red Rocks could be tough this time of year. If Denver gets a chinook, you could get lucky though.

For Rocky Mt Park, best to check with the visitor's center before driving all the way there. The park is very high up (duh) and if you are coming from near sea level you could experience altitude sickness, even while driving. Altitude sickness is not a trivial condition.
http://www.nps.gov/romo/

The Denver Zoo is pretty good. If you do go to Rocky Mt Park, be sure to hit Johnson's Corner , along I-25, north of Denver) for breakfast (any time of day).

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: ironwing
Red Rocks could be tough this time of year. If Denver gets a chinook, you could get lucky though.

For Rocky Mt Park, best to check with the visitor's center before driving all the way there. The park is very high up (duh) and if you are coming from near sea level you could experience altitude sickness, even while driving. Altitude sickness is not a trivial condition.
http://www.nps.gov/romo/

The Denver Zoo is pretty good. If you do go to Rocky Mt Park, be sure to hit Johnson's Corner , along I-25, north of Denver) for breakfast (any time of day).

Thanks. Are you referring to hiking through Red Rocks? Could I call ahead and see? What would I be asking about?

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
the REI headquarters store is amazing if you are into that kind of thing. the aquarium is also nice.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
PM OdiN...I think he lives around there. Maybe he can show you around. Just be sure to watch your cornhole! ;)

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: shinerburke
PM OdiN...I think he lives around there. Maybe he can show you around. Just be sure to watch your cornhole! ;)

He like to eat his corn on the cob the long way?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Snow on the ground (mostly hard now) - quite a bit in the mountains. RMNP is open year round. You can hike if you don't mind hiking in the snow. A friend of mine recently up at Estes Park said the roads were okay up to there - but going into the park (it's not far from Estes at all) could be tough. I would recommend a 4WD vehicle, or at least something with decent clearance and chains if you head up too far into the mountains. It just depends on the conditions up there - you might call the rangers office to see how the roads are. There are some decent hikes in the Boulder area from what I hear, but I haven't been out that way for hiking yet. Also Roxborough State Park is not far from Denver and there's some cool red rock formations similar to Garden of the Gods down in Colorado Springs.

http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/roxborough

As others have said the Aquarium is actually pretty good. You just missed a cool exhibit about the Titanic at the Denver Nature & Science Museum. Still a cool place to go if the Planetarium is open.

We are expecting snow today/tomorrow up in the high country, but not too much (never know though). It's 14° with winds gusting up to 25MPH right now.

Johnson's Corner is overrated - their cinnamon rolls are crap. If you have never eaten at a Texas Roadhouse, that would be a great place for dinner, but I don't think there is one in Denver. You'd have to go to Fort Collins or Greeley.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Red Rocks is the best use of a one day visit. You don't have to endure winter traffic and snowy highways. It is a short drive west of the city and worth visiting because it is unique.

When you enter the park drive all the way to the top of the amphitheater. Then you you can gaze down upon the beauty of the natural setting and the entire Denver area. There is an underground museum and restaurant that lets you escape the cold of winter.

There are hiking trails and plenty of rock formations to photograph. You'll want to come back in the summer.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Zedtom
Red Rocks is the best use of a one day visit. You don't have to endure winter traffic and snowy highways. It is a short drive west of the city and worth visiting because it is unique.

When you enter the park drive all the way to the top of the amphitheater. Then you you can gaze down upon the beauty of the natural setting and the entire Denver area. There is an underground museum and restaurant that lets you escape the cold of winter.

There are hiking trails and plenty of rock formations to photograph. You'll want to come back in the summer.

Red Rocks really is where I want to go. Would I have trouble getting there in any random car? Would there be any trails that aren't too difficult (with snow) if I had hiking boots?

I think RMNP would be too difficult, given the weather and that I'll be alone (and may be stuck with a mini-van to drive). I might have another half day also, so I should be able to visit the aquarium since it's open late. I might also be able to catch a show at the Planetarium.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: OdiN
You just missed a cool exhibit about the Titanic at the Denver Nature & Science Museum. Still a cool place to go if the Planetarium is open.
Still have the imax theater there?

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Snow on the ground (mostly hard now) - quite a bit in the mountains. RMNP is open year round. You can hike if you don't mind hiking in the snow. A friend of mine recently up at Estes Park said the roads were okay up to there - but going into the park (it's not far from Estes at all) could be tough. I would recommend a 4WD vehicle, or at least something with decent clearance and chains if you head up too far into the mountains. It just depends on the conditions up there - you might call the rangers office to see how the roads are. There are some decent hikes in the Boulder area from what I hear, but I haven't been out that way for hiking yet. Also Roxborough State Park is not far from Denver and there's some cool red rock formations similar to Garden of the Gods down in Colorado Springs.

As others have said the Aquarium is actually pretty good. You just missed a cool exhibit about the Titanic at the Denver Nature & Science Museum. Still a cool place to go if the Planetarium is open.

We are expecting snow today/tomorrow up in the high country, but not too much (never know though). It's 14° with winds gusting up to 25MPH right now.

Johnson's Corner is overrated - their cinnamon rolls are crap. If you have never eaten at a Texas Roadhouse, that would be a great place for dinner, but I don't think there is one in Denver. You'd have to go to Fort Collins or Greeley.

Would you recommend Roxborough over Red Rocks?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
You just missed a cool exhibit about the Titanic at the Denver Nature & Science Museum. Still a cool place to go if the Planetarium is open.
Still have the imax theater there?

There is the IMAX there as well as an IMAX movie theater south of there at...one of the malls - can't recall which.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: fanerman91

Would you recommend Roxborough over Red Rocks?

I have not been to Red Rocks yet so I couldn't say either way. I plan on seeing a concert there this year when the season for shows opens back up.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: fanerman91
Originally posted by: Zedtom

Red Rocks really is where I want to go. Would I have trouble getting there in any random car? Would there be any trails that aren't too difficult (with snow) if I had hiking boots?

I think RMNP would be too difficult, given the weather and that I'll be alone (and may be stuck with a mini-van to drive). I might have another half day also, so I should be able to visit the aquarium since it's open late. I might also be able to catch a show at the Planetarium.

Also - if you're into photography, one of the best views of the city is from the nature and science museum - they have an area that you can walk outside on a balcony of sorts - it's 2 or 3 stories up.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get to red rocks. Down here past the mountains, there is snow on the ground - but most of the roads are fine. Only less travelled roads will still have snow/ice packed on them - but even then it's just a take it slow thing.