Pin broke off VGA cable....help?

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Anyone know what I can do to fix the pin broken off of a VGA cable on a monitor? Unfortunately the cable is one of those that are attached directly into the monitor and cannot be changed out. Its a 19 inch monitor too. :|
The pin on it was bent and when I tried to straighten it, it fell off.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Is it a pin that is actually used for a signal? Pins 4 and 11 are normally not connected to anything and pins 5-8 are gound. So if one of those is missing, it's no biggy.
. If the pin was actually a signal pin, you will have to replace the connector or cable assembly. Replacing a VGA connector (15-pin high density) is not an easy task whether you are using a solder pin or crimp pin design (Radio Shack usually carries solder-pin units - while there, get a metallized plastic DB-9 hood). I know, having done several of each.
. Much easier to buy a cable assembly from the mfr or a third party parts supplier. Usually you just have to open the case and plug it onto an internal connector. However, if it is soldered internally, then the job would be just about as hard as replacing the connector.
. Probably worth your while to open the case and see what arrangement you have in there. Good luck.
.bh.
:sun:

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It was Pin 12 that broke off. The monitor worked but every once and a while it would kick itself into like a sleep mode for a second and pop back on....so I guess it was a ground.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
On some monitors Pin 12 is S Data, and Pin 15 is S-Clock - on others; pin 4 is ID2, pin 11 is ID0, pin 12 is ID1, and pin 15 is ID3 (which apparently is sometimes unused) so if you set your monitor to non-PlugNPray and set your own parameters, those pins should be ignored.
.bh.
:sun: