Piledriver not coming until 2013 now?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
I hope Piledriver improves upon Bulldozer as much as Phenom II improved upon the original Phenom. It was a good affordable CPU, in fact thanks to core unlocking it's the best processor in price vs performance I had ever bought :biggrin:

I miss the days of being able to build a half-decent AMD rig, for significantly less money than an Intel-based one. :(
But, for PD to be of any interest to me, they'd have to increase IPC to Phenom II-parity, reduce power consumption by about 30%, or a compromise between the two.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I only hope that AMD finally supports PCIe 3.x with PileDriver. Quite frankly, it is quite pathetic for AMD having to test all their PCIe 3 cards on intel motherboards.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I only hope that AMD finally supports PCIe 3.x with PileDriver. Quite frankly, it is quite pathetic for AMD having to test all their PCIe 3 cards on intel motherboards.

That would require a new chipset. FM2 platform doesnt support PCIe 3.0 either.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I miss the days of being able to build a half-decent AMD rig, for significantly less money than an Intel-based one. :(
But, for PD to be of any interest to me, they'd have to increase IPC to Phenom II-parity, reduce power consumption by about 30%, or a compromise between the two.
I wish, they could introduce a 95W top-part with PD. 125W TDP versus 77W TDP is.... not looking good at all.

The eight-core FX-8350 will still use socket AM3+ and will be manufactured using a 32 nm process, but it carries the hope that AMD will deliver on its promise to achieve a 10 to 15 percent performance increase over the previous Bulldozer design. Expect a TDP that remains at 125 watts, but clock speeds that are inching closer to 4 GHz, as the Piledriver design is more efficient than Bulldozer. The current FX-8150 runs at 3.6/4.2 GHz at 125 watts TDP.

Last edited:

sequoia464

Feb 12, 2003
I really hope Piledriver comes in 2012 and is not delayed.

I don't remember where I saw this now so I can't link the source, but the speculation is still for 4th quarter of 2012, possibly earlier, maybe September. If I can find the source again I will post a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.