PIII 700 cb0

MacrossPlus

Nov 24, 2000
Well i got my 700E.. it's the second stepping. I got it to run at 933 for about 15 minutes.. was playing Deus Ex on it with no problems but after a while it got funky with errors etc. Does this mean that my chip is able to run at 933@133 as long as i get some better cooling (got the gorb on it right now).. or does it mean that my chip can't run there. (I was thinking if i can boot it, load windows, and play a game on it, then there must be some way to make it run at that speed as opposed to a 700E that won't even load up at 933@133.) Advice?

KR

Oct 9, 1999
Was it at default voltage? You might want to bump the core voltage up slightly - and yes, it's possible that the G/Orb is not quite handling the temp rise with the overclock. Try upping th voltage to 1.7 or 1.75 first - this might be what's needed.

MacrossPlus

Nov 24, 2000
Yes this all occured at core voltage. Need to try bumpin it up a little.. thanks. Also, i got some compound from the store and i'm wondering if I should use this stuff or should I just keep the one that already came with the Gorb. If so, should I scrape off the stuff that came with the Gorb? Not sure what kind of compound this is...it says AOS Thermal Compounds Non - silicone HTC.

AgGolfer

Feb 15, 2000
Yea, I would take off the other compound first. Some people say you need to use a degreaser, I just used a kleenex. Check you temps before going through the trouble though. If you temps are fine with the compound that came with the gorb don't mess with it.

mikee

Jan 6, 2000
You probably should eliminate the memory as a possible source of the problem as well. Wouldn't try running at cas2 unless you're sure it can. It would be good to use pc133 memory as well unless you're sure that a stick of pc100 will run at 133 fine. If you can set the memory speed less than the bus speed (like on an Asus CUSL2) you might want to try doing that.

Up the voltage on your cpu and check the cpu temps. Make sure the gorb is making good contact with the cpu.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Yes, up your voltage first. If it's booting and running apps at stock voltage take her up another .05volts and see how stable it is. The stock paste might actually work for you if thats all it takes to get stabillity.

MacrossPlus

Nov 24, 2000
Well after upping the voltage by .5 (1.7), my 700e Cb0 runs very stable at 933@133 (2 sticks of kingston valueram 128mb PC-133 and one generic pc 128mb - 133)My temps are around 38.5C to 40C on idle.. is this too high? I left the thermal pad that came with the Golden Orb on it, although I have some compound sittin here. Should I scrape off the pad and put the compound instead? I'm not sure what the temps on a PIII should be, but I know it's lower than on AMD chips. Also... should I go more? MORE SPEED!!! I'm tempted to try to up it more, but the temps are what is keeping me from trying (and the generic PC-133... dont think that will go much over 133..) Suggestions?

shiznut123

Banned
Dec 22, 2000
thats a little high for 1.7v. you should really consider getting better cooling, your gorb cant handle the heat.get a fop32 and some arctic silver. thatll make you stable at 933mhz

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
shiznut123, you have no idea what you are talking about. A gorb with good thermal compound and 1.75v is fine. I sell a ton of pretested cpus and it's actually good at 933 up to 1.85v with a Gorb. :)

Drifter

Mar 19, 2000
>Have mine running at P3 700@133 stock Heatsink&fan (1.70)
>The stock HSF is good up to 1.80 volts (10%)after that you'll need extra cooling :) anything below 1.80V is a waste of cash. Can be put towards more/better memory or video card.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
Hi..I am running my 700@135 fsb or 945 with a GORB with same temp at idle...39-40C under full load...it reaches 45-46C without a problem...my voltage is at default 1.65v

Interestingly no matter what I do with the voltage I can not increase the chip speed and remain stable....I know my system is capable of higher fsb(up to 140) since I ran a piii450 at 140 on it without a hitch.

shiznut123

Banned
Dec 22, 2000
lowering the temp will make it stable

i do not not not not not not not not not not not not know what im talking about

is that right?

KR

Oct 9, 1999
A few of you are still trying to get the youngster stable - tht already occurred with a bump to 1.7 volts. Now, if you'll check - the max core temp for the PIII is somewhere around 85C so the temp is fine in the low 40's - especially if it's the true core temp from the PIII internal thermal diode. Even if it's mobo temp, it's still very reasonable.

As far as additional overclocking, switch to CAS3 (if not already there), bump up the FSB and see what you can get. With either the G/Orb or retail HSB you should be able to safely go up to 1.85V. If it's not stable, back down to whatever you can maintain with stability. And it's essentially as fast as the equivelently clocked AMD. Any way you cut it, 933MHZ is a very fast computer.

MacrossPlus

Nov 24, 2000
Well.. still running at 933 @ 133 but now when i play games it shuts down my game halfway through. Ever since i oc'd this chip, i've been having registry / disk problems. Is this a common side effect of overclocking? Or is my processor not calculating the data correctly at this level and causing me to have errors? Would bumping up the voltage another .5 help or would it do nothing at all? I decided not to go higher since my max would probably be 980mhz and I don't think 47mhz is worth the trouble. Just want to stay here and be happy... but play my games too!

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Ya mean .05 don't ya? Yes, keep trying upping the voltage in .05 increments till she's stable.
Don't worry untill you get up to 1.85volts. I would however recommend you remove the thermal pad if thats what you have on your gorb, and put on some thermal paste, now would be good.

Smbu

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2000
Yes, that does seem a bit high for 1.7v. I'm running my P3 700@1001mhz at 1.8v using a golden orb and my idle temp seems to be about 31-32C. Of course my case cooling might be helping my temp. I have 1x92mm fan and 3x80mm fans in my Antec SX1030B case.

Regalk

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
Well since I got my cbo a month ago it has taken a pounding from Quake 3 UT and half Life at default voltage. I use the chrome orb with Arctic silver and get temps at load around 35C. Once again, as I did so many times before, this was a random visit to a cheapie store and took the first cpu they gave me.