Piece of the motheboard damaged

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by leaveapath, Jan 5, 2013.

  1. leaveapath

    leaveapath Junior Member

    Jan 5, 2013
    Likes Received:
    I accidently damaged a part of the motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO). I’m not really sure what the term for it is called, resistor/transistor? I’m wondering if I should do anything about it or leave it be, because right now I have the PC on and everything seems to be working fine.
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads - Piece motheboard damaged Forum Date
    broken piece of a motherboard! help!! Computer Help Aug 2, 2012
    piecing togther a tower what to get first Computer Help Oct 22, 2011
    USB Port - Plastic piece inside came out? Computer Help Jun 11, 2008
    PIECE OF CRAP computer keeps freezing up!! Computer Help Jun 25, 2005
    EPOX Motheboard boot problems Computer Help May 23, 2004

  3. Harvey

    Harvey Administrator<br>Elite Member

    Oct 9, 1999
    Likes Received:
    The form factor is called SO (Small Outline), and the part could be a resistor or a capacitor. Is there a part number silkscreened anywhere near the part? If it starts with an "R," it's a resistor; if it starts with a "C," it's a capacitor. If there are any numbers on the part, they could identify the value. A magnifying glass will help to read them on parts that small.

    If you can identify it, the part is cheap enough. The bigger problem is finding a place that will sell just one or two because they are usually sold to manufacturers in bulk. Some experience with a low temperature soldering iron and steady hands would help. If you don't have a lot of electronic experience, maybe one of your friends or family can help.

    From its position next to the chip and the fact that the board is still working, it could be a decoupling capacitor, which is used to shunt any noise on a power line to ground. If that's what it is, you could notice spontaneous reboots or lockups or other intermittant weird behavior under some conditions.

    Use the board until it starts to fail, and replace the part if/as you can get it done. If you or any of your friends don't have the skills to fix it, a competent tech may charge you the price of a replacement board just for the labor time to repair it, but of course, you can always ask a good repairman for an estimate.

    Hope that helps. Good luck. :)
    #2 Harvey, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. denis280

    denis280 Diamond Member

    Jan 16, 2011
    Likes Received:
    if it is new try rma.
  5. PottedMeat

    PottedMeat Lifer

    Apr 17, 2002
    Likes Received:
    as far as i can tell an ASM1440 is a PCI-e multiplexer. from similar devices (can't find a datasheet for it) it looks like there aren't really any necessary passives so the broken part is probably a decoupling capacitor that is placed between the +3.3V and ground rails. you're probably okay unless the pieces short out or you start getting card errors from the slots around it.