Pictures of the Biltmore House/Estate/Castle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
'Tis in need of de-Munsterizing if you axe me. Alzo, what up wid da crazy slanted window box thingies? Slanted windows on their own, fine, but not thingies, by god.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Anubis
yea thats a pretty interesting place, however it IMO is a pseudo castle Neuschwanstein as you mentioned is a real castle http://www.new7wonders.com/dow...ANY/Neuschwanstein.jpg

Yeah. It seems people are hung on my calling it a house/estate/castle, but the point I was trying to make is that its extravagance in size and style is reminiscent of a castle. The interior of the Biltmore is nothing like a large estate. The tapestries, architecture, furnishings, etc. remind me of a castle. The dining room has huge statues of kings (I assume) on the wall, and so does the exterior. Not something you see in a typical estate, imo.

Look at the dining room for example. it's 70' tall, has thrones in the wall and huge statues of what I assume are kings (you can barely see these statues in the top left of this picture). It's definitely more of something like Neuschwanstein than say the Hearst Castle (which is less of a castle than the Biltmore).

Anyway, I'm not an expert on what constitutes a castle, but Wikipedia suggests that it has to be a defensive structure of some kind. If that's the case, then Neuschwanstein wouldn't really constitute a castle.

I digress :)

ades

Jul 13, 2007
I have been there twice. It is truly an incredible experience. I know for a fact that if I had enough money, my house would be absolutely huge and castle-like. Anyway, it isn't a place someone could live in today... but 100 years ago, damn, just imagine....

echow87

Nov 16, 2003
Very nice house but I bet its a tad scary during nightime and no lights are on. Imagine inside that house alone by yourself, pitch dark.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006