Picking up my new car tomorrow.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Cool! Does yours have that wild sunroof?

BTW, thank you for not posting a picture of yet another silver VW.

Oct 9, 1999
SWEET!

How long was the wait time? I am considering the Mini for my new car purchase that would take place sometime between now and when my present car fails.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Cool!

How much does insurance coverage run on these little beasties? They have dinky motors, fairly low output, and retail price is low, relatively speaking as well. Is insurance reasonable?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Cool!

How much does insurance coverage run on these little beasties? They have dinky motors, fairly low output, and retail price is low, relatively speaking as well. Is insurance reasonable?

i just had my girlfriend quote me, keep in mind, i currently pay $110/mo for a 1999 Cherokee(full coverage)

$1,604/6 mos. $500 deductibles.

bwass24

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2002
Yes, I am getting that funky sunroof.

Surprisingly, my insurance is gonna cost ~$600 less per year than I'm paying now for my 8 year old BMW 318i. Go figure.

Wait time--depends on the dealer. Newer dealers have very short wait times (3-4 weeks). The older dealers have a 6-10 MONTH waiting list.

bwass24

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2002
I just can't fathom getting hit by a SUV in one of these.

While I understand what you mean, the fact is that the new Mini isn't 'that' small of a car. It's 137" long (almost 12 feet) and is taller than most similarly sized cars. Also surprising is that the car weighs 2600 lbs, which is not insignificant. No, it's not a big car, but there are many smaller, lighter cars on the road.

Yes, the dark silver with white roof and mirrors is the same as what I'm getting.

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
OMG, the Mini website is pretty cool. Word. Can you really pick your roof color and all that stuff at a dealership? That's pretty damn cool.

Any ideas about how long getting a customized Mini would take? :D

bwass24

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2002
Any ideas about how long getting a customized Mini would take?

Like I said above...the time it takes to get a car really depends on where you get it from. And, yes, the dealer can do some of the customization, but you have to order it with the car, and not as an add on. For instance, it you get the fog lights when you order the car they cost $180, but the same fog lights cost $400 if you buy them later. The hood stripes cost $80 if you order them with the car, but they can't do them later.