Question Picking a new GPU

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
My RX 580 GPU somehow got fried. I don't think it's under warranty - it was shipped as an RMA over 2 years ago - so I probably need a new one. I have a nice Acer 34" freesync monitor, which pretty much limits me to AMD. 5700 XT is recommended. This is to go with an older Intel i7-4790, and ASRock Extreme6.

Gaming Nexus ranked them, and said XFX has the word, the best is gigabyte and Sapphire. Sapphire is looking a little better side by side. There are two on Amazon $50 apart, it's hard to tell the difference - only the ports?

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Larry is an absolute gem of a member here, glad this worked out.

As you now have a 570, it would really pay off for you to learn about undervolting and overclocking. That video above is an intro.

For all AMD GPUs basically from the past 3-4 years, it pays off to undervolt them a bit. It will simply cool it down and use less power/generate less heat, and this in turn lets you easily crank the clocks a little bit and STILL be cooler/quieter than stock.

If you want a no brainer setting to try that is well within the realm of any 570 I've ever seen, do this :

Core mv 1150 (states 3-7, leave rest stock)
Ram mv 1000

Core clock 1300
Ram clock 1800

You will get a little cooler, a little quieter, and a little faster all in one swoop.

Reactions: guachi