picked up first "new" car ever this weekend 2013 2SS Camaro Dusk Edition!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Love the car. I'm an American muscle car guy, I've owned a Mustang, Camaro, Stealth and seriously considering a Charger atm.

However, I'm curious about the "new car" aspect, as I've gone the other way, and have decided that I don't think I'll ever buy new again (leasing is a different story) - 1.5 - 2 years seems to be the best sweet spot.

What made you change, how long do your plan to keep the car?

Well I was tired of used and the issues and no warranty that comes with used cars.

I wanted new with 100k warranty and full warranty on the entire car.
as well as truly knowing the history of the car.
found out that despite a clean carfax my Infiniti I traded had been in a substantial crash.

I am leasing this for now as well same idea as you that I may want something else and not want to keep it.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Well I was tired of used and the issues and no warranty that comes with used cars.

I wanted new with 100k warranty and full warranty on the entire car.
as well as truly knowing the history of the car.
found out that despite a clean carfax my Infiniti I traded had been in a substantial crash.

I am leasing this for now as well same idea as you that I may want something else and not want to keep it.

warranties, in my experience, aren't worth the paper they are printed on. WAY too much weight on warranties when every manufacturer I have ever dealt with them on has been a pain in the @ss.... actually I should say my last experience at toyota wasn't too bad. other than that, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, Nissan, and Honda have been CRAP.

You bought the wrong car to put weight in a warranty. anything performance-ish will have a warranty held on with barely a string. You look at that car like you want to drive it hard :cough: 'race' it as far as they are concerned, oops, sorry sir, no warranty for you

edit:
I see you leased it, why are we even talking about this....

Last edited:

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
warranties, in my experience, aren't worth the paper they are printed on. WAY too much weight on warranties when every manufacturer I have ever dealt with them on has been a pain in the @ss.... actually I should say my last experience at toyota wasn't too bad. other than that, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, Nissan, and Honda have been CRAP.

You bought the wrong car to put weight in a warranty. anything performance-ish will have a warranty held on with barely a string. You look at that car like you want to drive it hard :cough: 'race' it as far as they are concerned, oops, sorry sir, no warranty for you

edit:

not sure I follow you especially on the last line.
Local Camaro club is hosted out of one of the largest Chevy dealers down here and from what I'm told are fairly mod friendly even with headers and CAIs etc.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

edit:

I agree. I thought modding a leased car is against the terms.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
I agree. I thought modding a leased car is against the terms.

there was nothing in the terms I signed that said i could not customize the car.
Ive already spent about 1000 in mods on the car.
and will continue.
and even if there was just pull everything off in 4 years when you let the car go or buy it out.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
there was nothing in the terms I signed that said i could not customize the car.
Ive already spent about 1000 in mods on the car.
and will continue.
and even if there was just pull everything off in 4 years when you let the car go or buy it out.

congrats on the new car (that is a sincere congratulations).... but I will come out and say it is beyond lame to "customize" a leased car. Furthermore, I think it is lame when people say they don't want to mod a car in fear of voiding their warranty, so they will wait 3-5 yrs or 50k miles or whatever BS point they need to cross when it magically becomes OK to put that cool K&N intake in and maybe a catback......

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
not sure I follow you especially on the last line.
Local Camaro club is hosted out of one of the largest Chevy dealers down here and from what I'm told are fairly mod friendly even with headers and CAIs etc.

what you hear and what happens when you bring your car in when you have an odd noise when engage your clutch are completely different things. If anything major happens to that car, it isn't up to your chevy dealer, it's up to chevy whether warranty covers it..

the whole warranty thing is stupid on both sides. I have seen people do some completely asinine things to cars and expect warranty coverage.... and I have seen people ask a dealership to look car a squeak in their door and been told it likely won't be covered under warranty. Until you bring your car in to XXX dealership for YYY issue, you have no basis for believing anything will be covered.

again, you are leasing this vehicle, so why are we still discussing this?

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
congrats on the new car (that is a sincere congratulations).... but I will come out and say it is beyond lame to "customize" a leased car. Furthermore, I think it is lame when people say they don't want to mod a car in fear of voiding their warranty, so they will wait 3-5 yrs or 50k miles or whatever BS point they need to cross when it magically becomes OK to put that cool K&N intake in and maybe a catback......

Its a 2SS camaro begging to be modded and turned into my car.. If I'm gonna drop 700 dollars a month in car payments for 4 years, leased or not, I'm going to mod it as I see fit.

that included appearance ( which I dropped another 900 on it today in that department)
or minor performance upgrades such as LT headers and a CAI to get it to 400 at the rear.

If I decide not to buy it out. MY stuff comes out of the car and the stock stuff goes back in.
ALL done by shops for professional jobs.

How is it yours or anyone elses business how I mod MY car? and it is MINE as long as I continue to make that payment.

this isn't a fleet car or a VW lease this is a Performance Muscle car and deserves to be treated as such.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Wait, you leased a car for $700 a month for 4 years?

You leased a car for $34k for 4 years??????

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Wait, you leased a car for $700 a month for 4 years?

You leased a car for $34k for 4 years??????

its a 54k sticker car.. at invoice in fact was 46k. this is a special edition car.. not some stock 2SS.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
You leased an SS at the cost of a base ZL1?

And want to mod it?

Um not want.. already have and will continue to.

and good luck finding even a used ZL1 at that price.
here they are selling for up to 65k

even the cheapest ZL1 was more expensive than my car by quite a margin.

hell a 2013 GT500 are selling for 76k new here. they are supposed to be 50-58k as well.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Its a 2SS camaro begging to be modded and turned into my car.. If I'm gonna drop 700 dollars a month in car payments for 4 years, leased or not, I'm going to mod it as I see fit.

that included appearance ( which I dropped another 900 on it today in that department)
or minor performance upgrades such as LT headers and a CAI to get it to 400 at the rear.

400 rwhp? is that a lot?

If I decide not to buy it out. MY stuff comes out of the car and the stock stuff goes back in.
ALL done by shops for professional jobs.

My stuff is done by a mechanic that works out of a junk yard, but somehow it is more professional than work that comes out of Professional Performance shops, so not sure what that is all about... are you bragging that you can't turn a wrench? or that you have the ability to/like to pay inflated labor costs?... but then I get to thinking, you get to pay labor twice to get back used parts when the lease is up. not seeing the logic of putting anything other than maybe a set of wheels on the car

How is it yours or anyone elses business how I mod MY car? and it is MINE as long as I continue to make that payment.

it's a lease, so technically the lease company owns it, but yes you get to drive it and pay for it, well for around 4 yrs or 48k miles ;)

this isn't a fleet car or a VW lease this is a Performance Muscle car and deserves to be treated as such.

it's a camaro... Let me clue you in on where it is headed -> LINK

you are renting the car if you want to get into it.

besides being a decent performer, the camaro is fugly. even in the 2SS package it's still a bloated, big pig looking car... or a squashed frog. the interior is ugly and has horrible visibility. For the money, I would look elsewhere, but that's what makes this country great. We have options.

a lease to the tune of 700/month is ridiculous. If you keep dropping money on "customizing" it, why the hell didn't you just buy the thing? To each their own. I sincerely hope you love the car because it is your money. I am just some dude on the internet that is giving you crap for spending 700/month on a leased camaro.... I just keep thinking of all the cars I could buy with a payment like that and a camaro isn't anywhere on that list.

It is your car, your money, so enjoy it as you will. Regardless of my thoughts on the car, congrats on your "purchase"

edited for fun

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
you are renting the car if you want to get into it.

besides being a decent performer, the camaro is fugly. even in the 2SS package it's still a bloated, big pig looking car... or a squashed frog. the interior is ugly and has horrible visibility. For the money, I would look elsewhere, but that's what makes this country great. We have options.

a lease to the tune of 700/month is ridiculous. If you keep dropping money on "customizing" it, why the hell didn't you just buy the thing? To each their own. I sincerely hope you love the car because it is your money. I am just some dude on the internet that is giving you crap for spending 700/month on a leased camaro.... I just keep thinking of all the cars I could buy with a payment like that and a camaro isn't anywhere on that list.

It is your car, your money, so enjoy it as you will. Regardless of my thoughts on the car, congrats on your "purchase"

edited for fun

Mostly what he said. But hey, I'm not your mother, so you do what you want to. I do find your choices kind of bewildering though.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
That lease rate sounds peculiar, my 335's sticker was 51k and eventhough my lease was calculated 500 below invoice I still pay 550/mo with CA tax.

700 was the lease rate for an M3....

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
my actual lease rate is 660 dollars a month.
total paid on car with interest is 31k in 48 months with a 20k buyout. right at 51k total.

the reason we chose lease is because it was much cheaper month to month as well as not being stuck with the car if something we like better comes along.

or if in 4 years we are tired of it and want the next latest and greatest ( gen 6 camaro or new stang)

Why would my choices be "bewildering" why would I want to drive a stock POS for 4 years and never really make the car yours.
If I was that type of guy I would have leased some Volt or Impala or other grandma car.

And I'm sorry Zivic but you are completely clueless.
I don't take my car to just any shop.
This is Houston Texas home to some of the best Muscle Car shops in the entire USA.
Hennessy, Phastek, Late Model Racecraft, and many many more. My car only goes to top notch shops for any kind of work.

This is not my first rodeo. Ive been around muscle cars for 30 years and know the ins and outs of the hobby.

The car will be a show car and taken to club events all over the Southwest and has already made a huge hit with the local Camaro clubs with the minor mods I have made.

Sorry but stereo, Tint, lights, and a CAI, and headers is not exactly permanent mods nor destructive mods and all can be removed in less than 1 day.
It is not like I am ripping the engine out and stroking or camming it.
no superchargers turbos no nothing major.
just appearance and minor bolt ons.
that does not break my terms at all according to my dealer. the rule is nothing permanent no bodywork changes and no powertrain internal changes.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
And I'm sorry Zivic but you are completely clueless.
I don't take my car to just any shop.
This is Houston Texas home to some of the best Muscle Car shops in the entire USA.
Hennessy, Phastek, Late Model Racecraft, and many many more. My car only goes to top notch shops for any kind of work.

This is not my first rodeo. Ive been around muscle cars for 30 years and know the ins and outs of the hobby.

The car will be a show car and taken to club events all over the Southwest and has already made a huge hit with the local Camaro clubs with the minor mods I have made.

Sorry but stereo, Tint, lights, and a CAI, and headers is not exactly permanent mods nor destructive mods and all can be removed in less than 1 day.
It is not like I am ripping the engine out and stroking or camming it.
no superchargers turbos no nothing major.
just appearance and minor bolt ons.
that does not break my terms at all according to my dealer. the rule is nothing permanent no bodywork changes and no powertrain internal changes.

Not sure your point... good for you if you have a good shop in your area. I have a few around me as well, but why brag about taking your car there? is it to brag about how much money you have to pay the labor costs? to brag that you don't have the ability to do it yourself? Either one of those doesn't hold water because a.) you leased the car instead of buying and b.) why brag about your lack of skills? Besides, a set of headers and a CAI is hardly brain surgery.... just not seeing why you keep making a big point about it.

as far as being a "huge hit", I am sure there are people out there that think your car is great.... you think your car is great. But there are a lot of people out there that scratch their heads at a $50k+ camaro. But hey, yours is tinted and has lights, so I can see that it really must be 'that' much more special than the other camaros out there.

Glad you like it, but I can't help think the guys that are attracted to the camaro must chase after the "thick" women as well LOL

May 13, 2009
I don't like any car at 50k. Mustang, Camaro, etc. I'd have to be a millionaire before I bought a 50k car and even then it'd be a cash purchase.
If I had the money to blow I'd probably pick up a clean 67-69 muscle car for around 20k.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Not sure your point... good for you if you have a good shop in your area. I have a few around me as well, but why brag about taking your car there? is it to brag about how much money you have to pay the labor costs? to brag that you don't have the ability to do it yourself? Either one of those doesn't hold water because a.) you leased the car instead of buying and b.) why brag about your lack of skills? Besides, a set of headers and a CAI is hardly brain surgery.... just not seeing why you keep making a big point about it.

as far as being a "huge hit", I am sure there are people out there that think your car is great.... you think your car is great. But there are a lot of people out there that scratch their heads at a $50k+ camaro. But hey, yours is tinted and has lights, so I can see that it really must be 'that' much more special than the other camaros out there.

Glad you like it, but I can't help think the guys that are attracted to the camaro must chase after the "thick" women as well LOL

Why on earth would I want to work on my own car? I work for a living I sure as hell dont have time to work on my own car.
of course you take a car to a shop to get worked on and custom installs done.

the average 2013 muscle cars are all sitting in the same price range. Sure you can buy a V6 or a super stripped 1SS for 20k less but why would you even bother? no comfort no luxury might as well buy an old used car.
50k is 20k 20 years ago.

and there are also 60k+ Camaros and Cobras as well.
if you want to continue to live in the 1980s that's great.
but this is 2013 and we have inflation.

You guys sound like my grandparents.. "when I was your age we could buy a Corvette for 2k and a tank of gas for a $1.00.

sorry this is a new world.

hell to replace my Infiniti with a 2013 model of the exact car I had was right at 60k.
for a loaded G37 Coupe.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
I don't like any car at 50k. Mustang, Camaro, etc. I'd have to be a millionaire before I bought a 50k car and even then it'd be a cash purchase.
If I had the money to blow I'd probably pick up a clean 67-69 muscle car for around 20k.

Good luck with that.
even new trucks and especially SUVs are all in that range..

guess you will be buying used and spending even more than I did keeping that old car running and modern.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Why on earth would I want to work on my own car? I work for a living I sure as hell dont have time to work on my own car.
of course you take a car to a shop to get worked on and custom installs done.

You can, but don't need to. I respect those that can do the work themself over someone that can write a check.

the average 2013 muscle cars are all sitting in the same price range. Sure you can buy a V6 or a super stripped 1SS for 20k less but why would you even bother? no comfort no luxury might as well buy an old used car.
50k is 20k 20 years ago.

and there are also 60k+ Camaros and Cobras as well.

I'm not buying...er renting those either

if you want to continue to live in the 1980s that's great.
but this is 2013 and we have inflation.

You guys sound like my grandparents.. "when I was your age we could buy a Corvette for 2k and a tank of gas for a $1.00.

sorry this is a new world.

hell to replace my Infiniti with a 2013 model of the exact car I had was right at 60k.
for a loaded G37 Coupe.
You act like you have to look at a 50k+ car to get anything. We have great cars in the 20's.

May 13, 2009
Good luck with that.
even new trucks and especially SUVs are all in that range..

guess you will be buying used and spending even more than I did keeping that old car running and modern.

You can get a well equipped f150 new for 25-27k. Sure it won't be decked out in leather and what not but it'll get you and your cargo where it's needed.
I think in America today people waste too much money on cars. I mean the fact that people are willing to spend a years plus salary on a vehicle is mind boggling. I am driving my $3500 mustang on a daily basis. It has a motor with about 50k miles on it and I never even worry if it will start when I go to get in it.
Vehicles are the worst investment you can make. When I'm ready I will find a 6-7 year old car with under 100k and likely drive it for 3 years and resell it and recoup a good portion of the money. Not only that I don't pay high insurance rates due to driving insanely expensive vehicles.
If you feel comfortable with your financial situation to spend 5x as much as I will in transportation costs then more power to you.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Nice car CVSiN, but stop feeding the trolls. I don't know why some people want to dictate how you should spend your money and what you should spend it on.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
You act like you have to look at a 50k+ car to get anything. We have great cars in the 20's.

like? even a loaded out anemic 200hp FRS is nearly 30k.
nothing even close in the 400-500+ hp sports car range.
obviously what I consider "great" is far different than yours or the Oil field dude.

Hell what I really wanted was a GTR but you cant touch those for under 100k now.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
like? even a loaded out anemic 200hp FRS is nearly 30k.
nothing even close in the 400-500+ hp sports car range.
obviously what I consider "great" is far different than yours or the Oil field dude.

Hell what I really wanted was a GTR but you cant touch those for under 100k now.

I can tell you first hand it isn't all about the HP. I am not looking for a stat sheet car, I want the car to be fun first, and if it has a lot of HP on top of that, great.

in the 20's
BRZ/FRS
Miata MX-5
Focus ST
WRX

the list is almost endless in the used market
NSX
EVO's
Corvettes
-your camaro in a couple yrs ;)

seriously though, don't act like you are swinging a big d!ck because you are leasing a redneck's wet dream. It isn't a bad car regardless of how fat and ugly it is, but considering the money, it is nothing more than overpriced IMHO. in the 50's you are in boxster/cayman territory among many other cars.

and how did you go from a GTR to a camaro? evo/STI would be more along the lines of the GTR -> boosted/AWD. You could have gotten a used GTR and if shopped correctly it would still be a great car in used dress. for 20 grand flat you could get a nice evo, throw 3-5 grand at it, and make 500+ WHP... to each their own

Last edited: