Picked of a Transformer Infinity...

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Vic Vega, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

The screen is quite amazing, better than any tablet I have personally used. YMMV.

Battery life is to me very good, lasts all (working) day (9-12 hours) but I charge it as soon as I am home from the office overnight.

One thing is completely apparent: this device was not intended for the careless user. I am extremely gingerly with it and feel like it can last if I do my part but I don't believe Asus intends for me to be using this device in 24 to 36 months time, despite costing $500.

Did I mention it's fast? It's really fast.

#1 Vic Vega, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Did you get the dock? I hope so -- otherwise the Nexus 10 probably makes more sense.

3. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

Not interested in the dock, I have a desktop for serious typing. The on-screen keyboard does fine for my purposes.

Nexus 10 is great and all, which retailers have it right now?

4. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

Comes out next Tuesday. Hopefully you paid under $399 for the Transformer Infinity otherwise the Nexus 10 is a far better deal. Plus, 100% Google-supported stock Android. Hard to beat that.

5. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

Haters gonna' hate. :)

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

Congrats on your new device. Honest question though - did you actually forget or not know about the Nexus 10 or did you know about it and still purposely bought the Transformer?

7. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

I hope the idle battery life is better than my TF300. :\ I'm a bit spoiled by my old iPad as I could just leave it sitting around and never worry about its battery. It kind of reminds me of my PSP vs. Nintendo DS. My PSP would be dead after 3 weeks, but my DS had a full charge after a year.

8. Strk

Strk Lifer

The $399 nexus 10 only has 16gb, whereas the infinity has 32gb.

9. Muadib

Muadib Lifer

Congrats on a great purchase. I love my TF700. I just got the keyboard this week. It also has a battery that charges the tablet. It's well worth getting for that alone.

10. you2

you2 Diamond Member

I don't believe the nexus 10 has sd slot; which many folks like for stuff such as movies; also early reports is that while the nexus 10 screen is oled; it is not quite up to snuff.

btw I've had the infinity for a while; personally I think it is fine but not the greatest thing since slice butter. It has wicked good wifi reception but it slows down when doing a bit of i/o; the screen is nice - not 100% sure it is worth the premimum I paid but it is fine. Bards tale looks wicked nice on it. I mostly use it for watching videos on long cross country flights.

#10 you2, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  11. vshah

vshah Lifer

N10 screen is not oled, it is pls. and all reports are it is great screen.

Pros for nexus: better screen, stock android, faster CPU and GPU, more ram

Pros for Asus: keyboard dock, sdcard slot, aluminum construction

Both are 499 for 32gb. I'd go with the nexus. You can use USB otg for more storage.

#11 vshah, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  12. you2

you2 Diamond Member

My mistake it is pls; while engadget is not my favorite review site they do make some 1:1 comparison between the infinity and nexus 10 screen:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-10-review/

So here is a review that contradicts your comment; as they do not find it to be a great screen.

Anyways it sounds like walmart will be selling nexus 10; so hopefully they will have display models and folks can check it out for themselves :)

Also they run a few benchmarks; and I would hardly label it 'faster'; pretty much seems par for the cpu; though the gpu is quite a bit faster (this doesn't surprise me as samsung does a good job here); also the speakers are probably better on the nexus 10; but battery life on the infinity is much better. Seems that the infinty has a better camera (though i'm not sure I see the point of a camera on a tablet)

One thing is that your comment is that the nexus 10 is thinner/lighter but here is the quote from the above review:
    "other than a relative lack of resolution (1,920 x 1,200 vs. this guy's 2,560 x 1,600) the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 is, we think, an overall better package. It's thinner, lighter, faster, has a much better camera, offers better battery life (particularly if you opt for the keyboard dock) and, frankly, we'd take the brightness and contrast of that 600 nit, Super IPS+ panel over this one with its extra pixels."

So I did not bother to look up the exact spec of the nexus 10 but assuming the review is not blatant wrong I think you have mispoken.

#12 you2, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  13. Wingznut

Wingznut Elite Member

The dock is $150... Ouch!

14. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Asus is aluminum. To some that feels more high end than plastic.

15. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Yeah but has USB, a full size SDCard slot, and an extended battery.

16. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Sure to hit $100 during sales

17. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

I may pick one up then. After two weeks of using the Infinity so far I haven't come into a situation where I needed to do a ton of typing and for the moderate times voice to text has been sufficient.

18. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

Minor correction, but the ASUS TF700 is lighter and thinner. TF700 is 8.5mm and 598 grams. Nexus 10 is 8.9mm and 603 grams. Very small differences though.

19. you2

you2 Diamond Member

Vaguely I think one of the black friday ads I saw mentioned the price being $100 for the dock. Note that the dock is pretty much the same for the last 3 or 4 models asus tablets; and I've seen it for a $100 once or twice but generally speaking it seems to hold its price.

20. s44

s44 Diamond Member

BF at Best Buy has the TF300 for $280 and dock for $100. Not sure where the Infinity one will pop up.

Of course, my local BB seems to be clearing the TF300 out *right now* for $250.

#20 s44, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  21. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

I love my Infinity Pad. The only real complaints I have are the single rear facing speaker and the proprietary connector. The connector is sort of forgivable, its not uncommon and it does the job. The speaker, not so much. Its like they never bothered to test the device out before putting into mass production.

22. vshah

vshah Lifer

oops! my bad.

23. Muadib

Muadib Lifer

Best Buy is where I got it, and it was $99. It looks like it will be $99 again for Black Friday.

24. you2

you2 Diamond Member

I've been told that the speaker is actually stero; though putting them right next to each other doesn't help much with the stero effect. One thing that was super odd is when I purchase the unit it was very soft but when I updated to jelly bean it suddenly became much louder. Then they did yet another firmware release a couple of days ago and it is now somewhere in the middle with regards to max volume.