Pick between 3 Cameras

apcalypseone

May 15, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am a n00b at cameras so please excuse me for my mistakes.

I have shortlisted 4 Digital Cameras so i need your valuable suggestions:

Sony Cybershot W110.
Sony Cybershot W120
Canon Powershot A570IS

Now SONY has more reputation than Canon (as for me) and so far i have seen that W110 has CARL ZEISS lens and BIONZ image processor(gives better color), but i didn't understand reading specs of Canon, but whichever will be choice, despite of more manual or automatic controls, i will learn it soon(through reading manual).
Then there as specs like focus, Zoom(4X same in all), ISO etc. etc.
Please don't consider the price, i am much more into the quality as all have almost same price.
Now i am stuck here in selecting above mentioned models.
So, i really need your valuable suggestions.

Thanks.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
It's Canon, not Cannon. CZ lens on that really isn't CZ lens. If so, Ponit-and-Shoot Leica is real Leica as well.
Bionz processor is nothing special. It's just a name of imaging processor. It won't give you better color. It will give you different color than the other brands.
After all, you won't really see quality differences on those cameras. Get the one that looks good. If you really want quality in small sized cameras, DP1 would be your best choice.

apcalypseone

May 15, 2007
Thank u deadtrees for ur valuable suggestion.
But as u are saying there isn't much of a difference among them all, so i can go for any cam whichever comes cheap!

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
almost. I still prefer the images that canon generates, and have a bias against sony (except for some of their SLR's and their old F717/F707? can't remember). In the choices you put, the sony will definitely be sexier and easier to carry vs the A series canon (assuming you want to pocket it). Also, might want to look at the Canon A590IS because it can be had for not too much more sometimes... alternatively, the A570IS can be pretty cheap, heh.

Your best bet is to look at the sample pictures of the camera's taken, then decide which one conforms to your needs. Don't get drawn into the big name lens hype for these P&S cameras.

And I'd pass on the Sigma DP1 too, unless you know exactly what you're getting into :)

apcalypseone

May 15, 2007
Thank u for ur suggestions randomlinh.
I had also shortlisted A590IS but it is in 8MP range and i 've heard that more MPs leads to poor quality and besides, few reviews says that it is more or less same as A570IS and since A570IS comes cheap, i think i A570IS is a better option?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I say this as a confirmed Zeiss nut: The best Canon lenses are just as good as the best Zeiss lenses. And the lenses in compact cameras of either company are nowhere near the best of each maker's lenses. In the P&S cameras, Zeiss contributes their coatings and some design assistance, but the lenses are not comparable to the Zeiss lenses for SLR cameras.

I definitely agree that Bionz is just a name. It will be a little different from Canon's Digic processor but not necessarily better or worse.

Very honestly, Sony is not a company I would lean towards for a point and shoot. I like their A700 DSLR (and think their other DSLRs are underrated, though they could use improvement in some areas), but for P&S cameras I really think that Fuji is leading with their SuperCCD cameras. If I had to buy a new pocketable camera I would buy a Fuji F50. If I could get any P&S, I would get a Fuji F31fd.

ZV

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I have always enjoyed Canon P&S cameras and so has many friends and family. They are simple to use with many features. Plus the A series uses AA batteries so its easy to get cheap replacements. As others have said brand names are just that on P&S and don't add a noticible advantage.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
apcalypseone, you had mentioned don't consider the price, which is why I mentioned the A590IS. I too don't like cramming more megapixels in a smaller sensor, either, but processing technology compensates for it, so long as it doesn't go to extremes. The 570IS is still a good camera, and the money saved can go into some eneloops for it.

I forgot to mention go to the store and look at it.. play with the interface some. I find canon's to be very clean and easy, vs say some of the casio's I picked up that was a bit more "messy" IMO.

apcalypseone

May 15, 2007
^
I think u have made a really good point here. I 've also got some fair reviews about the A570IS and i think i will go for A570IS, and save some dough for good batteries.

Thanks everyone, thanks for the big help. I certainly will remember your great suggestions.
I will also post some clicked from the Canon A570IS!

apcalypseone

May 15, 2007
^
I think u have made a really good point here. I 've also got some fair reviews about the A570IS and i think i will go for A570IS, and save some dough for good batteries.

Thanks everyone, thanks for the big help. I certainly will remember your great suggestions.
I will also post some clicks from the Canon A570IS!

apcalypseone

May 15, 2007
Guys i need ur help again! My 4 days vacations went completely crap as i didn't had anything to shoot from.
I can't find the A570IS as my dealer says it is discontinued from Canon, but he is insisting me on buying A590IS which is a higher model & also he showed me PANASONIC LUMIX LZ8 and selling for the same price as A590IS. LZ8 has LEICA LENS has 5X optical zoom & some fair options & is sleeker than A590IS. Also LZ8 has 3year wrranty & A590IS has 2 year from Panasonic & Canon respectively.

Now tell me which one is better & which one should i go for?

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
same deal with zeiss on sony those aren't leica on the penny. you can try to go to dpreview.com and see if the picture style is what you like for each of these camera.

or you can take my biased advise and go for the canon.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I'm a huge fan of the Canon cameras. Their little point and shoot SD series cams take amazing photos.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
It's a toss up really. Both cameras will take great pictures. The Canon will be a little better off if you take more pictures in low light, since Panasonic's VENUS III image processor applies a LOT of noise reduction that compromises the quality of images taken at ISO 400 or above (I say this as the owner of a Panasonic FZ8). However, the Panasonic has a wider angle lens (32 vs 35), so if you like to get more coverage in your shots then the Panasonic has that going for it.

Also, the LZ8 does not have manual controls, something that the Canon does have. That could be a selling point for you if you like more control over the camera in difficult shooting situations.