picasa pics don't look as good as they do with a computer?

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
The colors look more muted. Here's a quick example of Picasa vs. Windows picture and fax viewer

screenshot

pics.bbzzdd looks like the windows picture and fax viewer.

The pic I linked to is a jpeg, but the colors on this screenshot are pretty much the same as a png screenshot.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Are the pics that you uploaded in sRGB or Adobe RGB color space? You should use sRGB for the best color matching.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
Are the pics that you uploaded in sRGB or Adobe RGB color space? You should use sRGB for the best color matching.

Do you mean from the camera or from the image editor?

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: fanerman91

Well, from the camera it can be either but Adobe RGB is recommended for straight from the camera. But if you want to publish photos to the web, you need to convert the photos that you plan to upload to the web into sRGB color space.

So for example:

I shoot in Adobe RGB. The pictures come out of the camera in Adobe RGB, get edited, and the keepers are saved as TIFF files with Adobe RGB. When I want to upload to the web, I open up the TIFFs in Photoshop, convert the colorspace to sRGB, and make sRGB JPG copies of the pictures that I then upload to the web. I then close the TIFF images, choosing NOT to save changes so that they stay in Adobe RGB colorspace instead of getting saved with the new sRGB colorspace.

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003

Well, from the camera it can be either but Adobe RGB is recommended for straight from the camera. But if you want to publish photos to the web, you need to convert the photos that you plan to upload to the web into sRGB color space.

So for example:

I shoot in Adobe RGB. The pictures come out of the camera in Adobe RGB, get edited, and the keepers are saved as TIFF files with Adobe RGB. When I want to upload to the web, I open up the TIFFs in Photoshop, convert the colorspace to sRGB, and make sRGB JPG copies of the pictures that I then upload to the web. I then close the TIFF images, choosing NOT to save changes so that they stay in Adobe RGB colorspace instead of getting saved with the new sRGB colorspace.

:thumbsup: good to know

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002

So for example:

That worked! I love you FBB.

I've heard about shooting in adobe RGB, but I didn't realize it'd be best to convert to SRGB for jpegs. Thanks!

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006

So for example:

That worked! I love you FBB.

I've heard about shooting in adobe RGB, but I didn't realize it'd be best to convert to SRGB for jpegs. Thanks!

Good to know :)

It's good to shoot and edit in Adobe RGB because it is a larger color space than sRGB, meaning Adobe RGB can represent more colors than sRGB. If you shoot in sRGB and your camera could shoot in Adobe RGB, you'll essentially throwing some colors away.

Quite a few photographers actually shoot in Adobe RGB and then convert to and edit in Pro Photo color space. Pro Photo is the largest color space out there, even encompassing imaginary colors. The point of this is to give the widest possible latitude for image editing and color adjustments.

But when it comes to displaying photos on the web, sRGB is the only color space that is universally displayed correctly by browsers and operating systems. Other color spaces like Adobe RGB and Pro Photo only work within programs with color management, such as Photoshop.

In addition, when you send your pictures out to be printed by an online printer, make sure your files are in sRGB, or else your prints will turn out like your late Picasa shots. There are some places that can take photos in other color spaces, but the popular places like Adorama don't like anything other than sRGB.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have used it, and have taught a course in it. But, I won't use it anymore - it is very difficult to SAVE As in a non-Picasa folder. It is so made for dummies that it is difficult to control. :)

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: geckojohn
Does anyone else use Google Picassa?

I use it and love it. It has the best interface for managing photos, IMO. The editing tools are good enough for casual use, but I tend to either leave them alone or heavily edit, in which case I use PS. So for me, Picasa is mainly an organization tool.

morkman100

Jun 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: geckojohn
Does anyone else use Google Picassa?

I use it and love it. It has the best interface for managing photos, IMO. The editing tools are good enough for casual use, but I tend to either leave them alone or heavily edit, in which case I use PS. So for me, Picasa is mainly an organization tool.

Yeah, and it makes it really easy/quick to upload images to the web (picasaweb.google.com) to share (I hate how everyone has a digital camera now and are always taking pictures, but I never see them... I refuse to do that).

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Is there a "convert colorspace" function in PS from a dropdown? I'm having a helluva time figuring out a way to do this in paint shop pro X.