Physx cards worth it for ATi owners?

lamere

Jul 22, 2006
Just wondering everyones opinions on physx cards before they come obsolete......
is it worth getting one if you have an ATi card?
i was thinking of picking one up now since they are so cheap, or i should say cheaper than before.

cheers:beer:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
There's some guy working on porting PhysX to AMD hardware. I'd say give it some time to see how everything pans out.

How cheap have the PhysX cards gotten?

lamere

Jul 22, 2006
about 119 at the 'egg

i hear its really not a good thing for physx to run on ati hardware since ati has workings with havok and i agree

nvidia would love it though

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Hopefully one day I'll be able to use a spare nVidia card to run PhysX and use whatever card for 3D rendering. (If PhysX never comes to ATI hardware)

Grinja

Jul 31, 2007
Another thing to consider would be drivers for these cards ... I really doubt nVidia will be developing drivers for the old PysX cards.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Grinja
Another thing to consider would be drivers for these cards ... I really doubt nVidia will be developing drivers for the old PysX cards.

They are still keeping PPU support for the near-term, but I would expect them to quietly drop it in another product cycle or two. At that point, whatever GPUs available will prob be decently faster anyway.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Only reason to get it would be if you're a huge fan of any of the games that it can be useful for...UT3 is just about it...

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
It would be more worth it to spend the money on another card to run CF or SLI rather than run 1 vid card and the PhysX card.
I'd rather have faster frames than slow and pretty fireworks.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
Certain UT3 maps are the only practical application I've seen (aside from benchmarks). No one plays UT3.

Jul 6, 2008
physx = future

It's going to be awhile before it becomes mainstream. Current cards will be obsolete by the time it is relevant.

Hopefully, it will be a bigger hit than X-Fi X-RAM.....