Physics/Chemistry guru's (or novice's)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hiredgoons

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know if it has a name (it probably does); I just substituted p for mv in E = .5mv^2. It's not that useful though since any time you'd know the kinetic energy you'd almost definitely be able to calculate the momentum from the same information.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: hiredgoons
I don't know if it has a name (it probably does); I just substituted p for mv in E = .5mv^2. It's not that useful though since any time you'd know the kinetic energy you'd almost definitely be able to calculate the momentum from the same information.

Yeah, I know, I was just curious :p.

Another question: Why doesn't this work with E = mc^2?

Either I don't understand the theory or I do and it's not correct.
E = E (makes sense).
.5mv^2 = mc^2 (makes less sense, but can still be correct).
Let m = 10 kg and v = 20 m/s. c ~= 300.000.000 m/s.
.5x10x(20^2) != 10x(300.000.000^2)...

It's probably me being a dumbass, though..

hiredgoons

Oct 25, 2006
They're different types of energy. The E in E = .5mv^2 is only kinetic energy, whereas the E in E = mc^2 refers to the energy stored in an atom's nucleus (all the protons repel each other, so if you split the nucleus all the energy holding them together is released).

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
They're different types of energy. The E in E = .5mv^2 is only kinetic energy, whereas the E in E = mc^2 refers to the energy stored in an atom's nucleus (all the protons repel each other, so if you split the nucleus all the energy holding them together is released).

Ooooooh! THANKS! I keep learning more and more :).

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
You've joined just 5 days ago.. You're really smart :p.. Are you in college or something?

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Heh, thanks. I'm actually on here because I'm trying to avoid studying for a midterm :D

So you're in college, then? :p

I've got midterms now, too. :(

I've got seven tests, and I think I'm okay for chemistry, German, English, Greek, Classical Cultures. I'm totally gonna fail physics and social studies, though :(.

Well, gotta run, the test is in 45 minutes :).

Cheers!