Photoshop CS4

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
On top of what's mentioned, I'm going to love 64bit CPU and GPU support.
No more I'm going to suffer from having many high MP layers. I really need that as I'm going for 21mp 5d mk2(40-50 MP MF users must be damn happy.)
I hope 6Gb would be enough.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: episodic
When will it be available?

Who knows but they were showing it at Photokina and it's available for pre-order - so I would guess a month or two.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I was just about to get CS3 in June...but heard the rumors and can't wait for CS4 to come out now!

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
You know, I just don't see that much to get too excited about. This looks like a standard Adobe release with incremental features; I don't see anything that stands out like, say, adjustment layers or smart objects.

Smoother panning and zooming and fluid canvas rotation

This could potentially be good. Unless it helps with multi-gig files, however, there's currently only a negligible middle ground of images where panning is an issue for me.

Adjustments panel

So it's a panel instead of a popup window. Big deal. I did see some better image interactivity in the animation, so that might be useful.

Masks panel

Great for comping, probably not great for final retouching.

Content-Aware Scaling

This looks like a fun "toy" but I can't imagine that the results are production quality. Possibly useful for comping.

Auto-blending of images

Again, a fun toy, but possibly useful for comping.

Auto-alignment of layers

Potentially useful. About once a year.

Efficient file management with Adobe Bridge CS4

Bridge. Probably useful for some people.

Extended depth of field

Again, potentially useful, about once a year.

Improved Adobe Photoshop Lightroom workflow

I don't use LR so I'm not qualified to comment here.

Better raw image processing

Good thing.?

Industry-leading color correction

Updated burn and dodge. Probably good.

More powerful printing options

I can't remember the last time I printed directly from PS.

File display options

This, actually, will probably end up being more useful to me than anything else I've seen. Depending, of course, on how it's implemented.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Well it's not that I'm excited about the adjustments panel, but some of the new options for the things in it. Like if you saw the curves adjustment where they picked a spot on the image and adjusted by that. Looks very nice for retouch work.

If the DOF extend stuff works well, then no need to buy Helicon Focus. Focus stacking is really nice for macro photogs.

Bridge I don't give a damn about because I use LR, so LR workflow better than it already is can't be a bad thing.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: OdiN
Well it's not that I'm excited about the adjustments panel, but some of the new options for the things in it. Like if you saw the curves adjustment where they picked a spot on the image and adjusted by that. Looks very nice for retouch work.

If the DOF extend stuff works well, then no need to buy Helicon Focus. Focus stacking is really nice for macro photogs.

Bridge I don't give a damn about because I use LR, so LR workflow better than it already is can't be a bad thing.

Yeah, that's what I meant by image interactivity. Currently you can sample image areas for where it falls on the curve, but this does seem nicer.

My point is that this doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over CS3. I guess we'll see - maybe there's more to it.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: rivan
Originally posted by: OdiN

Yeah, that's what I meant by image interactivity. Currently you can sample image areas for where it falls on the curve, but this does seem nicer.

My point is that this doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over CS3. I guess we'll see - maybe there's more to it.

Yeah I'm sure there's other stuff, but we'll see.

I currently use Nik's Viveza for some things and it looks like CS4 will have some adjustments like that which will be nice.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Argh. Just bought CS3 two months ago :|

think adobe offers extreme discounts for people like u. i know they did for my past company.

Oct 19, 2000
I've been playing around with CS4 for the first time tonight, and I'm loving it so far. Coupled with Nik's Color Efex Pro 3.0, and I'm in heaven.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: blurredvision
I've been playing around with CS4 for the first time tonight, and I'm loving it so far. Coupled with Nik's Color Efex Pro 3.0, and I'm in heaven.

What're the major improvements you see? It'll be a few weeks before it rolls out at work and a few months probably before I upgrade at home.

Also, what platform/os are you on?

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: rivan
Originally posted by: blurredvision

What're the major improvements you see? It'll be a few weeks before it rolls out at work and a few months probably before I upgrade at home.

Also, what platform/os are you on?

32-bit Vista is what I'm running on.

The biggest things I like so far in my very little time with it is the slightly redesigned interface with tabs and the new non-destructive adjustments panel. The adjustments panel is a pretty nice addition, being able to adjust many things on the fly without having to commit one adjustment before going into the menus to change another. Everything you really need is right there, and you can tweak everything fairly quickly without worrying about messing up the image and having to go backwards to fix it.

There's also small tweaks here and there that I personally am glad to see, but not worth mentioning. The content aware scaling looks pretty neat, something I may actually get some use out of, but I haven't even tested it yet.