photography & photoshop gurus

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
When I take a photo with my digital camera, what can i do in photoshop to touch it up and make it look nicer?

are there particular things i can always do or does it depend on the individual photo?

i'm always seeing these photos that look amazing clear and full of rich color but mine never look that way. i assumed it was done by using some kind of editing software.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Auto Levels FTW!

I personally use the Manual Levelling. Levelling is the quickest way to make your photos look great.

Also, the color adjustments. Add a little "Warmth" to your portraits by adding a little more RED and Yellow to them.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Clearness is generally defined by the quality of the camera/lens and focus used. The color, however, can be edited in Photoshop or your standard photo editing software - brightness/contrast is the ticket.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Nikon D50

maybe its my lenses. i have the 18-55mm kit lens, a 70-300mm tamron and a 28-80mm lens. not sure who made the 28-80mm one. the 28-80 and the 70-300 i got used from my dad.

they take ok photos but they don't seem much better than what a P&S would take. or maybe i'm just too used to looking at photos taken with expensive pro cameras and lenses.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
Nikon D50

maybe its my lenses. i have the 18-55mm kit lens, a 70-300mm tamron and a 28-80mm lens. not sure who made the 28-80mm one. the 28-80 and the 70-300 i got used from my dad.

they take ok photos but they don't seem much better than what a P&S would take. or maybe i'm just too used to looking at photos taken with expensive pro cameras and lenses.

Generally that's a symptom of an operator limitation.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
Nikon D50

A lot of that may have something to do with the way your camera is set up. P&S cameras are designed to pump up the saturation and image sharpening, so that you get vibrant, punchy pictures straight from the camera. DSLRs, meanwhile, default to a softer, more toned-down image. You can compensate by either turning up the in-camera settings, or adjusting things in an image editor like Paintshop Pro or Photoshop.

Nate

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
From what I can tell, the pros you see posting on the likes of www.photo.net do several things.

1) They are just good/talented people. They have an eye. They understand lighting, depth of field, framing, and the limits of their talent and equipment.
2) As soon as they receive a new camera body and lens, they send BOTH back to the manufacturer for precise calibration.
3) They have good equipment but not everyone has the latest DSLR body and bag full of the best lenses. (I have seen awesome shots with a Sony F828 for example.)
4) They maintain their equipment: clean the lenses, clean the sensor, mirror box, etc.
5) They often shoot in RAW format. Other in-camera settings are often neutral.
6) They are Photoshop geniuses and know exactly what they want their result to look like.

Sharpness and clarity are a result of a really good body and lens combination. This means: 1) A clean sensor, 2) A good lens, 3) A clean lens, 4) Factory calibration of both lens and body. Sharpness and clarity also depends on how slow the shutter speed is, whether the lens/body has Image Stabilization, whether you're using a tripod, high ISO settings, etc. Yes, a good Canon "L" usually produces better out-of-camera/non-photoshopped images than a non-L lens, but this is not always the case.

By shooting in RAW format, you have tons of options in Photoshop in terms of correcting contrast, brightness, color, saturation, vignetting, noise, etc.

The Pros also use lots of extras too: 1) External flash for bounce flash/angled flash, 2) Various filters, etc.

There is a lot of work in getting really good shots...again, my definition being a lot what you see on www.photo.net in the "Top Photos" section.