Photographing the upcoming Venus Transit

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I haven't done much astrological type photography so looking for pointers or tips on photographing the upcoming venus transit. The photos are best taken at sunset so that means exposing the cameras sensor to focused direct sunlight. I don't have a lot of spare cash so looking for ways to minimize the damage that direct sunlight can cause and still get some good pics.

If you haven't heard of the venus transit, here is a link, next chance for viewing is 2117.
http://science.nasa.gov/venus-transit/

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Don't expose your eyes to direct sunlight either.

What I would do is use live view rather than optical viewfinder, and use filters to darken the sun to protect the sensor. Stack a non circular polarizer in front of your normal circular polarizer. Then you can rotate them relative to each other to block any amount of light you want.

Theoretically you could also view the sun with your eyes if your adjustable sensor is set dark enough, but I wouldn't chance it... UV might still get through, or you could accidentally rotate it wrong, etc.

Maybe you could also place a piece of welding glass in front of your camera.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Don't take chances with your eyes. Astronomy-grade mylar is super cheap on ebay ($10 for a 4"x4" sheet), or get some #14 welders glass.

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
If you have a DSLR, I wouldn't be too worried about damaging the sensor with sunlight. The biggest concerns are prolonged exposures to sunlight which might physically burn the sensor from the light concentrated through the lens, but we're talking really long exposure times which you would normally only use at night. The sensor in an SLR is only exposed for a very short period of time under normal operation. That said, I wouldn't use Live View because this has your sensor constantly exposed to the light.

Also, the sunlight during sunset/sunrise is shone at a less direct angle so much of the light gets diffracted by the atmosphere and clouds. Thus the strength of the sunlight during these times isn't nearly as strong as during midday.

A P&S camera, however, typically always has the sensor exposed so these are much more susceptible to sunlight damage.

The biggest concern should be protecting your eyes, but you can still look through the viewfinder briefly - just don't look directly at the sun in the viewfinder. Look at the environment, focus, and composition of the picture around the sun and try not to look for that long.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I haven't tried it for photography, but I used it for the eclipse and it made viewing it quite comfortable. It's a quite common alternative to getting the eclipse glasses. I would only imagine a fast shutter with a stopped down lens being less sensitive than the retina.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I haven't tried it for photography, but I used it for the eclipse and it made viewing it quite comfortable. It's a quite common alternative to getting the eclipse glasses. I would only imagine a fast shutter with a stopped down lens being less sensitive than the retina.

You could view an eclipse comfortably with no eye protection, and that is the problem. Your eye doesn't detect how bright it is, because it sees mostly darkness with only a sliver of bright. But that sliver will burn your retina.

If you look at the sun intentionally on a normal day, you instinctively close your eyes and look away, but that reflex doesn't happen with an eclipse which makes them dangerous.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
You could view the sun uneclipsed comfortably with a CD.

Yes, you could. But it's not the visible light that will destroy your vision. Please don't encourage people to put theirs at risk, especially when safe alternatives are so easily available.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
The danger isn't losing your sight, it's burning your retina, which creates a permanent spot in your vision for the rest of your life.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Let see some pics! Here's my first attempt at sun photography.

venustransit.jpg

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Do you adjust white balance so the sun looks yellow/orange instead of white? Or is the color from the filter?