Photograph of Bill Clinton and Rev. Wright Surfaces

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So Bill Clinton took a picture with the guy? If that's all Obama got to deflect this criticism, then he is even more pathetic than a demagogue.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
so whats the deal with the wright guy? i don't watch cable news.

Cliffs: Reverend "Wright" made a pretty outrageous sermon that got played all over the media and a whole bunch of Clinton surrogates breathed a sigh of relief. Otherwise, folks might have paid a bit more attention to those thousands of pages of Schedules and what not that finally were released...

Nice way to sugar coat.

You forgot that Reverent Wright has been preaching this hate of Whites and the US Govt for years. Yet Obama, made placed him on his campaign staff, named him his spiritual leader and moral compass.

If Obama released his schedules as a senator, maybe they would be looking into that instead.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
so whats the deal with the wright guy? i don't watch cable news.

Assuming you're serious, I'd strongly encourage you to google the issue rather than look to a subjective summary you may find here.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: sirjonk
As so many talking heads have already commented, Obama is best if he leaves this subject alone. Having a picture taken with someone or sending a form letter thank you note is not the same as choosing to attend their church services for over 20 years. Obama needs to get his campaign out of the hole it's in, but comparing his relationship with Wright to McCain/Robertson or Clinton/Wright is not only a bad argument, it actually makes him look silly.

I agree. He should let this go.

Well MSNBC doesn't agree apparently, they're now playing in loop a clip from a radio interview with Obama where he addresses the reference to his grandmother in his speech. He says that she wasn't a racist, but was a "typical white person" in that she had concerns about strange black people when walking down the street. So the anti-Obama spin is now going to point to his big speech where he says she said racially insensitive things that made him cringe, and then couple that with an explanation that such behavior is that of a typical white person. And now he is forced to explain his 'typical white person' explanation: http://www.phillymag.com/blogs...-typical-white-person/

It's time to move on, or he's gonna need a bulldozer instead of a shovel.

And his supporters need to STFU as well. I'm seeing this posted lots of places:
"God didn't call America to engage in a senseless, unjust war. . . . And we are criminals in that war. We've committed more war crimes almost than any nation in the world, and I'm going to continue to say it. And we won't stop it because of our pride and our arrogance as a nation. But God has a way of even putting nations in their place...[God will say:] And if you don't stop your reckless course, I'll rise up and break the backbone of your power." - Martin Luther King Jr.

So now they are trying to contextualize Wright as a misunderstood civil rights leader. Obama has run a brilliant campaign thus far, but Wright = MLK? Problematic.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
As so many talking heads have already commented, Obama is best if he leaves this subject alone. Having a picture taken with someone or sending a form letter thank you note is not the same as choosing to attend their church services for over 20 years. Obama needs to get his campaign out of the hole it's in, but comparing his relationship with Wright to McCain/Robertson or Clinton/Wright is not only a bad argument, it actually makes him look silly.

I agree. He should let this go.

Well MSNBC doesn't agree apparently, they're now playing in loop a clip from a radio interview with Obama where he addresses the reference to his grandmother in his speech. He says that she wasn't a racist, but was a "typical white person" in that she had concerns about strange black people when walking down the street. So the anti-Obama spin is now going to point to his big speech where he says she said racially insensitive things that made him cringe, and then couple that with an explanation that such behavior is that of a typical white person. And now he is forced to explain his 'typical white person' explanation: http://www.phillymag.com/blogs...-typical-white-person/

It's time to move on, or he's gonna need a bulldozer instead of a shovel.

And his supporters need to STFU as well. I'm seeing this posted lots of places:
"God didn't call America to engage in a senseless, unjust war. . . . And we are criminals in that war. We've committed more war crimes almost than any nation in the world, and I'm going to continue to say it. And we won't stop it because of our pride and our arrogance as a nation. But God has a way of even putting nations in their place...[God will say:] And if you don't stop your reckless course, I'll rise up and break the backbone of your power." - Martin Luther King Jr.

So now they are trying to contextualize Wright as a misunderstood civil rights leader. Obama has run a brilliant campaign thus far, but Wright = MLK? Problematic.

Stupid statement. Even though it was taken out of context (I think), he needs to STFU.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
It's funny how much Obama's campaign is now embodying the muckraking that the Clinton one did not too long ago.

Change my ass.

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007

Stupid statement. Even though it was taken out of context (I think), he needs to STFU.

I agree.
In addition, they both need to go after Mccain instead of attacking each other. Especially in light of the recent polls suggesting McCain making gains among voters.

Edited to add: this photo is a non issue, IMO.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Blueychan
Deep down inside, all democrats hate America. True story.

Furiously taps sarcasm meter. :confused:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
if Bill Clinton is the moral standard by which we judge everything else, we're in a bad, bad state of affairs.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory
Nice shot of Bill when he was still an energetic, vibrant black man.

ZING :laugh:

Originally posted by: loki8481
if Bill Clinton is the moral standard by which we judge everything else, we're in a bad, bad state of affairs.

No doubt.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
All this consternation about an uppity black, yet not a peep of concern when the McCain campaign _tries_ to get the endorsement of Rev. Hagee, who said that Hurricane Katrina was punishment for N.O. because the city was going to host a gay parade on the day the hurricane hit.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Sacrilege
All this consternation about an uppity black, yet not a peep of concern when the McCain campaign _tries_ to get the endorsement of Rev. Hagee, who said that Hurricane Katrina was punishment for N.O. because the city was going to host a gay parade on the day the hurricane hit.
I don't think you can compare McCain looking for an endorsement to Obama calling Wright his 'moral compass'

By all accounts McCain is very secular and not really loved by the religious right.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
By all accounts McCain is very secular and not really loved by the religious right.

Indeed "pastor-gate" may sink Obama, and McCain has a chance of winning without me (the religious right in your analogy) going out to vote at all.

Edit: Those on the left who said they wish religion was ignored in politics weren't joking, especially now that a pastor may cost them the white house.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
if Bill Clinton is the ORAL standard by which we judge everything else, we're in a bad, bad state of affairs.

fixed? Bad means good right? ;)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: Bird222
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: Pabster
Politico Article On The Subject

Looks like the Clintons were pretty good buddies of the Reverend, at least in 1998...

So the Clintons have known him for 10 years. That's half the time that Obama has sat in the pews in that Church listening to his "moral compass" preach hate and bigotry from the pulpit.

From what I understand, the Clintons invited the Reverand to give counsel at the White House. Don't they do a little background checking before they let people in the White House?

Rev. Wright is going to cost the Dems the White House.

You wish.
Be careful what you say "you wish" for.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
So Bill Clinton took a picture with the guy? If that's all Obama got to deflect this criticism, then he is even more pathetic than a demagogue.

so do 2 wrongs make a wright??

wonkyturk

Jul 25, 2005
I posted the following in another thread:

It appears no one's posted this. There is a link on Youtube to Jeremiah Wright's actual sermon that day. I had searched for it, because I figured it's always best to listen to an entire video and hear the context, but I didn't find it earlier . I have said to others that if there's any lesson we should learn from this election, it is that the media is extremely biased, regardless of which candidate you support (that is whether in favor of or against your candidate). I realized this many years ago, but for many Americans, this realization has not occurred - even at the present.

I think this also supports Obama's claim that he was not at the pews on that day. Had he been there, I would suspect that he would have known the context of the sermon.

Here's the context for you (it was actually a quote from an ambassador, Ambassador Edward Peck, interviewed by FOX news): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...zkeoyQ&feature=related

Shockingly, a CNN reporter did his job:
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/200...ah-wrights-911-sermon/

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Very tacky move by the Obama campaign. What happened to no more politics as usual?

As a practical matter, national politicians probably get their picture taken with 50-100 people a day (my official WAG). A former boss of mine had his picture taken with every Republican President since Nixon (of course, he had the habit of giving them money which doesn't hurt). The picutre alone is absolutely meaningless.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This is idiotic. I HATE the clintons. i think what Bill did (lieing under oath) as Presidant is unforgivable and he should have been kicked out of office.

BUT this is just silly. he invited a group of cleric to a prayer breakfast. Wright is the pastor of one of the largest church's in Cchicago. so of course he is going to be invited. So what he shook hands with him and sent him a form letter.

no fricken deal.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: wonkyturk
I posted the following in another thread:

It appears no one's posted this. There is a link on Youtube to Jeremiah Wright's actual sermon that day. I had searched for it, because I figured it's always best to listen to an entire video and hear the context, but I didn't find it earlier . I have said to others that if there's any lesson we should learn from this election, it is that the media is extremely biased, regardless of which candidate you support (that is whether in favor of or against your candidate). I realized this many years ago, but for many Americans, this realization has not occurred - even at the present.

I think this also supports Obama's claim that he was not at the pews on that day. Had he been there, I would suspect that he would have known the context of the sermon.

Here's the context for you (it was actually a quote from an ambassador, Ambassador Edward Peck, interviewed by FOX news): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...zkeoyQ&feature=related

Shockingly, a CNN reporter did his job:
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/200...ah-wrights-911-sermon/

Shhhhh. Nobody wants to know the Truth;)