Photo studio - Epoxy flooring?

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
I'm looking at installing Epoxy flooring for my basement photo studio. I know that I'll need to shot blast it but are there any recommended products or processes? I don't want high gloss, more of a matte finish.

Any advise is appreciated.

Nov 20, 2009
I would imagine that epoxy would leave a glossy look to it. My entire basement is stained and then covered in an acetate. If I had a photo studio down there I would even do that. I would just go with a neutral gray commercial/industrial paint.

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
I read the article, it's not clear weather or not they are referring to the application or long term effects after it's cured...

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I am an industrial safety and facility guy for a manufacturing company. I find the article that was referenced to be pretty bad. Any effects would only be during the application. For reference my maintenance guys are in the middle of replacing about 14,000 square feet of epoxy flooring. Our application is much different than yours so I don't know if I can really reccommend something for you. I do like Rustoleum products. Just FYI we use a product called Overkote Plus. However it is not for you.

What are you looking for in a floor? Do you want it to be clear or have a color to it? Is it going to have other people walking on it or just you? Why do you need to shot blast it? Are you removing an old flooring product?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I read the article, it's not clear weather or not they are referring to the application or long term effects after it's cured...

It's well known to be an ongoing health threat. Many people are having it removed from their garages and basements. They supposedly have a newer Zero VOC formula but I haven't looked into that.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I am an industrial safety and facility guy for a manufacturing company. I find the article that was referenced to be pretty bad. Any effects would only be during the application. For reference my maintenance guys are in the middle of replacing about 14,000 square feet of epoxy flooring. Our application is much different than yours so I don't know if I can really reccommend something for you. I do like Rustoleum products. Just FYI we use a product called Overkote Plus. However it is not for you.

What are you looking for in a floor? Do you want it to be clear or have a color to it? Is it going to have other people walking on it or just you? Why do you need to shot blast it? Are you removing an old flooring product?

Can you make a floor look like granite or marble with epoxy?

I would imagine that epoxy would leave a glossy look to it. My entire basement is stained and then covered in an acetate. If I had a photo studio down there I would even do that. I would just go with a neutral gray commercial/industrial paint.

How do you like the stain?

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003

Hi, I'd love to have tile but it's just not an option due to the floor drain and the floor tapering to it. Myself and clients will be going into the room, the room is in our basement of our home.

I just want it to look better than a basement floor however not put out an toxic fumes.

As for needing to shot blast, I had put done a sealant years ago and am concerned with it not ad-hearing properly.

It's well known to be an ongoing health threat. Many people are having it removed from their garages and basements. They supposedly have a newer Zero VOC formula but I haven't looked into that.

I have found a product that has no VOC, not sure how reputable this is, still looking into it. http://www.epoxysystems.com/zero_voc.aspx

I just hate that just about everything has some sort of toxic off gassing. :|

Nov 20, 2009
Can you make a floor look like granite or marble with epoxy?

How do you like the stain?
Acid stain, which is done before the epoxy/acetate top coat. The acid is sprayed down onto the concrete directly and allowed to etch into the concrete. Different acids produce different results. Of course by the etching/staining and the top coat can come off over time.