phone line help

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
currently i only have one phone line in my home, and it is in my master bedroom too unfortunately. i would like to add another line to my office but i don't want to pay the $200 for some tech to come out. what do i need to do, and how difficult will it be?

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
You have to run wire to where you want the new line.

Cheaper would be to buy an expandible phone system. You can get them at walmart for $50

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
There's usually 4 wires in the cable. 2 of them are being used by your main line. All you need to do is wire the other 2 wires, and you should be good to go. The main ones usually use black and yellow, and the secondary are usually red and green.

EDIT: that's if you have phone cable running to your office already.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Hold on. He said he wanted another phone line.

If you dont know what you are doing, pay the tech. You will have to pay the phone company to get the new line activated anyways. They may even send a tech as part of the cost.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: shortylickens

If you dont know what you are doing, pay the tech. You will have to pay the phone company to get the new line activated anyways. They may even send a tech as part of the cost.

Yes, and he also has not proven that he's fluent in telephone talk. I know MANY people that say they want a new line run to whatever room, when in fact they only want another drop of an existing line run to the new location. OP, which is it?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Just find where in your house the mainline comes in. SHould be a splitter/junction box type thing. Can just run another cable from there to wherever you want it to be and wire in a wall jack.

Or like someone else said, you can get phones where there's one base unit and 3 or 4 handsets with their own chargers. That way you can put phones wherever you want and still only need the one actual jack that goes into the main base unit.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Originally posted by: shortylickens

Yes, and he also has not proven that he's fluent in telephone talk. I know MANY people that say they want a new line run to whatever room, when in fact they only want another drop of an existing line run to the new location. OP, which is it?

i want to run an existing line that only runs to my bedroom and have it split to run to my office.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
... okay... you gotta speak the terms if you want the help.

A phone LINE is the hardware that is connected to a phone number. Call a line, the phones connected to that line ring. More than one line = more than one phone number. You can have one phone conversation per line.

A PHONE is simply the piece of equipment that you talk on... if you call it a line, it will ring. If there are different phones connected to the same line, they will all ring.

Now... are you just wanting another phone so you don't have to walk to the bedroom to answer it, or do want a seperate phone number for your office?

If you want another phone... there are many multi-handset phones, where you have one base station and the others connect wirelessly. You just have chargers for all of them and can put them in whatever room you want. (Easiest and affordable choice)

If you want another line, you'll need the tech anyway. Get it done right and save yourself the frustration.