phone interview

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
so i applied for an internship with a big company a few months ago, not really thinking anything of it. well, low-and-behold, i get an email the other day asking to schedule two 1-hour long phone interviews. I've never had a phone interview before and don't know how to go about it. Does anyone have some good tips/links?

if it helps, the internship is for an IT Field Position for the summer of 08. I will have to relocate to NYC. Maybe you guys can help me think of some questions to ask (i.e. where will i be staying, how much will i get compensated, travel expense,etc.) I need to know some polite ways to ask. I'm pretty sure a lot gets compensated for since the company is massive, but I'm not sure since it is just an internship.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I wouldn't bring up money til they do, and at the very minimum do it at the in-person interview or after you receive your offer. Ask about any aspects of the job, makes you sound interested.

I always do the "I'll think about it" on the compensation, think of a good reason to get more, then get it. Worked for me :)

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
My brother had a cheat sheet for these phone interviews. Not saying he was a bad candidate for the job or anything, he was honestly what every company was looking for. The phone interview is what got him every time though. After a couple, he wrote down the questions they asked and the answers he used, reviewed them, and told them something completely different and ended up nailing the first phone interview thereafter. He was offered, I think, 4-5 jobs after that.

This cheat sheet had every question they'd ask you. Seriously, they all ask basically the same questions.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Well for starters, are these interviews with HR people or with people in the department you'd be working in?

Are you sure they'd be providing lodging?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
If they like you, all your concerns are already planned for. Worry about being liked rather than what will happen.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
tweak: good idea
rezinn: check
dlock: copy of said cheat sheet?
mugs: no idea. i just got an email asking to schedule the interviews and fill out some eligibility papers. not sure if they provide lodging, but i would be surprised if they didn't compensate for it somehow, we're talking about a huge company here.
SSSnail: good point

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Journer
tweak: good idea
rezinn: check
dlock: copy of said cheat sheet?
mugs: no idea. i just got an email asking to schedule the interviews and fill out some eligibility papers. not sure if they provide lodging, but i would be surprised if they didn't compensate for it somehow, we're talking about a huge company here.
SSSnail: good point
I would love to send it to you, but my brother has it with him down in Dallas. He took it with him once he got the job down there.

Sorry. :( I will try and get a hold of him, but at the moment, he is in Denver on a work related trip.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Cheat sheet, comfortable environment, no distractions, and most importantly: make sure not to ramble. It is SO easy to get rambling while answering interview questions over the phone.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
No matter how good you think you are we know when you are googling or talking to a friend.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Listen carefully to the question being asked. Answer the question being asked.

Also, if they ask you about a specific experience you haven't had, tell them you haven't done that particular thing but you did do this other thing and that you would certainly welcome the challenge of trying their thing.

As an intern you're not expected to have been there/done that but enthusiasm goes a very long way.