Phoenix Threatened by Riots

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Do you people soil yourself when you see people that don't look like you?

What does that have to do with it?

As far as I can tell that remark is nothing but a back handed attempt at calling people who are against illegal immigration rascist.

Speeding is illegal, I do it all the time. I equate illegal immigration to speeding. You people equate illegal immigration to murder, theft, and sodomy. The question is not how much you hate the illegality of the act but of how highly you rate the illegality.

And sure, you can continue soiling yourselves because a fellow human being wants a decent life, I won't call you racist. I promise :)

Please STFU. . .nobody here equated illegal immigration with murder, theft, or sodomy. It's real simple. You do the crime and get caught, you pay the consequence. If your crime is speeding, you get a ticket and the punishment is you pay a fine and maybe get points on your license. If your crime is having knowingly and illegally snuck into a sovereign nation, the punishment is you get deported. (At least if you are lucky enough to have been caught in America. Some other places in the world they'd probably just execute you.) I don't think anybody in this thread so far used any of the words "murder," "theft," or "sodomy" until you did. So please stop attributing statements to people that they never said.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

As far as I can tell that remark is nothing but a back handed attempt at calling people who are against illegal immigration rascist.

Speeding is illegal, I do it all the time. I equate illegal immigration to speeding. You people equate illegal immigration to murder, theft, and sodomy. The question is not how much you hate the illegality of the act but of how highly you rate the illegality.

And sure, you can continue soiling yourselves because a fellow human being wants a decent life, I won't call you racist. I promise :)

Your not a judge so it doesn't mean a hill of beans if you think illegal immigration is the same as speeding. If you want to get smart ass about it then I think we should treat the illegal immigrants the same as their country of origin treats it's illegal immigrants. How highly does Mexico rate that illegalality?

Now argue with that one. :p

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ahurtt

Please STFU. . .nobody here equated illegal immigration with murder, theft, or sodomy.

really? Didn't nitemare do that? Maybe you should stop speaking for others .

EZduzit, besides the fact I have no idea how mexico rates illegal immigration, how is it relevant when you are talking about US laws? Your response was stupid, I demand an apology for having read it.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Please STFU. . .nobody here equated illegal immigration with murder, theft, or sodomy.

really? Didn't nitemare do that? Maybe you should stop speaking for others dipshit.

EZduzit, besides the fact I have no idea how mexico rates illegal immigration, how is it relevant when you are talking about US laws? Your response was stupid, I demand an apology for having read it.

Demand in one hand and then shit in the other. See which one gets full the quickest.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003

really? Didn't nitemare do that? Maybe you should stop speaking for others dipshit.

Demand in one hand and then shit in the other. See which one gets full the quickest.

I think people with poor hygiene need to be deported. Have fun in western europe with your fellow unwashed masses.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

I think people with poor hygiene need to be deported. Have fun in western europe with your fellow unwashed masses.

I think insults will get you no where.

You've got some nerve trying to imply people as racist because they're against illegal immigration and then turn around and demand an apology from me because you don't have a case to argue. LOL, your in a tough spot you want the very same people your trying to infer are racisit to feel sorry/take pity for your case. That's why I broght up how Mexico treats it's illegals.

Mexico asks U.S. to do as it says, not as it does

An Associated Press story on the front page of Wednesday's Star contained an eye-popping account of Mexico's mistreatment of illegal immigrants from Central America. The story said that illegal entrants are considered felons in Mexico and many are routinely robbed, beaten or raped by police or the military. Some are shot to death.
The story was all the more shocking because it revealed horrendous human-rights abuses in a nation that has recently been a harsh critic of U.S. immigration policies.
The story seemed to be a classic case of Mexico saying to the U.S., "Do as I say, not as I do."
While many Mexicans vociferously denounce the criminalization of Mexicans living illegally in the United States, Mexico itself classifies those who enter its borders illegally as felons subject to deportation or two years in prison.
In fact, illegal immigrants in Mexico are treated so poorly that it's hardly any wonder that Central Americans try to get out of Mexico and into the United States as quickly as possible. At least if they're caught here there's much less of a chance they'll be robbed, raped, beaten or killed.
On Monday, for example, Mexican Interior Secretary Carlos Abascal declared that, "Mexico is a country with a clear, defined and generous policy toward migrants." Yet the facts indicate that such statements are hollow. Mexico, with a population of 105 million, has legalized only 15,000 immigrants in the past five years, and many undocumented migrants who are detained are deported, the AP reported.

Mexico treats illegal immigrants in its midst harshly

As thousands - perhaps millions - of Latinos prepare for the latest grand-scale demonstration aimed at expanding the rights of illegal immigrants in the United States, some of their critics are finding the whole situation a bit ironic.
After all, if a group of illegal immigrants living south of the border took to the streets in a similar protest, they'd be breaking Mexican law. There, the constitution bars noncitizens from participating in any public political demonstration.

In fact, Mexican law contains several provisions that are notably tough on illegal immigration.

Mexico's constitution and its General Population Act - its main law addressing immigration - include some of the very elements that protesters in the United States are fighting to defeat before they become law in this country.

Those include provisions that make it a felony to be an illegal immigrant and allow for local police to aid immigration authorities in making arrests.

Authorities apprehended more than 240,000 illegal immigrants in 2005, a significant jump from the 138,000 detained in 2002. Nearly all were deported - more than 235,000 in 2005, figures from the government's National Institute of Migration show.

For most of the illegal immigrants who cross Mexico's southern border, deportation or other legal penalties are the least of their worries.

Migrants routinely face rape, robbery and assault. Corrupt police and soldiers are known to abuse them and take their money.

"Mexico has a deplorable record of human-rights violations on its southern border," Tinker Salas said. "That is well documented."

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Again, what is your point? What does any body care about mexican law, nobody wants to live there for a reason. You realize whatever your posting is entirely irrelevant?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Again, what is your point? What does any body care about mexican law, nobody wants to live there for a reason. You realize whatever your posting is entirely irrelevant?

What's your point, that you don't understand the word illegal?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

LOL, again, your not the judge are you? If you think I don't have a point then you are either an idiot or are being intentionally obtuse. This country id for the benifit of it's LEGAL citizens, not just any yahoo who decides he wants to live here. We have legal ways of coming here, they need to use them. If they dont' qualify then that's too bad. they should expect to be treated as they would treat illegals in their own country and quit whining like a bucnh of little babies.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
I used to be fairly ambivalent about the illegals pouring into my state (Arizona). They provide a lot of cheap labor, I really couldn't blame them for coming, and I'm an "immigration-makes-America-great" kinda guy. But some things changed... security issues, the increasingly heavy burden the human flood brings to our services, and the "general attitude" I've witnessed.

Border security and the strain illegals put on our infrastructure here in AZ can be debated, but let me elaborate on the general attitude aspect I mentioned. I have a lot of experience with Hispanic culture and illegal aliens in particular here in the Phoenix area. Over the 5-10 years I have noticed a significant shift in the "personality" of the people I deal with almost daily. I attribute this change to the sheer number of Hispanic/Illegals, meaning the more there are the safer they feel and the more "assertive" they become.

There are things I encounter everyday now that didn't register at all when I first started teaching and I find it a little disturbing. Today I'll get sketchy assignments like maps that show Mexico's borders including the area of California, Arizona, New Mexico, etc with "Reconquista" written above it. I have to deal with students disparaging the US, not standing for the Pledge, continuously speaking Spanish in class, etc... stuff that wasn't an issue not that long ago. There's an arrogance and sense of entitlement that I'm not used to. All of this is fairly passive and subtle, yet widespread and I sense it's a powerful part of the emerging culture. I'm not about to say it's a well-planned conspiracy... but my experience tells me there is a generally unspoken concept of "it's their land" and the following refusal to accept traditional American ideals and culture.

Border security and tax drain are issues, but I think it's this change of "general attitude" that is the tipping point for a lot of people around here, even for those that are fairly sympathetic to the illegals. (and general anger because of pro-illegal forces constantly race-baiting the issue and implying racism to those who want stricter controls). That's what I'm seeing... and I think it's a part of the "backlash" against illegal immigration we're seeing in Arizona. It really is coming to a head and the numbers are there- mob violence is a real possibility, from both sides. Hopefully it won't come to that, but somethings gotta give.

It's kind of ironic that a social superpower that is often accused of cultural imperialism has this sort of issue or "threat" to itself.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
they should expect to be treated as they would treat illegals in their own country and quit whining like a bucnh of little babies.

Why? How do you come to this conclusion?

I'd rather have an intelligent illegal person in this country rather than somebody like yourself.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
The issue is should the local government enforce the laws of the Federal government.

Some liberals and their related courts feel that they should not do so.

Well, a good case can be made that Local Police being used for INS Duties just forces Illegals further underground and potentially increases violence. If the amount of Illegals was small, then local Police could be involved without much concerned, but when you are talking millions you are risking such a degree of distrust of Local Authority that Illegals may become a serious threat for the proper function of Local Authority.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
They should start with food prep workers. How many times have TB-infected food worker
immigrants from Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, etc. "silently" passed on their TB germs to legal U.S. citizens,
that simply stopped at a McDonald's/Denny's/Burger King/Taco Bell for lunch?

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: vailr
How many times have TB-infected food worker
immigrants from Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, etc. "silently" passed on their TB germs to legal U.S. citizens,

What's the answer? Too much Lou Dobbs :)?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: vailr
They should start with food prep workers. How many times have TB-infected food worker

Probably no more or only a little more than US Citizens passing it on.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor
http://www.azcentral.com/arizo.../1214townhall1214.html

"Don't let Phoenix become the next Watts, the next LA riots," Alex Navidad, an immigration lawyer, said in an impassioned plea to the panel.

:roll: Kill 'em in the streets if they want to riot. They're foreign invaders.

They come here to take control over our land, and it's working in the regions most heavily impacted. This is as solid a threat to us as any act of war, and should be responded to as such.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I lived in Tucson and spent plenty of time in Phoenix. Everyone knows exactly where all the illegals are in these towns. Its blatantly obvious when you can drive into a part of town and there are hundreds of guys lining the streets waiting for someone to pick them up to work. Now that i live in NV I see the exact same thing and have found their exact same communities. Their houses are obvious and they live all together in the same community. There always is crime in the area yet the police don't go there because they either don't speak the language or they just don't want to deal with the vast number of illegals they would have to process. There would be no way of rounding the sheer number of them between Tucson and Phoenix and throughout the rest of the country without some major riot/war.

Wouldn't be a war. They're unarmed.

really...hmmmmm

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski
The issue is should the local government enforce the laws of the Federal government.

Well, a good case can be made that Local Police being used for FBI Duties just forces murderers further underground and potentially increases violence. If the amount of murderers was small, then local Police could be involved without much concerned, but when you are talking millions you are risking such a degree of distrust of Local Authority that murderers may become a serious threat for the proper function of Local Authority.

Edited to make a point.

Never make your decisions based on what criminals will think about it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

Well, a good case can be made that Local Police being used for FBI Duties just forces murderers further underground and potentially increases violence. If the amount of murderers was small, then local Police could be involved without much concerned, but when you are talking millions you are risking such a degree of distrust of Local Authority that murderers may become a serious threat for the proper function of Local Authority.

Edited to make a point.

Never make your decisions based on what criminals will think about it.

Point lost. The amount of murderers is small already for one thing, but more importantly 99 44/100% of Illegals are only Criminal for the fact that they are in the Country Illegally. Murder, Thievery, and other Criminal Acts are never committed by them.

PS: Bold your Edits in the future. It's just good form ;)

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
they should expect to be treated as they would treat illegals in their own country and quit whining like a bucnh of little babies.

I'd rather have an intelligent illegal person in this country rather than somebody like yourself.

I'd rather have an intelligent, educated, English speaking, LEGAL immigrant then somebody like yourself. :p

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003

I'd rather have an intelligent, educated, English speaking, LEGAL immigrant then somebody like yourself. :p

Well, what will you do when stupidity is declared illegal?

What if what they did was not illegal? What if people could freely just move to the U.S without restriction? I wonder if you'd still have a problem with mexicans and others.

The focus on the "illegal" aspect of this is disingenuous. You are judging the crime's severity and I'm saying the crime is not too severe.

Rustler

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
I live in Phoenix and all this amounts to is a ploy by some of the racist elements in the hispanic community to keep hold on what money they have coming in by using these people to pad their pockets by using them as slave labor. The reason wages are low is the fact that we allow illegal immigration so we can depress wages. When you have companies that will hire illegals for less money and still charge rates for their services their profit margin goes up.

Also they are trying to put lawful and tax paying business out of business by protesting them. The reason they are protesting is that illegal day laborers were up and down the street in front of their business and driving their prospective customers off. The City of Phoenix has condoned this practice.

In fact the last two Police officers killed in the line of duty were murdered by illegal immigants.

Remember when they come here illegally they have allready commited a crime, and then there is identity theft so they can stay in the country.

Those illegals that work in restraunts have not been checked for diseases that they may pass on to others.

There is a strain on the system when they need medical care.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Well, what will you do when stupidity is declared illegal?

Turn you in? :lips:
What if what they did was not illegal? What if people could freely just move to the U.S without restriction? I wonder if you'd still have a problem with mexicans and others.

Exactly right. When I can move to Mexico and have the same rights as I have here then it's a whole deifferent scenario. That's not the way it is and letting Mexicans move to the US unfettered isn't going to change that either, so your point is??
The focus on the "illegal" aspect of this is disingenuous. You are judging the crime's severity and I'm saying the crime is not too severe.

It's not just the FACT that what they're doing is illegal although that's all the reason one needs to be against it. They drive down the legal residents wages, place additional burdens on the taxpayers, and send their money back to Mexico, where they will have the option to go when they retire and they will be able to retire on a lot less money then I can.

I notice most of these people don't seem to care if they get to be American citizens. Why is that?

If you don't come up wih a valid argument I'm done wasting my time discussing this with you. I don't owe the illegal people anything because I didn't invite them here, so if they're here illegally then they need to quit their whining and demonstrating for rights that they don't have in this country. As far as I'm concerned, their squatters and need to be kicked out. Too bad, so sad, but that's the way it is.