Phishing pop up. Should I reinstall Windows 7?

mrcultureshock

Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

I was accessing my credit card account yesterday on my home PC and saw a strange pop-up asking me to enter all the important information (DOB, SSN, ATM # etc) because it was a security measure. This immediately looked suspicious so I changed all my important passwords on my Mac laptop.

When this was happening, I saw process in Task Manager called "obiqul.exe" with a name of "Liar Nickel Cod". I then did a full system scan using Avast free edition and today I scanned by PC again with Superantispyware. These programs only found some cookies. I deleted "obiqul.exe" which was in my user forum and went through the registry and deleted everything that's related to it. Then I did a system scan again and the result was clean.

AFAIK, my PC is running fine. There are haven't been any strange popups since and I haven't seen any weird processes. But do you all think I should still reinstall Windows just to be safe?

Thanks!

Nick

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The one thing is, once you get a virus on the system, you can never be sure you've removed it entirely (because software can hook the kernel and hide itself, rootkit style), short of plugging that drive in as a slave to another system and scanning it offline. Microsoft has an offline system scanner you might want to check out.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

If reinstalling isn't a big deal for you, then go ahead, its the best way to ensure you're system is clean. But running an offline scan that doesn't find anything should be adequate for most typical cases.