Philly vet on the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
I am just wondering if we are doing enough deprogramming of vets when they come back from overseas?

I can see why sometimes in many cultures there are ceremonies of people when they come back home.
Having a ceremony helps in the deprogramming so the vet can let go.

Sure the mind knows they are not in the military anymore but the training and reflexes are still there. Couple that along with some PTSD and you have a potent mix of issues.

If it is true what is said about the Israeli IDF troops when they say their troops do not ever get PTSD then perhaps our military could learn from the IDF.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am just wondering if we are doing enough deprogramming of vets when they come back from overseas?

I can see why sometimes in many cultures there are ceremonies of people when they come back home.
Having a ceremony helps in the deprogramming so the vet can let go.

Sure the mind knows they are not in the military anymore but the training and reflexes are still there. Couple that along with some PTSD and you have a potent mix of issues.

If it is true what is said about the Israeli IDF troops when they say their troops do not ever get PTSD then perhaps our military could learn from the IDF.

That's extremely unlikely to be true.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-treats-hundreds-of-soldiers-for-ptsd-like-symptoms-post-gaza/

EDIT: Being a vet myself and having worked in programs designed to help returning veterans you generally run into a several problems.

First, people in the US who join the military are generally not the cream of the crop to begin with. If you are enlisting it is often because of lack of other opportunities. That's fine while you're in the military, but when you get out a lot of those same issues (lack of education, lack of connections, coming from a bad environment) can crop back up.

Second, yes, PTSD. Services are available but there's a stigma around it. Also, it's not always obvious if someone is suffering from it or not. This is true for both friends and family of the victim and the victim themselves.

Last edited:

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
That's extremely unlikely to be true.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-treats-hundreds-of-soldiers-for-ptsd-like-symptoms-post-gaza/

EDIT: Being a vet myself and having worked in programs designed to help returning veterans you generally run into a several problems.

First, people in the US who join the military are generally not the cream of the crop to begin with. If you are enlisting it is often because of lack of other opportunities. That's fine while you're in the military, but when you get out a lot of those same issues (lack of education, lack of connections, coming from a bad environment) can crop back up.

Second, yes, PTSD. Services are available but there's a stigma around it. Also, it's not always obvious if someone is suffering from it or not. This is true for both friends and family of the victim and the victim themselves.

Thank you for helping the troops when they come home!

I will try and find that video on youtube. It was an official IDF youtube channel video that I watched. I think the IDF has 2 IDF pages on youtube.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
It's probably a social thing for the Israeli troops. They are still humans, they can still get PTSD. It's probably just seem as being "womanly" if you get it.

Kind of like I read recently a Japanese survivor of the Titanic was shamed back home after because he did not die and go down with the ship.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's probably a social thing for the Israeli troops. They are still humans, they can still get PTSD. It's probably just seem as being "womanly" if you get it.

Kind of like I read recently a Japanese survivor of the Titanic was shamed back home after because he did not die and go down with the ship.

If you read my news link it looks like lots of IDF members get PTSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.