* Experience Intense Color and Amazing Visual Detail
* LCD Flat Panel Television
* Displays Resolutions up to 1080p
* High Definition with Built-In HDTV/ATSC Tuner
* NTSC/ATSC Built-In
* Video Features: 3D Y/C Comb Filter for a Distortion-Free Picture
* Audio Features: Dolby Digital Surround Sound
* Inputs: USB Input for MP3/JPEG Playback, 3 HDMI Inputs
* Outputs: Digital Audio (PCM/Dolby Digital)
* On-Screen Pixel Plus HD for Better Details, Depth & Clarity
* 16:9 Widescreen Aspect Ratio
* 1920x1080 Resolution
* Contrast Ratio: 3000:1
* 8ms Response Time
* 2 Speakers Bottom Fixed Speakers
* Operational Features: On-Screen Clock, Sleep Timer, ATSC/QAM Tuners for HDTV Broadcasts, Auto Sound, Parental Controls
* Operational Modes: 500 CD/M2 Brightness
* Viewing Angles: 176 x 176
* TV Mount Features: Can Be Wall Mounted
* Accessories Included: User Manual, Table Stand, 2 AAA Batteries, Power Cord, Remote Control
* 1 Year Warranty on Parts
* 40.7" x 26.2" x 3.5"
* 57.2 lbs.

I saw this in person in the store tonight, just browsing while the wife shopped, but the price seemed pretty good. Hard to tell from in store displays but the bezel is attractive and the picture was pretty good. Looks like some negative reviews on that site though.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I HATE BANK OF AMERICA. I was about to buy this TV, but both my credit card and debit card were rejected. 10 minutes later I got a call from BOA asking me to confirm the charges. Uhh.. how does that make sense? It was already rejected by the system at Target.

I don't understand why BOA thinks a $870 charge or debit is suspicious. That would mean every time someone spends that amount, they reject it, forcing the person to either call them or leave the store and miss a hot deal?

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
word of caution, Philips is exiting USA market - this is just act of cleaning the inventory.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
About 21 months ago I purchased a 32" lcd for an unbelievable price. Six months after initial purchase the company was sued into bankruptcy because of patent infringments. Now my tv is having minor issues and even if it was still under warranty, the parts would have been impossible to find. Luckily I used my AMEX and they are probably going to refund most of my purchase price.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
had the older model of this tv...crapped out, but i was able to "fix" it because i installed a firmware update on it via usb.

otherwise its a good tv!

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
These constantly go on sale at Microcenter (atleast a similiar one does)...and they never sell out...I did look at one when they had a $779 sale month or two back, it looked pretty good for the price. Didn't bite...I still like the Samsungs better, but ofcourse they cost more.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
I HATE BANK OF AMERICA. I was about to buy this TV, but both my credit card and debit card were rejected. 10 minutes later I got a call from BOA asking me to confirm the charges. Uhh.. how does that make sense? It was already rejected by the system at Target.

I don't understand why BOA thinks a $870 charge or debit is suspicious. That would mean every time someone spends that amount, they reject it, forcing the person to either call them or leave the store and miss a hot deal?

Was it your first big purchase on that card? I had that happen to me before...

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
word of caution, Philips is exiting USA market - this is just act of cleaning the inventory.

Wow. Is that really a bad thing?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04...ies/Sony%20Corporation

So are these TVs actual Philips? From that article, it seems that they're as good as Samsung, but without the brand recognition

They are not bad....they are just middle of the road. They sold TV's at name brand prices....but they could not compete with the name brands (they just blew then out of the water in terms of performance and they did not have the marketing power)....they tried to compete with the lower end, but they ended up being the premium version of the lower end. You either have people that are willing to pay top dollar, or just willing to pay lowest price possible in the TV market. There is no value market. This is really true now since budget TVs are no longer budget prices.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Insomniator
Isn't Phillips the same as Magnavox? Magnavox was awesome back in the day.
Yeah...basically. But only a few companies manufacture the parts that go into their displays. So, you may end up with a great display and a bad tuner or a great tuner and a bad display. There are enough differences in quality, you really need to research before sinking even $750 into a TV.

You can expect prices to drop a lot more in the next year. They've come down an average of $200 or more since last year. You should be able to get a 42" for $500 in another year or two after competition gets a little stiffer. The price-fixing that LG and others got busted will allow a lot of new companies to enter the market and help drive the prices down....especially with the economy going south. You should be able to pick up a similar Samsung, LG, or Sony next year for this price or less. They've already priced the 720p screens at this pricepoint....just give em time.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

I think philips bought them then Maganvox became the value line. For some reason, that value line only showed up in certain electronics (vcr's, dvd players, older tube TVs)....then they eventually stopped badging them under that name.

The Master

Feb 4, 2000
I have used this tv as a htpc hdtv monitor.. works decently via DVI cable including ability to transmit sound.. the speakers kind of crackle bad if you knock the sound up and there's supposed to subwoofer sound.. in addition it requires a reset of the monitor every time I reboot which is kind of annoying otherwise you get the awful colors..

In comparison to my new monitor which is nice.. Samsung.. I can't even use the dvi portion at all I can't awful colors with no way to fine tune them.. but it helps that it has a vga port unlike this one.. :(

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Yep. My mother still has a Magnavox 25" TV going on about 20 years now and she still watches it around 10 hours a day. I have an old 27" Philips TV that is going on 15 years and I only stopped using it about 6 months ago and only because I went HDTV. Man, Ive had Philips/Magnavox products all my 40 somwhat years of life. Bummer they stopped US transaction. My first cd player I bought back in 1983 was Philips, of course they invented it but that player lasted 10 years before I went 5-disc carousel. :)