Philippines: U.S. missed 9/11 clues years ago

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
MANILA, Philippines (CNN) ? CNN has obtained documents showing a Philippine police report about the terrorist plot of September 11, 2001 that was given to the FBI in 1995 and the U.S. agency's summary document of the report, which left out any mention of the plot.

Text

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
I think the whole world now knows our CIA and FBI are far less reliable than we arrogantly think they are. And by continually regurgitating this crap, we give those agencies the wiggle room they can use to excuse themselves. And with Bush creating this homeland agency that "consolidates" everything, their ability to hide faults becomes easier with the cabinet level leader having direct access to the President, with no accountability to congress. In 2004, with a Dem in the White House, that will be seriously looked at.

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
I think the whole world now knows our CIA and FBI are far less reliable than we arrogantly think they are. And by continually regurgitating this crap, we give those agencies the wiggle room they can use to excuse themselves. And with Bush creating this homeland agency that "consolidates" everything, their ability to hide faults becomes easier with the cabinet level leader having direct access to the President, with no accountability to congress. In 2004, with a Dem in the White House, that will be seriously looked at.

The article was posted today on CNN.

And the Dem who was in the White House when this failure occured sure looked seriously at the evidence provided :confused:

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Because the Filipino security services are so effective -- they missed the planning for a coup attempt right under their noses. Brilliant! Certainly, let's trust them.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I've got to take the side of the Intelligence Agencies on this. They do gather a tremendous volume of data,
but they then fall into the burecratic trap of financing and political oversight with an agenda.

When they are fully funded and left alone they get valid data, sure there are bad leads and missed steps
but the overwhelming amount of data they process and the good information is worth it.
Of course counter-spy operations and moles function, but overall they do perform.

However when a political agenda comes calling holding a trump card of budgetary constraints
and financial purse strings as an incentive to make certain preconceived assumptions it fails.

Data that is valid stands on its own under scrutiny. False prophets fall like a house of cards.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
CNN gets this year's award for "Best Recycling of Old News as New News."

The Project Bojoinka thing, or whatever it was called, has been reported to death since about 1998. Usually, they fail to mention one critical point about the information gathered from the raid of Ramzi Yousef's Manila safe house and other investigations:

- The proposed plot to hijack airliners then crash them into US targets specifically proposed hijacking US bound airliners in foreign countries then flying into US airspace, which is consistent with statements after 9/11 by NORAD, FAA, and other civil defense officials who said they were told by intelligence and security agencies that the threat was to US bound foreign flights, not to domestic flights.

- The proposed plot to blow-up airliners was, again, not a threat to domestic flights but US carriers operating in other countries.

The information wasn't "ignored". It was not information which admitted of threats to domestic flights.

Brie

May 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo
I bet the Dems are frothing at mouth about now.

Why?

I?m glad that we are going back to try and find our mistakes lest we repeat them again. Putting all of this digging on the national news is unnecessary...I don?t care whose fault it was. We cant fix the past!

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
I bet the Dems are frothing at mouth about now.

Why? It was reported on their watch and they chose to do nothing? In all honesty and fairness, there is a HUGE number of threats and rumors and only so many agents that can check up on them

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Tripleshot

One can only hope.