Philadelphia Eagles Article in Charlotte Observer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Chumpman
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
This article doesn't tell us anything we don't know... Philly fans are diehard, and are the craziest fans in the NFL with arguably Raider fans. The Philly.com article had many people warn Panthers fans not to come to the game, and they did, and now Panther fans recant their experience as if they've seen a UFO. OMG, OMG, Philly fans were SO MEAN TO ME! I'VE NEVER BEEN TREATED WITH SUCH DISRESPECT IN MY LIFE!!!! Oh the HORROR!

Reality check for all of you who thought this was unbelievable behavior: my g/f is a teacher in center city, and over 2/3's of her kids are under the poverty level. She has to buy some of her kids school supplies b/c they can't afford their own and their parents don't give a sht. Half of Philly is under the poverty level (Philly is in the top 5 in population in the US), so add beer and football and a reason to act the fool... well I'm sure you get it by now.

then why the hell are they wasting hundreds of dollars on tickets to an NFL game?

Why can a poor man not afford to clothe and feed their children, yet always have money for beer, smokes and lottery tickets? It's called stupidity

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
does anyone know what goes on in the dog pound at the browns stadium?

how bout when they tore off the benches and threw them onto the field.

to say that what happened in philly is isolated in ANY way is VERY much an understatement

MIKE

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior
This article doesn't tell us anything we don't know... Philly fans are diehard, and are the craziest fans in the NFL with arguably Raider fans. The Philly.com article had many people warn Panthers fans not to come to the game, and they did, and now Panther fans recant their experience as if they've seen a UFO. OMG, OMG, Philly fans were SO MEAN TO ME! I'VE NEVER BEEN TREATED WITH SUCH DISRESPECT IN MY LIFE!!!! Oh the HORROR!

Reality check for all of you who thought this was unbelievable behavior: my g/f is a teacher in center city, and over 2/3's of her kids are under the poverty level. She has to buy some of her kids school supplies b/c they can't afford their own and their parents don't give a sht. Half of Philly is under the poverty level (Philly is in the top 5 in population in the US), so add beer and football and a reason to act the fool... well I'm sure you get it by now.

Oh and reality check: the poverty stricken people of Philly have nothing to do with dumbsh!t fans.

Please come to South Philly sometime, I'll show you around, cheesesteak is on me.

The two are definitely related... The other day g/f told me that about 8 blocks from her house, a group (gang?) of 11 juveniles were jumping anyone that walked by, and pummelling them with boxing gloves until they couldn't fight back anymore and then robbed them and thought it was "fun". They did this to about 3 different people in a week, one was an elderly woman. Hell, I should just email you the blotter for South Philly, for any given month it would probably blow your mind.

You don't want to be walking around at night in Philly unless you're in the nicer sections (like Olde City) which are few and far between. To summarize, crime is synonomous with poverty; and an argument can be made that the Linc, while not in the worst part of the city, is in the perfect location to accomodate impoverished fans (700 lvl comes to mind).

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Oh and reality check: the poverty stricken people of Philly have nothing to do with dumbsh!t fans.

Please come to South Philly sometime, I'll show you around, cheesesteak is on me.

The two are definitely related... The other day g/f told me that about 8 blocks from her house, a group (gang?) of 11 juveniles were jumping anyone that walked by, and pummelling them with boxing gloves until they couldn't fight back anymore and then robbed them and thought it was "fun". They did this to about 3 different people in a week, one was an elderly woman. Hell, I should just email you the blotter for South Philly, for any given month it would probably blow your mind.

You don't want to be walking around at night in Philly unless you're in the nicer sections (like Olde City) which are few and far between. To summarize, crime is synonomous with poverty; and an argument can be made that the Linc, while not in the worst part of the city, is in the perfect location to accomodate impoverished fans (700 lvl comes to mind).

Where was the police during all this?

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
does anyone know what goes on in the dog pound at the browns stadium?

how bout when they tore off the benches and threw them onto the field.

to say that what happened in philly is isolated in ANY way is VERY much an understatement

MIKE

I don't think anyone is saying it's isolated, it's just far more prevelant than ANYWHERE else.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Chumpman

then why the hell are they wasting hundreds of dollars on tickets to an NFL game?

Why can a poor man not afford to clothe and feed their children, yet always have money for beer, smokes and lottery tickets? It's called stupidity
Yup, it's the epitomy of many Philly families... g/f says many 8th graders she teaches, their parents are addicted to crack and won't give their kids money for pens, pencils, notebooks, calculators, backpacks, among other things. Some kids get beaten by their parents. 2 others are in gangs, and have hung up posters in school threatening to kill other students who have killed a member of their gang last summer. They actually have a special unit in the district that deals with gangs, and they had to call them in to analyze the posters. They also have a cop patrolling the hallways at all times, some crazy girl brought a box cutter to school last year, pulled it on another girl she wanted to kill. Another kid stole money right out of his teacher's desk. It's all quite depressing...

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Where was the police during all this?
No clue, it's probably hard to catch a group of kids that scatters and runs away in all different directions when they know they could be arrested. I think they caught a couple of the punks, and got them to identify the rest.

EDIT:

Last year, 28 people age 17 and under were slain in Philadelphia, said Shirley Boggs, of Mothers United Through Tragedy.
Also from the article: "The goal, officials said, is not only to combat youth violence at the 27 city schools identified by the state this past summer as "persistently dangerous," but also to stem violence in communities.

School violence and community violence are intertwined, said Sandra Dungee Glenn, a member of the Philadelphia School Reform Commission.

'What's going on in schools is a reflection of what's going on in our neighborhoods.'"

Two nights ago, pizza delivery man's brains blown out for his money in NE Philly.

I think that best sums it up.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
According to this argument fans at the Yankee stadium should be the worst in the world. I mean come'n, it's in the Bronx of all places. Going to the yankee stadium as an opposing fan should be suicide. Yet, I've seen many people go there, even during playoffs. Unless you sit in the bleachers you'll be alright. As the matter of fact, the other day this lady, an Oriole fan, was harassing us yankee fans. She kept screaming obsenities and "Yankees Suck" the whole game. A few people yelled back at her, yet she walked out of the stadium alive and untouched. So I'm not buying the "poverty" excuse.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: GrumpyMan
Shouldn't they have been throwing beer at the team and not the Panther fans? Morons.

They were probably trying to throw the beers that far, but they can only throw as well as the quarterback, so naturally they fell short.

ZING!!! - It's funny cause it's true :)

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Come on...it's the freaking ghetto. What do you expect? Same thing happens in Norristown, you just don't hear about it because they don't have a stadium. You get the same in any run down part of a big city.

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000

impoverished fans? nope. most of the people that sit in the 700 level are season ticket holders, I know quite a few and I work with quite a few as well. season tickets are not cheap, these people are not spending their welfare checks on this luxury... Are they the classiest people in Philly? no, alot of them are not, but they are definitely not the bottom of the barrel income wise in Philly.. a lot are blue collar, service industry folks with mortgages and SUVs.. sophisticates they are not, but nor are they welfare moms and deadbeat dads. ignorant and obnoxious? yes, they start tailgating (drinking like fish) at 7 in the morning whether the game starts at 1pm or 8pm. by the time the game starts they've been drunk and sober several times over and they get off on being "philly fans"....

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Argo
According to this argument fans at the Yankee stadium should be the worst in the world. I mean come'n, it's in the Bronx of all places. Going to the yankee stadium as an opposing fan should be suicide. Yet, I've seen many people go there, even during playoffs. Unless you sit in the bleachers you'll be alright. As the matter of fact, the other day this lady, an Oriole fan, was harassing us yankee fans. She kept screaming obsenities and "Yankees Suck" the whole game. A few people yelled back at her, yet she walked out of the stadium alive and untouched. So I'm not buying the "poverty" excuse.
Oh please, now you're comparing baseball to football? Somehow Derek Jeter getting hit by a pitch doesn't evoke the same emotion as Shockey getting hit late by say, Brian Dawkins. You're comparing apples to oranges, what if Giants stadium was in the Bronx? I can tell you what, it would NOT be the same as the Meadowlands. Look at Oakland and Baltimore. Go to any Ravens or Raiders games, and then to A's or O's. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE, I talk from personal experience. Baseball is not an agressive game, football is violent. Many thugs would say yes in a heartbeat to going to a football game over baseball, especially if it's in their own backyard.

You're also forgetting, Yankee fans have a reputation to uphold as classy. Eagles fans have a reputation to uphold as well, don't think that the stigma has nothing to do with behavior...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Argo
Oh please, now you're comparing baseball to football? Somehow Derek Jeter getting hit by a pitch doesn't evoke the same emotion as Shockey getting hit late by say, Brian Dawkins. You're comparing apples to oranges, what if Giants stadium was in the Bronx? I can tell you what, it would NOT be the same as the Meadowlands. Look at Oakland and Baltimore. Go to any Ravens or Raiders games, and then to A's or O's. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE, I talk from personal experience. Baseball is not an agressive game, football is violent. Many thugs would say yes in a heartbeat to going to a football game over baseball, especially if it's in their own backyard.

You're also forgetting, Yankee fans have a reputation to uphold as classy. Eagles fans have a reputation to uphold as well, don't think that the stigma has nothing to do with behavior...
Raider Fans aren't that tough (well at the game) they just like dressing up as a bunch of Idiots. I use to go to Raider/ Niner Games and the Raider fans weren't any worse than the Niner fans. In fact when the game were played in Candlestick they were somewhat timid for the most part. The tough Raider Fan is just a myth!

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: y2kc

impoverished fans? nope. most of the people that sit in the 700 level are season ticket holders, I know quite a few and I work with quite a few as well. season tickets are not cheap, these people are not spending their welfare checks on this luxury... Are they the classiest people in Philly? no, alot of them are not, but they are definitely not the bottom of the barrel income wise in Philly.. a lot are blue collar, service industry folks with mortgages and SUVs.. sophisticates they are not, but nor are they welfare moms and deadbeat dads. ignorant and obnoxious? yes, they start tailgating (drinking like fish) at 7 in the morning whether the game starts at 1pm or 8pm. by the time the game starts they've been drunk and sober several times over and they get off on being "philly fans"....

Are these fans that you speak of, ideaologically like the ones mentioned in the article (like the guy who hit and ran, ones who throw entire cups of beer on kids)? Didn't think so...

I'm explaining why the idiots act the way they do... b/c they most likely and statistically come from a lower standard of living than your normal season ticket holders. Spatially, and economically speaking, it is a logical explanation. Who do you think buys the cheap tickets (you described season ticketholders who rarely cause trouble b/c they don't want to lose their seats)? Would you say that the majority of fans (non season tick holders) who buy the cheap seats, or any seats for that matter, are close to the profile you described (SUV, middle class)? I would have to disagree if you said yes, on the premise of poverty level as a whole of Philadelphia (50% or more), location of stadium, and evidence of unprecendented levels of violence and crime in Philly's schools (which is reflective of the parents). And you can bet your britches that 90% of those bad families' are all diehard Eagles' fans.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I wonder if the lower income fans who have an excuse to behave in this manner typically afford tickets in the same area as the player's wives and the mayor of the visiting team.