Philadelphia bans 3d printed guns

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/11/21/philly-becomes-first-city-ban-3-d-gun-printing/

Today, the Philadelphia City Council voted unanimously to ban the manufacturing of guns by 3-D printers, making Philly the first city to do so.

Finally the children are safe, they will be hurt no more by plastic guns...

Some of the comments are interesting there, the law states that any part of the gun can't be made, and a 3d printer also covers a cnc machine, so forget about machining any part of a gun too. These guys are so smrt.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Lovejoy-284x300.png

Everyone can rest easy now and the city will be a crimeless safe-heaven now where EVERYONE obeys the laws.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, because regular, better, cheaper, more dangerous illegal guns are just so hard to come by in Philly. :D

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
When are they going to ban regular manufactured weapons?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I thought the OP's avatar was perfect for this thread. A great big LOL.

Since the law apparently says any "part" - can't wait for the first innocent person to have their life terribly inconvenienced by an arrest, "well, maybe you didn't intend this to be used as a part of a gun, but it looks just like this gun part." "But, but, it's the handle for the hole saw I was making." "Sorry, looks just like the handle of a gun. Off to jail with you."

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Philadelphia bans 3d printed guns

Federal law grants citizens the right to make our own guns.

The firearms we make ourselves can not be sold or transferred to anyone else.

Local law can not override federal law.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Thank goodness we have the Philadelphia City Council to pass common-sense laws that will be sure to keep Philadelphia free of guns.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
wheres moonfuck claiming that republican brains are damaged and controlled by fear?

Moonbeam isn't even participating in this thread, so that's a callout.

Number two? We're not going to allow moonfuck to be substituted for moonbeam.

So that needs to stop.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Federal law grants citizens the right to make our own guns.

The firearms we make ourselves can not be sold or transferred to anyone else.

Local law can not override federal law.
I had heard this a few times in the past, and didn't believe it. Wow, it's true, as far as I can tell. (Located in here: https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf ) Thus, I wonder if someone would be able to argue that this new law is unconstitutional or something? Seems that the NRA might be all over this.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I had heard this a few times in the past, and didn't believe it. Wow, it's true, as far as I can tell. (Located in here: https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf ) Thus, I wonder if someone would be able to argue that this new law is unconstitutional or something? Seems that the NRA might be all over this.

I would imagine this is based on old english law, that people have a right to make their own swords, spears and bows to protect their property and family.

To backup my opinion I present the The English Bill of Rights. Which was enacted by the English Parliament and singed into law by King William III in 1689.

http://www.thegloriousrevolution.org/docs/english bill of rights.htm

That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law

I look for this law Philadelphia passed to be struck down.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So the city council wasted a lot of time and money enacting an ordinance that's unconstitutional, the ordinance will now have to be challenged in court, wasting a great deal more time and money. All of this so they can present the image of doing something.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
wheres moonfuck claiming that republican brains are damaged and controlled by fear? [/b]

My Dearest Michael, I believe that when it comes to gun control it's non gun owning liberals who are irrationally frightened by the fanatical insanity of gun nuts, and think that if guns were illegal and disappeared we'd all be safer. (That is very likely true but it's not going to happen.) But this is because, having no guns themselves, they know the only guns that will ever be turned on them belong to somebody else. They don't trust gun nuts because gun nuts are obviously insane, having brain defects as it were. What they fail to realize, in general, I think, is that most people who own guns are just like them, they have no intention of shooting anybody. I sure hope this is true anyway because I have so many guns I can't picture them all to count then in my head, but enough that I could wipe out my neighborhood.

So while my neighborhood, here in California is quite liberal and the neighbors might not sleep if they knew, I can promise you they are safe and safer even then they imagine, because if anybody tries to harm them I'll do what I can to stop it from happening. The bad part, however, is that I own so much junk I'm not exactly sure where they are and it would take me some time to find them. This does, however, lessen my greatest danger, the possibility that I might shoot myself.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
These guys are just a bunch of idiots. What they're doing is completely idiotic and just shows how extreme the gun control supporters are.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
How many days do we give this "law" before it gets overturned on 2nd amendment grounds?

All it takes is one arrest, one court battle. But for now 3D printed guns are still a gimmick at best, so I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
All it takes is one arrest, one court battle. But for now 3D printed guns are still a gimmick at best, so I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

Hey... this Pennsylvania you're talking about here! Many schools in rural areas still give the day off school of the first day of deer season. I wouldn't be suprised if an NRA lifetime member was ordering a 3D printer right now just so they could film themselves printing something out on YouTube.

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I thought the OP's avatar was perfect for this thread. A great big LOL.

Since the law apparently says any "part" - can't wait for the first innocent person to have their life terribly inconvenienced by an arrest, "well, maybe you didn't intend this to be used as a part of a gun, but it looks just like this gun part." "But, but, it's the handle for the hole saw I was making." "Sorry, looks just like the handle of a gun. Off to jail with you."

Reminds me of this guy's story. Poor bastard from Michigan gets arrested for driving a car with a compartment built into it in Ohio after the passage of a new law that makes it a felony to have such compartments with the intent to hide and transport drugs in that state. However there were no drugs or illegal items in the car period, not even a firearm or pocket knife present. Yet due to the absurdly rigid nature of Ohio's new drug law this guy had to be arrested and charged as if he actually had drugs in the car in order to be turned into a example for statists to jerk off too.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/21/driver-arrested-in-ohio-for-secret-car-c

Last edited:

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
How long until someone makes a t-shirt that shows the code to print a gun, just like DeCSS did with DVD decryption? :)

tshirt_back.jpg